Where to buy vitamins/supplements in Chiang Mai?

kaiyoma

Judging by a recent lab report, what you read on the label is not always what you get in the bottle - even from some trusted names.

This, for example, was how world leader GNC fared in tests for their herbal supplements in the US.

GNC:

• Six "Herbal Plus" brand herbal supplements per store were purchased and analyzed: Gingko Biloba, St. John's Wort, Ginseng, Garlic, Echinacea, and Saw Palmetto. Purchased from four locations with representative stores in Binghamton, Harlem, Plattsburgh & Suffolk.
  • Only one supplement consistently tested for its labeled contents: Garlic. One bottle of Saw Palmetto tested positive for containing DNA from the saw palmetto plant, while three others did not. The remaining four supplement types yielded mixed results, but none revealed DNA from the labeled herb.
  • Of 120 DNA tests run on 24 bottles of the herbal products purchased, DNA matched label identification 22% of the time.
  • Contaminants identified included asparagus, rice, primrose, alfalfa/clover, spruce, ranuncula, houseplant, allium, legume, saw palmetto, and Echinacea.

Full report here

New York Times article here

Buyer beware

Here's a NewsHour segment on this very topic from the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) in the USA.

just tried to order from iherb for the first time

see this on their order page

Please Note: Due to Thailand customs currently preventing importing of our products we have currently suspended shipping orders to Thailand with DHL Express or UPS International. We are currently working with customs to determine what we can do to get our packages to be allowed entry into your country. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

just tried to order from iherb for the first time

see this on their order page

Please Note: Due to Thailand customs currently preventing importing of our products we have currently suspended shipping orders to Thailand with DHL Express or UPS International. We are currently working with customs to determine what we can do to get our packages to be allowed entry into your country. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Yes, I contacted them directly and they said that they'd send to me if I insisted but that they'd had a lot of problems with orders not arriving. I said I'd risk it and tried an order anyway. That was about 4 months ago and I'm still waiting. Not blaming them at all because they gave me fair warning. I'm glad that some people are getting their orders though and no idea what is going on but obviously it's not just me as iherb themselves have said that it's a big enough problem that they'd rather not ship here.

They told me

1. They can send international air only if

a. it is 80 dollars or less for the order

b. It is 4 lbs or less as well for the order

I you go over a or b then you can't send, you have to do multiple orders

Also they said some things still might not make it anyway as Thailand sees supplements as drugs, so if you get pill supplements you might

not get them unless you go through a broker or have a doctor notice etc etc.....

I wanted both supplements and non supplements

Anyone have any experiences with their system as it is now. Iherb said they still have a pretty good success rate to the country with the process if you follow above, but its a chance u got to take as it will be non refundable etc if you lose it

How do you guys measure the effectiveness of these herbs? So you pop 12 pills per day and don't suffer gout. Does that mean the pills are working? From what i have read, most, nearly all, herbal products are scams and of no merit. But that does not mean that you cannot believe otherwise.

How do you guys measure the effectiveness of these herbs? So you pop 12 pills per day and don't suffer gout. Does that mean the pills are working? From what i have read, most, nearly all, herbal products are scams and of no merit. But that does not mean that you cannot believe otherwise.

I dont take herbs, but there are some vitamins where the evidence is so overwhelmingly supportive it is worth taking on faith (Vitamin D3, vitamin K)

Such an odd comment.

While there are many who want to believe in a magical solution to their real (or imagined or self-diagnosed problems), herbals, vitamins and minerals, and similarly bottled items for the most part are considered or even classified as 'food supplements'.

There may be many reasons why your normal dietary intake doesn't provide the right balance for your body to self-regulate for good health.

Other times, you're actually trying to knock your system out of whack to induce a certain response.

Do you eat yogurt? Why?

Do you eat food bathed in vinegar? Why?

Then there are the body builders who want high carbs or high protein.

There are lots of effective reasons for using these things.

There are also a lot of hype and hope being peddled.

Want to measure the 'effectiveness'? Get tests done alone the way.

If you actually diagnosed as suffering from gout (said to initially be caused by an excess of uric acid in the blood from consuming red meat, poultry and seafood) then change your diet, and if that doesn't completely alleviate the issue then look at what you can 'take' to that will assist in reduce the uric acid in the blood. It might just require a 'food supplement' or it may require a pharmaceutical. Effectiveness can both be measured by reduced pain and swelling, along with reading results of regular blood tests.

Why does it say on there website they are no longer shipping to Thailand ?

I never said they were not shipping at all to Thailand

I said that only the International Air option was available and you had to have an order 80 dollars or less and 4lbs in total weight or less.

As I stated in post #35 the other options were no longer available. I only noticed this when I tried to check out and buy something

it was then I got the new Thailand Instructions.

I also talked to the live support and they told me only Air was available and if you are sending supplements you might have some problems getting them as Thailand sees supplements as drugs

In any case if you plan to do it, there seems to be some risk, I dont think a huge one but it seems some people have had bad luck with iherbs but just the minority while most have had good luck, if you follow the above rules

I plan to order and take the chance, it is my first time, so will see if I get it or not:)

Edited by kevindorian

• 2 weeks later...

got mine as well ordered on 16th and arrived today the 28th and was left at my condo front desk.

Condo staff said it was 10 baht fee for the postage.... cant complain on that

sorry mate they are pocketing 3 baht! It should be 7 baht ;)

my last package also was charged 7 baht. if anyone is interested in a coupon for % of iherb send me a pm.