Starting a Business?

Hi All,

I've been living in Thailand for 2 years, I have a Non-O extension based on marriage, I'm thinking of opening a company or getting my wife to open a company and teaching English privately, as the demand seems to be quite high. I'm from the UK, I don't have a degree. Can anyone advise me on where I should start.

Also I don't know much at all about having a company here or the work permit situation.

Thanks in advance.

Mate, Thailand never has a friendly policy for foreign business operators even the mega businesses. Not worth the effort and investment hassle. Since you are teaching privately, why not just do it like a home private tuitions? Zero investment!

Hi NiceLee

You can set up a company with your wife and obtain a work permit on the basis of your marriage visa. Like the poster above says you do need 4 (2 in areas) Thai staff to support the foreign work permit. As regards the company you need 3 shareholders: you can hold 49% and you can then have 2 Thais holding the other 51% in whatever proportion you decide. You can also be the sole Director. I work as a Legal Advisor at a law company in Pattaya, having previously been a Solicitor in England for 15 years. If you want more information please feel free to pm me privately to discuss details.

Hi NiceLee

You can set up a company with your wife and obtain a work permit on the basis of your marriage visa. Like the poster above says you do need 4 (2 in areas) Thai staff to support the foreign work permit. As regards the company you need 3 shareholders: you can hold 49% and you can then have 2 Thais holding the other 51% in whatever proportion you decide. You can also be the sole Director. I work as a Legal Advisor at a law company in Pattaya, having previously been a Solicitor in England for 15 years. If you want more information please feel free to pm me privately to discuss details.

well you cant say things like this as I was banned for a few days for Spam.

I suggest the original poster sit down with pen and paper and do the math

How much will this cost

What is the return

can you pay the tax and social for all

your wage

wifes wage

accounting fees

work permit costs

visa fees

on going costs

can you run your business for 1 year without making any profit?

the list goes on and on

there are many hidden costs

and many unexpected visitors will come for their cut

beware

You could form a 51/49 partnership with your wife and get a work permit.

The partnership would need 1 million baht registered capital and have 2 Thai employees (4 at some work permit offices). You wife can be one of the employees.

This guide from the BOI has a lot of useful info about company formation and etc, attachicon.gifBusinessGuide 2014.pdf

Thanks Joe,

I have no problem doing it with my wife on 51/49, as we've been together for more than 10 years and have two beautiful children, there are no trust issues what so ever, but regarding the 1 million registered capital, does this mean you must deposit 1 million baht into a company account before you start?

Hi NiceLee

How much will this cost

What is the return

your wage

wifes wage

accounting fees

work permit costs

visa fees

on going costs

the list goes on and on

beware

I would like to know more about the costs

The partnership would need 1 million baht registered capital and have 2 Thai employees (4 at some work permit offices). You wife can be one of the employees.

This guide from the BOI has a lot of useful info about company formation and etc, attachicon.gifBusinessGuide 2014.pdf

Thanks Joe,

I have no problem doing it with my wife on 51/49, as we've been together for more than 10 years and have two beautiful children, there are no trust issues what so ever, but regarding the 1 million registered capital, does this mean you must deposit 1 million baht into a company account before you start?

The one million baht is the size of the partnership when you register it. You pay more to have a higher registered capital company..

It dose not have to be in the bank.

Hi NiceLee

How much will this cost

What is the return

your wage

wifes wage

accounting fees

work permit costs

visa fees

on going costs

the list goes on and on

beware

I would like to know more about the costs

Your cost would be less than what he is implying because you would not have to meet the requirements to get an extension of stay based upon working. You can get a work permit and work with an extension of stay based upon marriage.

The extension for working requires a lot of accounting, company documents, tax requirements and etc plus a minimum salary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks all for the replies,

Does anyone no about the work permit situation, I know if you want to teach english in a school, to get a work permit you need a degree. Being this would be a private company teaching private english lessons, would the work permit people expect to see some qualifications.

A WP does not require a degree, unless it is a requirement of th job itself. (You can't be a doctor if you didn't finish medical school).

The requirement for some teachers to have a degree comes from the teachers council, thus labour and immigration require it too. But for teaching at a language school etc as you seem to intend to do the regulations of the teachers council do no not apply, thus no need for a degree.

• Like 1

A WP does not require a degree, unless it is a requirement of th job itself. (You can't be a doctor if you didn't finish medical school).

The requirement for some teachers to have a degree comes from the teachers council, thus labour and immigration require it too. But for teaching at a language school etc as you seem to intend to do the regulations of the teachers council do no not apply, thus no need for a degree.

thanks Mario

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Joe,

The one million baht is the size of the partnership when you register it. You pay more to have a higher registered capital company..

It dose not have to be in the bank.

I've read on a couple of websites that, to support a work permit for a foreigner, you must open a company with 2 million baht registered capital, does anyone know if this is right.

Since you are married to a Thai only 1 million baht registered capital is required to get a work permit.

In the business guide you provided above, I read that "The payment of at least 25% of the total shares has been paid by the shareholders" do you know what this means?

Since you are married to a Thai only 1 million baht registered capital is required to get a work permit.

In the business guide you provided above, I read that "The payment of at least 25% of the total shares has been paid by the shareholders" do you know what this means?

In other words your need 250k cash minimum in the Bank for a THB 1.0 million capped company.

• Like 1