Thai surrogate scandal: Japanese super-dad sues to recover his many, many babies

webfact

Japanese super-dad sues to recover his many, many babies
By Coconuts Bangkok

shigeta.back_.2.png

BANGKOK: -- The Japanese super-dad who fathered upward of 16 babies with surrogate mothers will file a lawsuit against family welfare officials to get his children back.

Shigeta Mitsutoki, the 24-year-old scion of a Japanese telecom billionaire, will take the Social Development and Human Security Ministry to court in a civil case for the return of his babies which have been under government care since many were discovered inside a Lat Phrao condominium this past August.

Minister Vichien Chaovalit defended his ministry’s actions and said it had the full legal authority to take custody of the surrogate children according to a Bangkok Post report.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/14/japanese-super-dad-sues-recover-his-many-many-babies

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-14

well then, lets see if he will come back to Thailand to claim them, if he knows he is right why in the hell did he do a runner and refuse to come back. Using money to try to beat the system is pretty ingrained here but he is an outsider, a personal show in court should be required before he can even submit his case.

well then, lets see if he will come back to Thailand to claim them, if he knows he is right why in the hell did he do a runner and refuse to come back. Using money to try to beat the system is pretty ingrained here but he is an outsider, a personal show in court should be required before he can even submit his case.

The words corruption and justice system come to mind !

What was the charge against him? Making more than the allowed number of babies?

• Like 1

The number may sound alarming, but not unusual in Asia. The baby's well being should be the main focus. Who can take care of the babies better? Who can provide love and support of the babies? If the babies have to live in orphan home and being neglected, why not give them to the dad?

16 kids to a 24 year old father sounds fairly unusual, even for Thailand ;)

• Like 1

The number may sound alarming, but not unusual in Asia. The baby's well being should be the main focus. Who can take care of the babies better? Who can provide love and support of the babies? If the babies have to live in orphan home and being neglected, why not give them to the dad?

16 kids to a 24 year old father sounds fairly unusual, even for Thailand wink.png

Are my dogs dogs because I name them as dogs, or do they love me more than themselves? It is only convention that persuades us to judge and name from our own points of view.

For all any of us know, maybe the guy adores children, and many of them, because financially he can give them better opportunities in life, and maybe his ex was a bitch, or he had a lonely friendless childhood? If I were the son of a billionaire, I'd sure be buying up opportunities for children in duress to succeed (although, he could have started at home, with buying refuges and child home-care centres in Japan, etc.).

However, it is very unfair to describe it as 'unusual' if he actually has the financial means - that is precisely why it would be assumed abnormal, because he has the assets to do what most could not. There are worse cases, especially pertaining to hundereds of nubile wives and a film involving Yul Brynner which cannot be mentioned here.

As stickyrice2000 said, it is the well-being of the children that is paramount, and if this guy can afford endlessly then what is the problem in wanting lots of happy kids around? Nobody complained about M. Jackson doing so!

• Like 2

From what I can see. The children were very well cared for. He had a private nanny for each child. They were well fed. No signs of abuse or anything untoward. He had the money to provide for them.

Now they are sat in cots down in an orphanage. By the time he does get them back I imagine their mental development will be well damaged. They should have left them with the nannies with state supervision billed to him until it was sorted out. Those poor babies.

Great post! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

16 kids to a 24 year old father sounds fairly unusual, even for Thailand wink.png

Go a bit back in history, and there was a Thai millionaire who had 32 wives, and 82 children. There was no criticism, no-one batted an eyelid.

Incidentally, one of his sons had 77 children of his own.

Both took good care of their partners and offspring.

If you are rich or powerful enough, and are responsible, why not?

Seconded. wai.gif

Are my dogs dogs because I name them as dogs, or do they love me more than themselves? It is only convention that persuades us to judge and name from our own points of view.

For all any of us know, maybe the guy adores children, and many of them, because financially he can give them better opportunities in life, and maybe his ex was a bitch, or he had a lonely friendless childhood? If I were the son of a billionaire, I'd sure be buying up opportunities for children in duress to succeed (although, he could have started at home, with buying refuges and child home-care centres in Japan, etc.).

However, it is very unfair to describe it as 'unusual' if he actually has the financial means - that is precisely why it would be assumed abnormal, because he has the assets to do what most could not. There are worse cases, especially pertaining to hundereds of nubile wives and a film involving Yul Brynner which cannot be mentioned here.

As stickyrice2000 said, it is the well-being of the children that is paramount, and if this guy can afford endlessly then what is the problem in wanting lots of happy kids around? Nobody complained about M. Jackson doing so!

Someone did as he had to stand trial.

Go a bit back in history, and there was a Thai millionaire who had 32 wives, and 82 children. There was no criticism, no-one batted an eyelid.

Seconded. wai.gif

OK because you state one case its "not unusual", it is very unusual hence the report.

