Red Shirts Banned From Redshirt Leader's Memorial Service

Lite Beer

Red Shirts Banned From Redshirt Leader's Memorial Service

By Khaosod Eng

14210607591421060852l.jpg

BANGKOK — Mourners wearing red shirts were prohibited by police from attending yesterday’s memorial service for Apiwan Wiriyachai, a popular Redshirt leader who passed away in exile 100 days ago.

Officers manned the entrance of Wat Bang Phai temple in Nonthaburi province yesterday to enforce the ban and offer free white T-shirts to anyone who arrived in red, the color that has come to symbolize allegiance to Thailand’s Redshirt movement.

According to police, the measure was an effort to ensure that no "political symbols" would appear at the service.

Apiwan, a former Pheu Thai MP and Deputy House Speaker, died of lung cancer while he was living in political exile in the Philippines on 7 October. The politician is believed to have fled Thailand shortly after the military staged a coup against the Redshirt-allied government on 22 May, 2014.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421060759

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-12

they wanted to make a statement. They deserved to get banned.

Would you not rather live in a country where political statements can be made than one that represses anything different than the ruling elite? I think it`s safe to assume you were brought up in the former rather than the later, why the change of heart?

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to sayit." - Voltaire

Agree with you, but there is a (right) time for everything!

On the other hand I must admit, if the police just had ignored it, the story would never had ended up in the headlines.................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Not showing very much respect for their dead comrade by wearing red at his memorial-service!!

Tradition says black and/or white!!

Another stupid and meaningless statement by airheads!!

Correct. And they were given white shirts instead at the door. I read in another paper.

What about all the people who wear yellow....guess they wont get banned.

Today was a Monday, I also wore yellow. Probably pink tomorrow, orange Wednesday (my personal favorite colour), Thursday green and Friday blue.

• Like 2

Today was a Monday, I also wore yellow. Probably pink tomorrow, orange Wednesday (my personal favorite colour), Thursday green and Friday blue.

Didn't know they had those color traditions in Holland as well. coffee1.gif

Didn't know they had those color traditions in Holland as well. coffee1.gif

In Holland every day is Wednesday..........................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Not showing very much respect for their dead comrade by wearing red at his memorial-service!!

Tradition says black and/or white!!

Another stupid and meaningless statement by airheads!!

since it's no longer the month of december, then wearing black is OK again.

in political exile like his paymaster, sorry but as far as I am concerned its one less terrorist to worry about. Doesnt matter which shirt colour it is, they are both bad news and the sooner they are all gone the better for the country as they are the ones that screw it all up. Its time for the ordinary people of Thailand to have a country free of turmoil caused by these two groups and their leaders.

The ordinary people of Thailand are the ones wearing the coloured shirts and voting in elections, what Thailand needs to be free of is evident to all and sundry with at least an ounce of grey matter between their ears

• Like 1

they wanted to make a statement. They deserved to get banned.

Would you not rather live in a country where political statements can be made than one that represses anything different than the ruling elite? I think it`s safe to assume you were brought up in the former rather than the later, why the change of heart?

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to sayit." - Voltaire

Agree with you, but there is a (right) time for everything!

On the other hand I must admit, if the police just had ignored it, the story would never had ended up in the headlines.................coffee1.gif

It only ended up in the headline of Khao Sod News AKA Red Shirt News.

I'm really thinking seriously about changing my style a la Mark Zuckerberg, to wear a grey T-shirt and blue jeans everyday.

Why waste time with "silly" decisions about what color shirt to wear?

I want to spend more time on the important things in life, like how to change my age to 30 and my net worth to a Billion, 555

• Like 1