Doing Volunteer Program For 3 Months... How Do I Stay Longer?

Hello all! My name is Bo Collins and I'm 19 years old. I just recently became a member of this forum. Starting September 1, 2006 I will be working with an organization in Thailand called Greenway where i will be teaching english to school children and buddhist monks, and perhaps get to participate in working in the ricefields. My program lasts 3 months, afterwhich, i'm planning on exploring thailand on my own time, but ama bit unsure as to the legal issues regarding my visa extensions and such. Anyways, I currently have a 3 month visa for education purposes... I am hoping to stay in thailand for atleast a year without having to leave the country multiple times. what would someone recommend i do after this program is over, because I want to travel around thailand and study with buddhist monks for a couple of months and really immerse myself into the roots of the thai culture. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!! Peace and Love! :o

Visa runs are your only option mate!!! :o

Possibly not Brit. But likely you are correct. He could TRY to get a non-imm-ED Multi entry instead of his current 3 month, this could be helped along if his dates for arriving and finishing the volunteer program extended past thhe 90 day mark. Failing that he COULD ask the abbot at the temple he studied at to help with an extention. Probably won't happen but it IS possible. Likely wouldn't cover him for a year though.

I did my first 2 years in Thailand on legit non-ed visas

Edited by jdinasia

Possibly not Brit. But likely you are correct. He could TRY to get a non-imm-ED Multi entry instead of his current 3 month, this could be helped along if his dates for arriving and finishing the volunteer program extended past thhe 90 day mark. Failing that he COULD ask the abbot at the temple he studied at to help with an extention. Probably won't happen but it IS possible. Likely wouldn't cover him for a year though.

I did my first 2 years in Thailand on legit non-ed visas

thanks for the advice jd... so in your first 2 years, you say you were able to stay with your multiple entry education visa? and is it fairly easy to extend visas? sorry, i'm new at this, this will be my first extended stay in thailand... i eventually want to live there, anyways, thanks!

had to leave twice for new visas and I was enrolled in school the whole time.

however the 'ed' visa is also what they do for people studying Buddhism (legitimately) or ordaining as a monk.

Emphasis on the legitimate study.

This approach can be difficult as it has been abused in the past.

Astral