Thai Police Spokesman: Zigzag markings are common in Europe

webfact

Police Spokesman: Zigzag markings are common in Europe

BANGKOK, 12 January 2015 (NNT) - Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police, has explained that zigzag road markings ahead of pedestrian crossings which have been recently introduced for trial use to roads around Bangkok are one of the traffic signs commonly used in European countries especially around community zones to further road safety.

The zigzag lines warn motorists and car drivers to slow down their vehicle’s speed ahead of zebra crossings or coming barriers. After being introduced to Asoke Montri Road for trial use, the Royal Thai Police plans to extend the use of the sign to the front of schools and other educational institutes.

Pol Lt Gen Prawut said he also called a meeting of all related police units today to make sure traffic management plans are being implemented on the same track. Under the plan, policemen will help expedite the flow of traffic during rush hours. Numerous small lanes, sub-roads, unnecessary intersections and U-turn are closed to allow traffic on the main roads flowing as smooth as possible.

He revealed that the plan has been implemented on a trial basis on Sukhumvit Road, Rama 2 Road, Rama 9 Road and Bangna Road and showed a satisfactory result.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-12 footer_n.gif

Zig-zag lines to confuse drivers into not killing pedestrians
By Coconuts Bangkok

zigzag.jpg
Photos: AkaravutTV9

BANGKOK: -- Next time the roadway seems to go all wavy, it might not be your criminal drunkenness to blame.

To warn motorists to slow down before pedestrian crossings and hopefully reduce the numbers of road-crossers killed on their feet, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will paint intersections with wild zig-zag lines as a new traffic-calming measure.

Following numerous accidents, 15-meter-long, zig-zag lines will be painted before problem crosswalks, Suthon Anakul, Director of Traffic Engineering Office, said Saturday.

Suthon explained that the zig-zag lines would trick motorists to think the roads are narrower, causing them to slow down. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/12/zig-zag-lines-confuse-drivers-not-killing-pedestrians

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-12

• Like 1

In the event of a serious accident, impound the vehicles and pass a law to leave the cars on the side of the road as a warning to other motorists. Failing that, an IQ test for all drivers.. The bigger the engine the harder the test.

I take, you drive a 50cc scooter!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

ok ok...now I understand... my Thai wife thought I pulled up a post that was a joke,,, this i don't think it is for people driving ... rather ...should you encounter a Horny elephant... MY GOD ...ZIG... then Zag... you Thais think of everything! https://bay177.mail.live.com/?tid=cmZYWT4jua5BGIRwAjfeP1iA2&fid=flinbox ...perhaps one day they'll not drive so stupidly as to drive on the Wrong side of the road...I love Thailand... lets keep the faith... Zig Zag in prevention of a Horny Elephant... It Has to be!!

Edited by justntime

Yes and driving like a total selfish idiot is also common in Europe......untill the police sees it....then you pay them a bribe which is common in Europe giggle.gif

Soi dogs are also common in Europe, and motorists who buy a driverslicense for 12 euro thumbsup.gif

Making your own traffic rules is also very common in Europe and of course bigger cars get special treatment because they must be rich tongue.pngfacepalm.gif

Policemen also can speak english in Europe by the way or they wouldn't be policemen.rolleyes.gif

So funny, since when can we compare a 5 star continent with Thailand?