Thai Police Arrest Six Peruvians For Cocaine Smuggling

george

Who cares about overcrowded jails?? I care about kids in high school, stuff all drug related suppliers in jail, for a long time, and the problem is solved!

Nobody wants to go to jail, especially a tough jail, (or at least I imagine!), so, let them be an example!!

If smugglers don’t risk anything, where is the end??

the obvious fatal flaw in your argument is that people who smuggle very often imagine that THEY will not be caught...hence people keep doing it, hoping to get lucky..

putting drug dealers, smugglers, users, or suppliers in jail certainly has not proved to be a deterrent so far, so why do you imagine that it will be so in future?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$3K for their life. Unbelievably stupid.....Oh well

Look, the minimum wage in Peru (and, by coincidence, Thailand too) is something like $100 per month, if you're lucky enough to have a job.

In other words, they did it for the equivalent of 2 1/2 years of [minimum] wages.

In the west, the equivalent would be approximately 10 times as much, $30000.

I can imagine stupid young guys would do a lot for $30000 here in the west.

It's the equivalent of a tuned up Civic or something like that, a pocket sized street racer.

There are young uneducated unemployed guys here in the U.S that would KILL for that kind of

money. And occasionally they do.

There several bank robberies every day in the U.S. And the robbers make away with an average of something like $3000, along with a very high probability of getting caught. It's totally ridiclous.

The drug lords on either side of the trade don't give a flying f... if 6 mules get caught. The profit margins for that stuff are so high that they wouldn't care if 50% got intercepted. Lost a few poor peruvians? - you can bet they already sent another 12.

I remember a few years back the U.S. coast guard seized a ship with several tons worth of cocaine. The FBI figured that would drive up the market prices inside the U.S., but you know what happened? Nothing. The prices didn't change one bit.

What I am wondering is if they have such good intelligence why do they even bother catching the mules? Why don't they at least catch the main dealer in Thailand instead (maybe watch the mules after they arrived?).

In my opinion, the only way to get rid of drug related crimes is to legalize these drugs in a controlled way, e.g. give them away by the government. The junkies would be happy and allowed to destroy their lives as they see fit, just like they are with alcohol and cigarettes, and the mafia would have one less source of income.

Who cares about overcrowded jails?? I care about kids in high school, stuff all drug related suppliers in jail, for a long time, and the problem is solved!

Nobody wants to go to jail, especially a tough jail, (or at least I imagine!), so, let them be an example!!

If smugglers don’t risk anything, where is the end??

the obvious fatal flaw in your argument is that people who smuggle very often imagine that THEY will not be caught...hence people keep doing it, hoping to get lucky..

putting drug dealers, smugglers, users, or suppliers in jail certainly has not proved to be a deterrent so far, so why do you imagine that it will be so in future?

No matter what crime you talk about you can always find someone desperate enough to do it for money. I mean you can practically hire someone for a hit in Thailand for the cost of some fried pork and sticky rice. And the murder rate here in Thailand is pretty high. Does this justify the legalization of murder?

I mean putting murders in jail in Thailand certainly has not proved to be a deterrent so far, so why do you imagine that is will be so in the future?

Like most crime it is generally tied to economics. If we could magically make everyone’s lot in life better than most crime would go away. But this is the real world and IMHO the best solution is to have laws that protect those in society that want to do good, and do not want to harm society as a whole – IMHO drugs and the drug culture is harmful and should remain illegal.

No matter what crime you talk about you can always find someone desperate enough to do it for money. I mean you can practically hire someone for a hit in Thailand for the cost of some fried pork and sticky rice. And the murder rate here in Thailand is pretty high. Does this justify the legalization of murder?

I mean putting murders in jail in Thailand certainly has not proved to be a deterrent so far, so why do you imagine that is will be so in the future?

Like most crime it is generally tied to economics. If we could magically make everyone’s lot in life better than most crime would go away. But this is the real world and IMHO the best solution is to have laws that protect those in society that want to do good, and do not want to harm society as a whole – IMHO drugs and the drug culture is harmful and should remain illegal.

