Foreign tourists can be assured of safety in Thailand, says Kobkarn

webfact

Foreign tourists can be assured of safety in Thailand, says Kobkarn
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION
LONDON

LONDON: -- INTERNATIONAL TOURISTS can be assured of their safety and security while staying in Thailand, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said at this week's "World Travel Mart" in London.

She also said the government was working hard to address some of the underlying challenges that had affected the industry over the years.

At the global travel show, which runs until today, she said the government was now giving top priority to security measures, especially for tourists, by implementing more surveillance cameras and lighting at tourist destinations across the country. More tourist police will also facilitate and ensure safety for tourists, while zoning laws will be improved to enhance sustainability at tourist destinations, the minister said on Monday.

In addition, major efforts are being made to ensure that all places have clean toilets and facilities for people with disabilities, who will make up a larger number of tourists in an increasingly ageing society. Kobkarn said illegal taxi operations at Phuket and Suvarnabhumi airports had been clamped down on, while there had also been a crackdown on illegal businesses at major destinations.

"Phuket has witnessed its popular beaches at Patong, Surin and Bang Tao being returned to their natural state after a clearing out of encroaching operators. Pattaya and Hua Hin have also cleared out illegal businesses along the beachside walks," she said. The ministry will continue to build up the country by facilitating travel in order to take advantage of the imminent opening of the Asean Economic Community, Kobkarn said.

"I'm honoured to take up this very critical position, as the government is placing the [tourism] sector as a primary source of foreign-exchange earnings and generating income in local communities," she told the trade mart.

Despite it being a challenging year, tourism is one of the most successful Thai sectors, with global arrivals exceeding 26.5 million in 2013, she added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Foreign-tourists-can-be-assured-of-safety-in-Thail-30247063.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-06

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have times heard people say,

Thailand will be fine without the tourist dollars and until now the government has not been too bothered with it.

Now it is slipping between their fingers and thai small and large have realized " oh shit we do need those foreigners"

Tourism is the backbone of this country and brings in trillions of baht every year.

I wonder if a fair investigation and arrests from the kt scandal might help to soften the uk travel warning.

The warning is not about military rule, but about unpunished attacks on foreigners. If i read that warning i would not come to Thailand.arresting the 2b does not help.

• Like 1

And just how are they planning to ensure tourist safety? Extra tourist police cant be everywhere at the same time. NOBODY can ensure everyones safety at all times unless they are issuing you a personal 24 hour armed guard upon your arrival here.

A lot of mumbo jumbo comes out of their mouths regarding tourism and tourist safety

some people like to hear the sound of their own voices and to show that they also, have some

to say...

And how's that going to be implemented prey tell... assigned a personal guard to every tourist

or lock up all the criminals and would be criminals to avoid crimes for happening?

• Like 1

Thailand will be fine without the tourist dollars and until now the government has not been too bothered with it.

Now it is slipping between their fingers and thai small and large have realized " oh shit we do need those foreigners"

Tourism is the backbone of this country and brings in trillions of baht every year.

I wonder if a fair investigation and arrests from the kt scandal might help to soften the uk travel warning.

The warning is not about military rule, but about unpunished attacks on foreigners. If i read that warning i would not come to Thailand.arresting the 2b does not help.

I always laugh when I read some jerk claiming Thailand can live without tourist revenue without a problem.

Strange coincidence that the annual 2.2 trillion baht in tourist revenue is exactly the same as the 2.2 trillion baht annual government budget.

So with no tourists, Thailand has to find 2.2 trillion baht from somewhere else.

It won't find it.

Thailand WILL go bust.

some people like to hear the sound of their own voices and to show that they also, have some

to say...

And how's that going to be implemented prey tell... assigned a personal guard to every tourist

or lock up all the criminals and would be criminals to avoid crimes for happening?

assigned a personal guard to every tourist

Then we can place bets on how many tourists are robbed, scammed, raped or murdered by their personal guards on the first day.

• Like 2

I always laugh when I read some jerk claiming Thailand can live without tourist revenue without a problem.

Strange coincidence that the annual 2.2 trillion baht in tourist revenue is exactly the same as the 2.2 trillion baht annual government budget.

So with no tourists, Thailand has to find 2.2 trillion baht from somewhere else.

It won't find it.

Thailand WILL go bust.

Of course!! GDP = Revenue = Government's budget....oh wait, no it doesn't :rolleyes:

• Like 1

This fairy tale that this woman is talking about .toilets that are clean where for instance most malls have good facilates so where is she talking about having them in the street , cctv will they be connected? more police yea right and of course the jet ski scams,and double pricing,give me a break please. Land of greed and nightmares

to say...

or lock up all the criminals and would be criminals to avoid crimes for happening?[/quot

assigned a personal guard to every tourist

Then we can place bets on how many tourists are robbed, scammed, raped or murdered by their personal guards on the first day.

Really is a case of who will protect us from the police?

maybe thailand needs less police.