Poll: Dudes, how much CASH do you typically carry in your wallet in Thailand?

Jingthing

Dudes, how much CASH do you typically carry in your wallet in Thailand?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the poll, choose the baht amount closest to the typical amount of baht you carry in your wallet when out and about in Thailand.

OBVIOUSLY, some days it is less and some days more.

Don't count a day you go the ATM to get out 20K as a typical day of carrying cash UNLESS you do that everyday!

Don't count a day you're traveling to the slums late at night and paranoid.

Don't count a day you're about to buy a sofa with cash.

Just state a rough idea of TYPICAL.

Inspired by this article:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2015-01-12/who-carries-around-wads-of-100s-a-pickpockets-guide#r=rss

Quick, how much cash is in your wallet? If you’re like the average American, barely enough for a couple of movie tickets: The median consumer carries just $22.

A handful of people roll bigger. Roughly one in five people carry more than $100. One in twenty carry a pickpocket’s dream—$100 bills—according to a new study by Claire Greene and Scott Schuh of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. They were trying to shed light on some of the biggest mysteries about U.S. currency: Where is it all? And why do certain people carry so much more than everyone else?

Personally I like to carry a fair amount cash ... typically about 2500 though of course that varies widely day to day.

Thanks for playing!

Edited by Jingthing

Off the airport and I'm only here a day, won't that skew the results? How about a median number? Or Mode?

Over a year.......ah......maybe 1,000 in the wallet and 1,000 in a pant pocket, for security. Sometimes I am on a budget and see if I can go the day on 1,000....and sometimes I don't trust the 19 locks on my door and take 100,000.

OK, OK...I select D.

hey...I'm Mr Big Bucks over here...in BKK usually got fees to pay at the embassy for documents and I always get a limo from the hotel to do my business...thb10000 usually when I'm out and about...

but, heh,heh, heh...tutsi is a shufflin' old man inna baseball cap and no one is aware...even the girls outside of the Nana hotel ignore me...

tutsi is out and about and sees a laptop that tickled his fancy and ponders: 'the nieces would like that one...'

he then slaps down the plastic and sez: 'gimme two and load up original Windows Professional on both...'

later, the nieces are bored: 'whaddawe need them for? a nice iphone woulda been better...'

tutsi sighs and then logs on to the thaivisa forum...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Anything more than 5k in your pocket, if you are going out, is dangerous, There is a possibility you could end up dancing on the table , drinking Pina Coladas throwing 1000bt notes at The Ladies

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 2

neverdie, on 14 Jan 2015 - 03:29, said:

I don't carry cash, that's what my staff are for.

Exactly I carry 99 baht for a breakfast and call Mrs.ATF to do her phone banking thing if I need to buy anything or send her to buy it in the first place.

• Like 2

It really annoys me because I then get touched for 2 baht change instead of 1.

?

That sounds pretty cheap, not sure what the going rate is in Boystown laugh.png

Just tell me what rate you were charged last week, it's probably the same rate ?

Three or four thousand typically....but I have way more than that today for some unfathomable reason.

Probably just like me you ATM 20k at a time to not having to pay those 180bt all the time.

I atm 20k at a time too, but I don't carry it around in my wallet. It gets locked up back in the apartment, and I take a little from that as needed.

• Like 1

A side issue here is whether people are paying everything or most things in CASH or are using credit/debit cards more. Personally, in Thailand it's all cash for me even very large amount purchases. When I was a tourist I would use cards for hotels though. It does feel very retro using cash so much considering the trend is actually the opposite.

• Like 1

A side issue here is whether people are paying everything or most things in CASH or are using credit/debit cards more. Personally, in Thailand it's all cash for me even very large amount purchases. When I was a tourist I would use cards for hotels though. It does feel very retro using cash so much considering the trend is actually the opposite.

I use cash for everything except hotels....even big restaurant bills.