I think there is a big distinction between homicide and what is often a "victimless" crime, in the sense that drug smuggling may or may not harm people and certainly is not conducted with the express intention to murder...although of course there are plenty of drug-related deaths.

I agree that the unequal distribution of wealth globally accounts for much crime against persons and property....but certainly not all...see thread re murder of child-pageant queen...

Your views on the social body & serving the greater good would take us into a discussion of philosophy and ethics which is beyond the scope of this topic, so I will rein in here and merely say that IMHO laws that decriminalise drug usage and control supply would be useful in curbing criminal activity- at the level of organised crime as well as on the street.

The so called mules must have known the penality for smuggling drugs in to Thailand, so I really have no sympathy for them.

The police must also look deeper into who is the buyer and deal with them as well

The so called mules must have known the penality for smuggling drugs in to Thailand, so I really have no sympathy for them.

The police must also look deeper into who is the buyer and deal with them as well

Exactly, so it’s jail time!, hopefully the police will catch the suppliers as well !

Fruitcake only wants to “legalize dope” for there consumption, don’t give a shit about kids!

Good example is Holland, it’s getting out of hand with hard and soft drugs, smugglers from the Antilles only get send back home to try again later!

they were probably so ignorant to the laws here that they may have been lead into believing that it was no big deal. Sadly they are about to find out how screwed they are, literally! The rest of my life in a Thai prison or death? hmm what to do, what to do? yes Ice is like a hard core version of meth if meth isnt hard core enough.

Crystal Meth in some form= ice

sorry mate,

but can you please tell me of one place on this earth where its not a big deal to smuggle coke in? im struggling to think of one and ive been around a bit.

cheers mate :ote]

Bolivia?

cricky's mate,

you just thrown a swerve ball at my top self. :D

thats a very good reply and you have got my brain matter flowing. :D

bolivia is well know as the cocain capital in the world. :D

i mean you could possibly pay off the immigration and customs but you'd want a top contact . :D

definitetly possible but not easy. :D

do you really think they could just slip in through the main airport loaded up with all this gear. ? :D

i know that getting coke through the land borders is not a huge challenge. so to answer your opinion ,

id think it is still a big deal to smuggle coke through bolivia. :D

if you got any more give it a whirl and we possibly get a collection of places for people to smuggle coke in. :D

cheers mate :o:D

Reminds me of a movie I saw recently...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fineline/mariafullofgrace/

Sad that the real scumbags get away and the poor mules many years in a stinking Thai prison or maybe even death. Not sure about the penalty.

not quite sure that we can call them poor mules ?

they decided that they would do the run and knew the consequences of playing this game with the thai authority's.

jesus mate, all the books about the big tiger and they rolled the dice and lost. :D

the punishment is life in frigging prison and they still had a crack.

sorry, but i aint got to much sympathy for them. :D

dont know if you got kids or not but if they got hooked on coke because these guys got in you might think a tad different. :D

any way , just my thoughts.

cheers mate :o

When I said "poor" I meant more along the lines of $$$ not that I have sympathy for them. Just that I would like to see the druglords get their just rewards. Which one do you think is worse, the mule or the druglord?

Exactly, so it’s jail time!, hopefully the police will catch the suppliers as well !

Fruitcake only wants to “legalize dope” for there consumption, don’t give a shit about kids!

Good example is Holland, it’s getting out of hand with hard and soft drugs, smugglers from the Antilles only get send back home to try again later!