I'm only stating its unusual to have 16 kids at 24 years of age, why is that unfair?. Its an observation, a pretty obvious one IMHO. Your rant is way off, I never stated my opinion.

• Like 1

The words corruption and justice system come to mind !

What was the charge against him? Making more than the allowed number of babies?

There were no charges made against him.

Seconded. wai.gif

OK because you state one case its "not unusual", it is very unusual hence the report.

It's also unusual to be the son of a billionaire. wink.png

• Like 1

I'm only stating its unusual to have 16 kids at 24 years of age, why is that unfair?. Its an observation, a pretty obvious one IMHO. Your rant is way off, I never stated my opinion.

You just did state your opinion; twice, in fact!

Thai surrogate mothers seek custody of babies

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- The surrogate mothers of nine babies fathered by a Japanese man and taken into care by Thai authorities last year have launched legal proceedings to regain custody of the infants, an official said Wednesday.

The alleged father, who was at the time was reported by Japanese media to be the son of an IT millionaire, left Thailand as a surrogacy scandal erupted in August following the discovery of nine babies in a Bangkok apartment.

Tests revealed he is the biological father of at least 15 babies born to surrogates in the kingdom, although his motives for fathering so many children remain unclear.

Thai social services have been caring for the nine infants for the last six months, although the mothers have been allowed regular visits.

Six of the mothers, who police said were each paid around $12,500 to be surrogates, have now launched civil proceedings to get their babies back.

"They are seeking custody of the children," Suvanna Pinkaew, an official from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, told AFP.

Their lawsuit, filed at a juvenile and family court, alleges that authorities are failing to care for the children adequately, she added, though she rejected the accusation.

"We never said the mothers cannot get the children back... but they need to pass through the ministry's process," Suvanna said.

That process includes proving they can care for the children and have a child-safe family background, the official added.

Thailand's shadowy commercial surrogacy industry was thrust into the limelight in August 2014 following accusations that an Australian couple abandoned a baby born with Down's syndrome, but took his healthy twin sister.

The couple denied deliberately leaving the boy, called Gammy, with the Thai surrogate mother, who was paid around $15,000 to carry the twins.

Paid surrogacy is officially banned by the Medical Council of Thailand and authorities moved to close several IVF clinics in the weeks after the scandal.

A new law to tighten loopholes is also under consideration by the kingdom's National Legislative Assembly.

It carries tough penalties that could see anyone found guilty of involvement in the trade jailed for 10 years.

Dozens, possibly hundreds, of foreign couples are thought to have been left in limbo after entering into surrogacy arrangements through clinics in the kingdom before the summer's scandals.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-01-14

"We never said the mothers cannot get the children back... but they need to pass through the ministry's process," Suvanna said.
That process includes proving they can care for the children and have a child-safe family background, the official added.

All of these mother simply sold their babies. And my guess is that 99,9% did that because they needed money! I know money is not everything in life but fact is they "SOLD!!" their babies...

Edited by SoFarAndNear

You just did state your opinion; twice, in fact!

Yawn, not about the case.

In fact I actually agree with you, there are far worse ways to grow up in this world.

Just couldn't understand the rant aimed at me smile.png

Nothing aimed at you at all. ;)

Just dealing with the words, na krap.

No hard feelings at all. thumbsup.gif

If these Thai reporters and journalists are actually any good, they would track down the babies that were brought to neighboring countries and see why the babies are there and who are caring for it. Perhaps the answer of why this Japanese guy father so many kids will be answered, was it for the money? which I doubt since his family is worth billions, most likely he wanted to help those other folks who can't have any kids, its not unknown that Japanese have weird fetishes, perhaps he just wants to have as many babies as possible due to his own little fantasy.

They did complain and they did get quite a lot of money out of him re Jackson

The clearly has the money to take of the kids... the court case will probably cost more than raising the same number in a regular Thai household... the well-being of the children should come first. In th best interests of the children, why not look into the guy's capabilities and assurances and act accordingly?

...so much for human rights.....

...baby production hub.....

...a secure family environment and upbringing are irrelevant....

...what does he plan on doing with them...spare parts....or are they clones.....

...I hope someone really investigates....

They are correct in there actions.Lets say an islamist does this to breed children as future suicide bombers.Or a pimp to sell as sex slaves.Anybody would understand 1 or 2..But 16..There are strong laws in the west,regarding surrogate mothers,Having to sign contracts.And who to recieve the child veted,

They are correct in there actions.Lets say an islamist does this to breed children as future suicide bombers.Or a pimp to sell as sex slaves.Anybody would understand 1 or 2..But 16..There are strong laws in the west,regarding surrogate mothers,Having to sign contracts.And who to recieve the child veted,

On what planet does anyone breed their children as suicide bombers, irrespective of faith, or to sell as sex slaves. Lets try to keep some perspective on this story.