How do thais view other asians/south east asians?

ultimate weapon

I'm told they generally worship the Japanese and Koreans, and the Singaporeans to a certain extent. Other than that, it probably comes down to the individual. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on most of em not liking their neighbors here in SE Asia.

• Like 2

Was watching the news on TV a few years ago with a Thai girl. There was a report about

a bus crash in Burma where a bunch of local people had died. She got this happy look on

her face and kept saying " good good !! " Guess Thais are still a bit pissed off at the

Burmese using Thailand as a whipping post in the past....

Laotians are viewed as sort of bumbling country cousins.

Khmers are hated as well due to past wars.

Hard to look down on the Vietnamese, since they defeated two world powers and held

off the Chinese. So think they are ignored here, but perhaps a little bit feared.

Think Malaysians are looked upon as bizarre Muslims who have a bit of oil money, don't know

about having fun. and as someone noted, make really crappy cars.

• Like 1

Was watching the news on TV a few years ago with a Thai girl. There was a report about

a bus crash in Burma where a bunch of local people had died. She got this happy look on

her face and kept saying " good good !! " Guess Thais are still a bit pissed off at the

Hard to look down on the Vietnamese, since they defeated two world powers and held

off the Chinese. So think they are ignored here, but perhaps a little bit feared.

Think Malaysians are looked upon as bizarre Muslims who have a bit of oil money, don't know

Many Thai people speak Khmer and helped the Cambodians during the last conflict. I think if you live in Surin for a while you may change your mind.

The Thais fought against the Vietnamese with the Americans both in Vietnam and when the Vietnamese invaded Thailand in the 1960's and 1970's.

• Like 1

Thai's don't seem to know much about Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam. Perhaps there is little interest.

Thai's, especially Issan people generally see Laos as a kinship in fact many people from Issan tell me they are from Laos.

There is some widespread disdain on Myanmar and Cambodia. History belongs to the victors and I think there is some pretty heavy propaganda in the Thai curriculum.

Many Thai people speak Khmer and helped the Cambodians during the last conflict. I think if you live in Surin for a while you may change your mind.

The Thais fought against the Vietnamese with the Americans both in Vietnam and when the Vietnamese invaded Thailand in the 1960's and 1970's.

invaded !! lol

The Vietnam war spilled over into both Laos and Cambodia, and Thailand was the US's ally during the war, providing both logistical support (air bases) as well as troops, but Vietnam never attacked or invaded Thailand directly.

There is a strong anti-Communist sentiment amongst some Thais, but this has faded considerably as China's and Vietnam's economies have adopted capitalist practices.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

The Vietnam war spilled over into both Laos and Cambodia, and Thailand was the US's ally during the war, providing both logistical support (air bases) as well as troops, but Vietnam never attacked or invaded Thailand directly.

There is a strong anti-Communist sentiment amongst some Thais, but this has faded considerably as China's and Vietnam's economies have adopted capitalist practices.

You can read about a couple of direct attacks below. So no, you are wrong. Vietnam did attack Thailand during the Vietnam war. I could give you some more examples; maybe later.

http://namhoaivu.blogspot.com/2013/05/vietnamese-sapper-attack-plus-den-usa.html

You can read about a couple of direct attacks below. So no, you are wrong. Vietnam did attack Thailand during the Vietnam war. I could give you some more examples; maybe later.

http://namhoaivu.blogspot.com/2013/05/vietnamese-sapper-attack-plus-den-usa.html

a few commando raids across a border against americans does not constitute the country of vietnam attacking the country of thailand.

a few commando raids across a border against americans does not constitute the country of vietnam attacking the country of thailand.

thailiketoo:

I stand corrected regarding the border skirmishes, but you have to admit that your use of the word "invaded" overstated the extent of hostilities as well.

What do armed soldiers blowing up things constitute? A Communist holiday picnic? Vietnam attacked Thailand many many times from the 1960's to 1980's that you don't know about it does not mean it didn't happen.

Vietnamese border raids in Thailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_border_raids_in_Thailand

What do armed soldiers blowing up things constitute? A Communist holiday picnic? Vietnam attacked Thailand many many times from the 1960's to 1980's that you don't know about it does not mean it didn't happen.

Vietnamese border raids in Thailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_border_raids_in_Thailand

lol! viets chasing pol pots soldiers into thailand did not take place in the 60's pal. and they werent attacking thailand.

thailiketoo:

I stand corrected regarding the border skirmishes, but you have to admit that your use of the word "invaded" overstated the extent of hostilities as well.

They were trying to blow my butt and my airplane up and my gas dump and my bomb storage area up. It was an invasion to me. The only reason I'm alive is the dogs. Three cheers for the guard dogs that foiled the invasion of Vietnamese sappers into Thalland. U-Tapao and U Dorn were not border skirmishes; they were attacks against American/Thai air bases inside of Thailand, thank you very much.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

You might as well ask how do the English view the French, or the French view of the English.

Most nations despise their neighbours. Seems to be human nature.

Even Canadians make jokes about Americans.

How do Americans view Canadians?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm told they generally worship the Japanese and Koreans, and the Singaporeans to a certain extent. Other than that, it probably comes down to the individual. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on most of em not liking their neighbors here in SE Asia.

Ok fair enough

How do Singaporeans view Thai??

OP aren't you Singaporean?

Singaporeans view thais well some of them have great respect for them in terms of culture, religion, martial arts like muay thai many singaporeans collect amulets and are into the buddhist religion they are buddhists*duh* but singapore doesn't provide a good religious experience compared to living in thailand which is similar to say an american who is a catholic could find a better religious experience living in france or italy compared to being in the US.

There are singaporeans who think of thais as good for nothing the guys are lazy, the girls are all prostitutes because many thai women do come to singapore to work in the sex trade and there are legal and illegal mind you an office girl could come to singapore work as an unofficial prostitute and earn a few months wages in a couple of days. It's actually nothing different from how some farang think of thai people and the country itself (the only difference is the people of singapore are asians themselves and i suppose this sort of stereotype of another asian group is solely reserved for farang)

How do Singaporeans view Thai??

OP aren't you Singaporean?

We never want to be same as Singapore.

No fun. Everything good, sure, but no sanok.

Yup singapore it's all work and no play. Many singaporeans retiring in thailand and their currency exchange rate and not to mention an average singaporeans makes more than an average thai even without the currecy exchange makes them live as well or better than farang.