I have tried to make my position on this topic very clear: obviously you are incapable of understanding any position which is slightly more complex than a "yeah, shoot the buzzards" approach, but let me say it again on the off-chance that you may actually read what I say this time:

It is because I have a long and painful family history of siblings and a daughter who have suffered unnecessarily because of the illegal status of drugs that I advocate legalisation. I do not seek to promote drug use: on the contrary. There have been times when I would like to have shot dealers and many times when I would love to have seen all the substances in the world flushed down a giant toilet.....trouble is none of this solves the problem. There have always been drugs, there always will be. You yourself promote a type of drug (albeit legal) through your own avatar. The real question is how do we minimise the harm to people? And my answer, even if you don't agree with me, is that legalisation can to some extent control the circumstances of drug use to make it safer for those who have the misfortune to be addicted, and also to remove the most harmful effects of a black-market. I could go into further detail, but will not deviate from the topic any further. I know that you disagree with me and I know I will not change your mind. You could however have the courtesy to respect our different points of view without resorting to extremely offensive remarks about my "caring". I care very much and have done voluntary work with drug-addicted people.

I say: put em in jail, long long time with lots of media, an exemple for others!

:o

What about putting alchole-smugglers in jail (like in so many Arab countries)??? So their teenagers don't use anything to dull there senses. Can you you give me a serious answer here Jimmy5L?

I say: put em in jail, long long time with lots of media, an exemple for others!

What about putting alchole-smugglers in jail (like in so many Arab countries)??? So their teenagers don't use anything to dull there senses. Can you you give me a serious answer here Jimmy5L?

Alchole ??? You mean alcohol-smugglers?? This is a muslim problem,

btw, one beer is a bit different then one xtc or yaba pill, 10 beers and you have maybe a headache the nest day, 10 xtc or yaba pills and your whole life is gone!

I have tried to make my position on this topic very clear: obviously you are incapable of understanding any position which is slightly more complex than a "yeah, shoot the buzzards" approach, but let me say it again on the off-chance that you may actually read what I say this time:

It is because I have a long and painful family history of siblings and a daughter who have suffered unnecessarily because of the illegal status of drugs that I advocate legalisation. I do not seek to promote drug use: on the contrary. There have been times when I would like to have shot dealers and many times when I would love to have seen all the substances in the world flushed down a giant toilet.....trouble is none of this solves the problem. There have always been drugs, there always will be. You yourself promote a type of drug (albeit legal) through your own avatar. The real question is how do we minimise the harm to people? And my answer, even if you don't agree with me, is that legalisation can to some extent control the circumstances of drug use to make it safer for those who have the misfortune to be addicted, and also to remove the most harmful effects of a black-market. I could go into further detail, but will not deviate from the topic any further. I know that you disagree with me and I know I will not change your mind. You could however have the courtesy to respect our different points of view without resorting to extremely offensive remarks about my "caring". I care very much and have done voluntary work with drug-addicted people.

I have tried to make my position on this topic very clear: obviously you’re incapable of understanding that drugs are no good for kids or anyone! Maybe you donn't care, or maybe you haven’t noticed while working with junkies?? Legalisation?? Go to Amsterdam and you find out the disaster!

Alchole ??? You mean alcohol-smugglers?? This is a muslim problem,

btw, one beer is a bit different then one xtc or yaba pill, 10 beers and you have maybe a headache the nest day, 10 xtc or yaba pills and your whole life is gone!

You didn't answer my question? Do you think it right to put alchol-smuggler in jail, in Arab countries(If you were workin' there)????

Every country has there law, in the USA there are still dry states, so, if you go to a country where alcohol is forbidden or: don’t go, or: keep yourself on their law, so yes I think it’s normal when you’re going to a Arab country you try to smuggle alcohol in you go to jail.

I spend 6 months in Kuwait no beer, I worked with muslims from arab countries and they where every night drunk, but that is an other story!

I’m dutch, so, by you’re thinking, this means I can go to every country and get stoned?? No, no, I keep myself to the local law!

Euhhh, you think this is not normal????

drugs are for medication, under suprvision of proffesionals.

drugs are taken by losers in general that can not get by in normal situations and need a lift, they will beg steal or borrow even kill for thier next fix,

and the only way to deal with this is punish any one that is involved with drugs,

i would even go as far as incarcerating the users and conviscating thier belongings to pay for rehabilitation so it does not become a burden on the tax payers of any particular country.

drugs bad news all round

$3K for their life. Unbelievably stupid.....Oh well

Look, the minimum wage in Peru (and, by coincidence, Thailand too) is something like $100 per month, if you're lucky enough to have a job.

