Noisy Transformer

McChuch

I am hoping that someone, somewhere out there can help us. The transformer adjacent to our new home is buzzing constantly and LOUDLY. We have called EGAT, but they claim that the salt air from the sea is causing this buzzing and that in high season it will go away. Well, we are here year-round. Also, I have heard transformers that are inland which also make this terribly annoying noise and are miles from the sea. There is a new transformer not too far from us that is purring away silently.....you wouldn't even know it was there. I know that if the president of EGAT lived near this thing then the buzzing would be fixed.

It has gotten to the point now that we have constant headaches. In fact, I have resorted to wearing ear plugs around the house.

Is there an electrical engineer out there who could tell us whether or not we need to move?

We have considered hiring a lawyer in order to get some action. This is noise pollution of the insidious kind.

I am hoping that someone, somewhere out there can help us. The transformer adjacent to our new home is buzzing constantly and LOUDLY. We have called EGAT, but they claim that the salt air from the sea is causing this buzzing and that in high season it will go away. Well, we are here year-round. Also, I have heard transformers that are inland which also make this terribly annoying noise and are miles from the sea. There is a new transformer not too far from us that is purring away silently.....you wouldn't even know it was there. I know that if the president of EGAT lived near this thing then the buzzing would be fixed.

It has gotten to the point now that we have constant headaches. In fact, I have resorted to wearing ear plugs around the house.

Is there an electrical engineer out there who could tell us whether or not we need to move?

We have considered hiring a lawyer in order to get some action. This is noise pollution of the insidious kind.

Dont worry if its making that much noise it wont last long.

Maybe consider putting tape on the windows that are on the same side though.

Had such a transformar which was noisy not so far from my backyard but it did take a couple years for an replacement showed up and the noise was away.

About complaining we waited six months for to get an electricity meter, and they told me there was a shortage of meters (Bangkok make mistake) what was BS they wanted extra pocket money 10000 baht.

I did not pay that ofcourse and my neigbour provided power and after a few months waiting I asked my pretty doughter to go to the EGAT office and she told the office workers that we had a big problem now and started to cry a little as instructed.

Three days later we got power.

There is a happy ending to this tale of woe. The developer has connections at EGAT. Yesterday the orange truck came and changed a few cables et voila! No buzzing, no static, no sparks like the 4th of July! The trick is to take photos, especially night ones so you can show which insulators are throwing off sparks. They used my photos to help them decide what to fix. So we are a buzz-free zone (for now).

They came back the next day and covered the insulators with a silicon compound to prevent the sea salt from doing any further damage.

So, if EGAT tells you that nothing can be done.....something can be done. You just have to be persistent.