Tourism campaign focuses on Thai provinces

webfact

TOURIST
Tourism campaign focuses on provinces

SUCHAT SRITAMA
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- More programmes and activities have been added to the national tourism campaign, "Discover Thainess", to stimulate travel to the provinces.

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said most of the new activities were for communities upcountry, such as textile tourism, which would promote local fabrics and textiles in the North and Northeast.

Many provinces could be developed as food destinations for tourists. Lighting up famous spots at night is another measure that is expected to draw more traffic.

One of the highlights is called "Hero Tourism". At least three heroes - W Vajiramedhi, Ho Chi Minh and Yamda - and their stories will be pitched at the niche markets of people who want to learn their bibliographies. Some famous movies regarding Thai history are also in the plans.

"The ministry this year will promote many local areas and their uniqueness to boost visitors into provinces and see Thai culture," she said.

On the same day, the Tourism Council of Thailand revealed that the Tourism Confidence Index last quarter was 98. The index has been rising since the second quarter of last year, though it is still slightly under the 100 baseline.

The forward confidence index for this quarter is 105, higher than the normal level. Most operators are satisfied with government's tourism-related policies such as the granting of an extra New Year holiday and allowing tax rebates for domestic tourism and waiving visa fees for Chinese tourists.

Most foreign tourists are happy with their time in Thailand. Transportation is the only thing they complain about.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Tourism-campaign-focuses-on-provinces-30251841.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-14

Three things are the highest priorities. Cheap booze, cheap women, and PARTY ! The foreigners can care less about the Thais or their culture that goes for both men and women. It shows in their attitudes towards the Thais. Fine examples are Khao San Road, the Full Moon Party, sex bars, Pai aka Hippie Dippy Hell where two Russians broke into a temple, Phuket where women walk topless on the beach, men are in the bars much of the day and that goes for most of the tourists areas. Like i said the majority of the expats and tourists can care less about Thai culture. Any that are into that head for Burma . Most of Thailand has been ruined by mass tourism.

• Like 2

Three things are the highest priorities. Cheap booze, cheap women, and PARTY ! The foreigners can care less about the Thais or their culture that goes for both men and women. It shows in their attitudes towards the Thais. Fine examples are Khao San Road, the Full Moon Party, sex bars, Pai aka Hippie Dippy Hell where two Russians broke into a temple, Phuket where women walk topless on the beach, men are in the bars much of the day and that goes for most of the tourists areas. Like i said the majority of the expats and tourists can care less about Thai culture. Any that are into that head for Burma . Most of Thailand has been ruined by mass tourism.

Maybe you should step out of your bubble or cocoon and try to embrace the real Thailand. You're partly right of course, but the majority of tourists do not frequent the sleaze you describe. They do visit temples, museums, take cooking courses, visit national parks and heritage sites.

• Like 1

"Hero Tourism", "textile tourism" cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I know it sounds odd but my ex back in England was into textiles and when travelling she would visit textile factories and even a textile museum in Guatemala. I, meantime, would indulge in my hobby of sampling beers of the world! But she was a teacher at the London College of Fashion, therefore had a specific interest. Not exactly for the mainstream.

And hero tourism? I am no historian but what does Ho Chi Minh have to do with Thailand? And I am afraid I have never heard of the other two and am not sufficiently interested to look them up on Wikipedia.

Stepped out of my so called bubble the first day i arrived here by avoiding the tourist traps. Have visited more of the remote areas of Southeast Asia likely more than anyone. But i disagree with you the majority are here to PARTY !

Maybe you should step out of your bubble or cocoon and try to embrace the real Thailand. You're partly right of course, but the majority of tourists do not frequent the sleaze you describe. They do visit temples, museums, take cooking courses, visit national parks and heritage sites.

I know it sounds odd but my ex back in England was into textiles and when travelling she would visit textile factories and even a textile museum in Guatemala. I, meantime, would indulge in my hobby of sampling beers of the world! But she was a teacher at the London College of Fashion, therefore had a specific interest. Not exactly for the mainstream.

And hero tourism? I am no historian but what does Ho Chi Minh have to do with Thailand? And I am afraid I have never heard of the other two and am not sufficiently interested to look them up on Wikipedia.

He lived here a bit - down the road from Udon Thani

Some famous movies regarding Thai history are also in the plans.

Are they going to make a movie about Thailand capitulated to the Japanese during WWII? And how, at the behest of their imperial conquerers, they declared war on Britain and the United States in January 1942?

• Like 1

Is today April 1st? I thought it was Jan14.

What are they talking about? Hero and Textile tourism? I am in the textile industry in Thailand but have never been to Korat.

Who wants to visit Thailands bleak provinces? Hero tourism. Where? Where are all the Thai heroes?

Thai man assaulting foreign women on beaches or 6 Thais bashing a drunk farang outside a bar.

Heroes? LOL

There is no such thing as Thainess...the word doesnt even make any sense.

Ho lived in Thailand in exile hiding from the Japanese. The home he lived in is a museum in Nakhon Phanom. Interesting area.

If Tourism was a proper business, this clown would have been sacked months ago.

"Textile tourism", "Hero tourism"? Really?

She is SO out of touch with what foreign tourists want, in fact she seems to be focussed on domestic tourists, which is part of the tourism dilemma, but a comparably small part.

If she just spent a month with her team visiting foreign tourist areas and seeing and asking what people want to see and do, she would be able to develop a reasonable plan, but she lives in her own little world of sycophants and blinkered Thai viewpoints.

Please lady. Thailand IS a fantastic tourism destination with something for most people. But you don't know what it is, and how to take advantage of it. And you have problems that need to be dealt with. Focus on fixing those first.

You said that http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774310-foreign-tourists-can-be-assured-of-safety-in-thailand-says-kobkarn/ but it's not. Fix the underlying problems that plague tourism and safety and people will come back and speak good about Thailand again.

What a dream job she has been given. It's not that hard to solve Thailand's tourism woes. It will take time and long term plan and money, but the base and fundamentals are there.

This lady is so far out of her depth it's ridiculous. Textile tourism? I weep for the future.

• Like 2