In other words, they did it for the equivalent of 2 1/2 years of [minimum] wages.

In the west, the equivalent would be approximately 10 times as much, $30000.

I can imagine stupid young guys would do a lot for $30000 here in the west.

It's the equivalent of a tuned up Civic or something like that, a pocket sized street racer.

There are young uneducated unemployed guys here in the U.S that would KILL for that kind of

money. And occasionally they do.

I cannot see how they got detected unless they already had been fed to the police in advance. Wouldnt surprise me if suitacse go through full and a few small ones get tipped to the police...

There is just no way that if nobody knows that you have that stuff in your stomage that you would get caught by the police at any airport unless they xray passengers... or there was a tipoff

Look as a warning to all would-be couriers/mules TV folk etc 9 times out of 10 the mules caught is not by the 'customs 6th sense' but by tip-offs and 'betrayal' (if you can call it that). Often known in the drug industry as a 'decoy courier' or to put it bluntly the mug who is definately getting caught (the 'tell' is in the low amount they are usually carrying), these saps are condemned men walking the moment they agree.

The sick thing is the authorities know this happens but accepts the dangled carrot-bribe from the mr bigs in return for the small PR victory at the airport.

Everytime the mug mules get caught its a reminder that the minnows may of been snared but the whales have already slipped through.

Sad that the real scumbags get away and the poor mules many years in a stinking Thai prison or maybe even death. Not sure about the penalty.

they decided that they would do the run and knew the consequences of playing this game with the thai authority's.

jesus mate, all the books about the big tiger and they rolled the dice and lost. :D

dont know if you got kids or not but if they got hooked on coke because these guys got in you might think a tad different. :D

Dude:

if you were living in the mountains of Peru, and had a family, and had no job, and your family was starving, and some a))hole came and offerecd you 3 K US to be a mule, you would take it and kiss his A**, and say thank you, rather than let your family starve.

it is easy to judge when you sit on your fat Ar**e and make these comments, with your stomack full, some people don't have the luxury.

Personally, leagalize it, control it, tax the hel_l out of it. if not, then go after the bosses, not the poor dumg mules.

mate,

im hearing you loud and clear and i say frigging legalise every drug and let the punters go for it as they will never stop drugs mate.

sorry mate but cant agree with your analogy of the poor peruvian farmer whos going to bolt through an airport all loaded up with coke to support his family.

sure there's plenty of punters who will pull it on, but have a little think about it mate?

the price is high if you get busted so the family man would have to consider this factor.

puruvians arn"t big travellers so they look sussed strait up and a good target for a search.

any way cobber who frigging told you i had a big arse any way ? :D

next time you see him tell him im of to jenny craig to do something about it. :D

cheers mate :D

I personally feel gutted for the 6. For the mules living in poverty being given the opportunity to improve the quality of life for their families there would've been thousands that would have taken that risk. I have little sympathy for those further up the food chain in the higher level trade. Its easy to judge but until we're really desperate none of us know what we would do. I've met many mules through my work, some were desperate, some really nice young people just incredibly naive / stupid carrying parcels for boyfriends etc but paying for the mistake for the rest of their lives.

we need to get the big players, no doubt about that at all. :D

but i feel we all must take responsibility for our own actions and if you play the game you must pay the man. :D

remember that if they are succesfull they clean up, so why should they not pay when the drop the ball. :D

cheers :o

they were probably so ignorant to the laws here that they may have been lead into believing that it was no big deal. Sadly they are about to find out how screwed they are, literally! The rest of my life in a Thai prison or death? hmm what to do, what to do? yes Ice is like a hard core version of meth if meth isnt hard core enough.

