Rejuvenation of the Wave :)

cornishcarlos

Sounds ok to me.

Regarding the re-build, is it new piston + rings and perhaps the cylinder also?

Then it should be able to go another +60.000 km.

Check the pads on the front disk brake and change brake fluid too, now you are at it.

• Like 1

It needs it... Engine feels "loose" plus it's using oil.

For 2k, I think she can use a little love smile.png

Yes not unusual that they need new piston rings at those km's.

It's not what you can call a re-build of the engine where you take the whole thing apart and change all wear items; bearings, seals and so on.

Is it wise to have an engine rebuild when there's seemingly nothing wrong with the engine?

60K - stop and go all the time - 2K baht ??

It's not the money I'm thinking of, it's more would I trust them to do it properly when it doesn't actually need doing. However if Cornishcarlos thinks otherwise then fair enough.

• Like 2

Is it wise to have an engine rebuild when there's seemingly nothing wrong with the engine?

60K - stop and go all the time - 2K baht ??

It's not the money I'm thinking of, it's more would I trust them to do it properly when it doesn't actually need doing. However if Cornishcarlos thinks otherwise then fair enough.

It cost me 20k, 6 years ago...

The guy doing it is a good mechanic.

With no work and just oil changes it would probably keep on cranking forever but I just feel like 2015 is a good year to tart her up :)

These days it gets used to go to the market and back, occasionally slightly further but can't hurt to spend a few bucks !

• Like 1

Have you changed front fork seals and chain & sprockets before?

It's great the amount of work you can get done for $100.

How about one of those mesh seat covers for 250baht?

Photo please.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

It needs it... Engine feels "loose" plus it's using oil.

For 2k, I think she can use a little love :)

Do you - or your mechanic have a dial indicator ? Would not hurt to check crankshaft.

Before removing engine from chassis probably easier - check both runout and end play. This will tell you if going into the bottom end is necessary or not.

Altho' after just 60K if oil changed regularly should be OK

I'm not Thai, so yes it's wise smile.png

If you can find a good mechanic I agree it's wise...if you can't you could be opening yourself up to a world of headaches.

You didnt tell us that there is something wrong ("using oil") in your first post. If you are sure about extensive oil use you should of course look into it. Good luck.

You didnt tell us that there is something wrong ("using oil") in your first post. If you are sure about extensive oil use you should of course look into it. Good luck.

If I told you everything in the 1st post it would be a boring thread :)

Thanks for the replies and advice.. We shall know by Monday if it was a wise choice or if I will be looking for a new runaround !

I would suggest this is a high-risk bet. The 2000 Baht is neither here nor there over the long term.

I would suggest some diagnostic work and basic checking before opening up the engine, never mind rebuilding it. It may be unnecessary.

I look forward to the results.

again, as the old idiom says: 'if it aint broken - especially in Thailand - dont fix it.'

i dont think so it will run faster after the rejuvenation of the engine.

But if i were you, i change spark plug, chain and sprockets, oil again, suspensions, brake pad and shoe, brake oil, tires and rims, handle grips and levers, WD40 necessary squeaking parts, change the fairings and plastics scratched and faded away due to sun, powder coat the chassis, wash it nicely and here we go! it is rejuvenated enough!

Edited by ll2

Using oil - sure sign rings and/or valve guides gone. If it isn't leaking it out, and I am sure he would have seen it.

Any other new parts installed that do not address these issues are purely cosmetic - then you have a pretty bike that is 'loose' and burns oil.

Fix before failure always cheaper than fix after.

• Like 2

again, as the old idiom says: 'if it aint broken - especially in Thailand - dont fix it.'

But if i were you, i change spark plug, chain and sprockets, oil again, suspensions, brake pad and shoe, brake oil, tires and rims, handle grips and levers, WD40 necessary squeaking parts, change the fairings and plastics scratched and faded away due to sun, powder coat the chassis, wash it nicely and here we go! it is rejuvenated enough!

I don't need it to go faster, it's a Wave :) But I would like the oil usage problem sorted and any work parts changed out.

Cosmetics aren't a concern for me...

I don't need it to go faster, it's a Wave :) But I would like the oil usage problem sorted and any work parts changed out.

Cosmetics aren't a concern for me...

Since when suspensions or brake pads are cosmetics?

How long does one liter of oil goes?

If using a lot of oil, than rebuild the engine. While touching it, you can put honda sonic piston and valves. Goes better and faster that way although it is a wave:)

• Like 1

All done for now... 2400 baht and she still runs well :)

New piston and rings plus new seals and gaskets. Seems to be smoother now, time will tell on oil consumption.

He took it upon himself not to bother changing rear sprocket and chain as he thought they were ok. I had him change them this morning when I went to pick it up. Not sure why they never just do what you ask them to :)

So, the Wave is good to go for another 60k +...

• Like 2

All right.

Curious, were the chain and sprockets original?

If so, wow!

I'd be surprised if they were original !

I bought the bike with 35k already on it, now got nearly 68k..

You never know but 68k for 1 set would be a push ?

I'm very happy with a 2400 baht bill and hopefully a few km more to be had from the little darling :)

Maybe your chain & sprockets were good and the Thai mechanic was trying to help out the crazy farang who was only riding to the 7 anyway.

Ain't broke,....

Many western mechanics recommend changing chain and both sprockets together, citing incompatible wear or something.

Last year I went to a Honda shop for a new chain for my 2008 CBR150.

They would sell me only the OMP, 3-piece set, 2600baht...O-rings.

My sprockets were good looking, but the chain was hosed from corrosion.

I tried to resuscitate it but couldn't.

I ended up having another shop fit a 450baht non-O-ring chain.

After +10Kkm still seems ok although it has stretched and been retightened a few times.

Sprocket still looks okay.

I apply oil frequently.