Worth it: 92 flights at Don Mueang delayed for kids to watch planes fly

webfact

Spend an hour looking at air show disaster videos on youtube, and you will never want to go to one of these things in your life, much less take a child to one. I doesn't seem an appropriate activity for children's day, especially when so many travelers have to suffer long delays as a result. Is anyone with a brain in charge here?

Nok Air changed my daughter's flight time to Phuket to 30 minutes later and informed her by sms a few days before. Ended up being delayed by over 3 hours on the new departure time. No information about how long the delay was going to be until they were finally told to board.

In a country where children never become adults it suddenly makes a lot of sense and whata great way for the country to show the rest of the world who is number one.

The tourists coming and going thought it was a great show and did not mind being inconvenienced, according to a General who suddenly found himself speaking for a famous Tourist body.

"It seems to me ( and yes I was a big mouth supporter PREVIOUSLY) that htis NEW government his JUNTA.........

Just to get your statement in its correct perspective!!smile.png

Have not 3 Generals retired so that they can concentrate on their Government positions ? A junta would be full of serving military personnel.

Why not hold this kind of thing at an airbase??

It is an airbase

like others have said this has been going on for years.. 9 years ago I also was sitting on an incoming international flight going round in circles for an hour waiting for the show to finish..

"It seems to me ( and yes I was a big mouth supporter PREVIOUSLY) that htis NEW government his JUNTA.........

Just to get your statement in its correct perspective!!smile.png

Have not 3 Generals retired so that they can concentrate on their Government positions ? A junta would be full of serving military personnel.

But not a Dictatorship. wai2.gifwai.gif

whistling.gif

Edited by iReason

92 flights affected. Maybe 1000 people who will never go to Thailand again who will advise another 1000 who will advise another 1000 ano. Was it worth it, well a few kids got to hold a gun. They will need that for everyday living as they get older. So who can say.

Went there with my kid. He had a blast.

Apparently it's been like that every year for the past decade

Correct, but there are a lot of complaining members that are obviously so very new to Thailand they are unaware that even the last government had same, same.

Don Mueang air show for Children's Day 2014

Oh...and because you and your bratty kid had a blast and because it happened before...that makes it okay, to inconvenience hundreds of people from near and far!

Perfect Thai- apologists, egomania a gogo!

Edited by DM07

Sometimes I wonder why Thailand doesn't have any circuses for its children while having so many elephants and clowns. Puppet Master (PM) Prayut would make a great Ring Master. The NLA might be thought of as a permanent three-ringed circus but it's not a place you would want your children to visit.

I was there.

The issue was not the delayed flights, although that was a pain the scary part and I think the photos shows is that they started changing the gates from normal proper gates to ones where there was once small hall and everyone gets in line to get on a bus.

Whoever decided to that should be in a lot of trouble.

The scene was chaotic. Our Phuket flight was delayed 2 hours, not a huge deal, but they told everyone to go down to the small gate area, about 5 or 6 flights worth.

There was one escalator and a staircase, that was it.

People were streaming down the escaltor and there was no where to go. I stopped at the top of the escalator with my thai friend as I sensed what could happen....at the bottom of the elevator there was one Farang passenger who also knew something bad was about to happen and he took it on himself to get people off the escalator and out of the way.

NO SECURITY guards or any staff.

At this point no flighst were leaving, there was literally barley standing room....and people just kept coming. The sirline staff was frantic, finally they brought in bottled water and some snacks, after about 45 mins a Thai guy started screaming at the Nok air staff and some tourists starting making noise too, then airport security showed up.

I am not sure if the guy who made the scene is the same one the article speaks about, but I have a feeling it might be.

They finally posted a security guard at the bottom on the escaltor.

In general, the average person is remarkably ignorant when it comes to not realizing that you should not stop when you reach the bottom of the escaltor.

I hate the LCC airlines, and this is one reason why...if my thai buddy had not insisted on taking me to phuket I would not have ben there.

Ther flight delays were one thing, the safety issue and holding literally 100's in a small room was borderline criminal, it could have had a really bad outcome.

I am in NO way a Thai basher on here...but this was a level of dumb that I have not seen in a while, I truly hope something is learned from this.

• Like 2