sorry mate,

but can you please tell me of one place on this earth where its not a big deal to smuggle coke in? :D

im struggling to think of one and ive been around a bit. :D

Here in Holland mate ,if you get arrested with 5 kilo coke on schiphol airport and your an antillian or colombian whatever you get send back to your homecountry without prosicution ,we have hundreds of them every year,but if you have a ducth passport you will have to go 5 years to prison maximum

cricky's,

i knew the dutch where liberal and open but thats just plain rediculous mate. :D

you live there so your telling the story but im struggling to understand it. :D

if they just send them home every bloody puruvian would be having a crack at it , would they not ?

are you sure on that one?

can you please tell me of one place on this earth where its not a big deal to smuggle coke in? :D

I don't know, really, what they're going to get, but Thailand and some other SE-Asian countries are known to have extremely tough sentences when it comes to drugs, In the Western world this kind of crime would mean a certain amount of years in prison, perhaps upto ten, but might be considerable less also. Very high sentences are usually reserved for the criminal minds behind drug trafficking, rather than the food solders. They'd probably get a tough sentence too, yes, but there would still be a life to look forward to after prison's over.

here in australia for a drug bust like that one you would pull 15 years just for being a mule. :D

they are really trying to tackle the problem but cricky"s mate, there wasting there time and should just legalise it, tax it and let the punters lose. :D

plenty of coke in oz but you need plenty of bug bunny to play.

its isolated to yuppies, business men and judges. :D

poor johnny punter like me cant afford it. :D

cheers mate :o:D

The basic problem here is the status thing. That's why these rich local kids want cocaine--they just aren't happy buying OTOP yaa Baa!

Yes, I am only joking, drugs are serious, but this thread is getting way too serious!

This is one of the most ignorant comments I have seen on this forum. You have been around huh. Ever set foot outside the tourist resorts and entered the real world? :D:o

cricky's mate, you bight like a white pointer and i was being real polite like.

any way fella, thats ok as i know i was right but you are well intitled to your opinion. :D

Every country has there law, in the USA there are still dry states, so, if you go to a country where alcohol is forbidden or: don’t go, or: keep yourself on their law, so yes I think it’s normal when you’re going to a Arab country you try to smuggle alcohol in you go to jail.

I spend 6 months in Kuwait no beer, I worked with muslims from arab countries and they where every night drunk, but that is an other story!

I’m dutch, so, by you’re thinking, this means I can go to every country and get stoned?? No, no, I keep myself to the local law!

Sorry there are no dry states in the USA, and if you could name one, than you win a cookie

Sorry there are no dry states in the USA, and if you could name one, than you win a cookie

Yes sorry, I meant dry county. And there are lots of them in the south!

sorry mate,

but can you please tell me of one place on this earth where its not a big deal to smuggle coke in? :D

Here in Holland mate ,if you get arrested with 5 kilo coke on schiphol airport and your an antillian or colombian whatever you get send back to your homecountry without prosicution ,we have hundreds of them every year,but if you have a ducth passport you will have to go 5 years to prison maximum

cricky's,

i knew the dutch where liberal and open but thats just plain rediculous mate. :D

if they just send them home every bloody puruvian would be having a crack at it , would they not ?

Yes sure, this was an idee of the "left liberal" gov. Disaster!

sorry mate,

cricky's,

Yes sure, this was an idee of the "left liberal" gov. Disaster!

not a real deterrent is it ? the goverment are incouraging drug smugglers. :D

cricky's mate, i might go over and give it a crack. :D

just a little joke people so back of will ya. :D

cheers punters :D

you have tried to make your position in other threads clear too

and frankly it just dont cut it

this is thailand - do you understand!

Obviously not

I suggest it is time to

1. Lay off the insults and personal attacks.

2. Get back on topic and refrain from debating the whys and wherefores of drugs in general, as Thaivisa is not the forum for doing so.

There is an ignore option for posters you cannot stand. If you want to engage others in debate, feel free to do so, but stay on topic and leave out the insults.

One poster warned so far. Let's not make it any more. :o