Thailand invites international travellers to 'Discover Thainess' with year-round activities

webfact

Thailand invites international travellers to 'Discover Thainess' with year-round activities

tn.jpg

Bangkok, 15 January 2015 (NNT) – Thailand’s Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha today presided over the grand opening of the “2015 Discover Thainess” global tourism marketing campaign, which was introduced in a spectacular parade in the center of Bangkok with vibrant colors and creating wonderful memories for visitors.

Prime Minister General Prayut said, “Thainess represents the unique character of Thailand, which embodies centuries-old cultural values and social practices. The upholding of the three main pillars - the nation, religion and the monarchy, the preservation of Thai traditions and culture; such as, Thai arts and ‘the wai’ or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people, form part of “Thainess” and make Thailand unique as a nation.”

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) launched the “2015 Discover Thainess” campaign, which incorporates the Thai government’s 12 national core values - among which are “the promotion and preservation of Thai traditions and culture” - the aim being to showcase the hospitable character of the Thai people and the many cultural assets of the country; assets that make it a unique tourist destination.

Prime Minister General Prayut added, “The Thai government thanks TAT, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and all stakeholders for helping to promote the country’s unique cultural treasures and the Thai way of happiness to be passed onto international visitors. At the same time, this campaign will help strengthen the pride of the Thai people, and encourage stronger participation in the preservation of our heritage and culture for coming generations.”

The “2015 Discover Thainess” parade was encapsulated in six spectacular processions, stretching some 3.5 kilometers through central Bangkok. Leading the parade was a 12-meter replica of the royal barge Supannahong, which represents the power and glory of the Thai monarchy. It was followed by floats relating stories from the Thai epic, the Ramakien.

A second procession elaborately showcased some of the kingdom’s many regional festivals; such as, the New Year Songkran festival and alms-giving traditions from the North while other presentations highlighted skilfull elements of Thai culture like silk making, Thai cuisine, Muay Thai boxing and other fun and traditional activities the kingdom offers. The evening culminated in a final procession called the “Smiles of Siam”, celebrating the irrepressible happiness and hospitality of the Thai people.

H.E. Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, Minister of Tourism and Sports said, “The procession marks the beginning of a year of activities inviting tourists to celebrate and share in elements of “Thainess” throughout Thailand, including the 12 rare gems, or provinces that are renowned for their unique history, culture and lifestyle, as well as the 22 best places to see beautiful flowers in the country. In addition, at least one large event will take place every month at various locations up and down the country to coincide with popular regional festivals.”

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-15 footer_n.gif

"... and ‘the wai’ or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people ..."

I had to think long and hard, the last time I was "wai'd" by any Thai was more than 12 months ago.

Some farang should go to that Thainess fair and vdo how Thai do not wait like you said. It has been 3 years since someone was to me

"Come to Thailand. Discover Thainess. Leave shocked."

For the most part, here in Chiang Rai, aside from a few sour looks, I've gotten lots of smiles from people of all ages. I have a Chihuahua that's in love with me. And a cute little girl, about 5 years old in yoga class was giving me the look, 555

Edited by SiSePuede419

"... and ‘the wai’ or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people ..."

I had to think long and hard, the last time I was "wai'd" by any Thai was more than 12 months ago.

Don't know where you live, but either you don't go out or you are a very bad man :-)

Get them everyday up here in Issan.

It could well be both the things you mention ... but actually (I'm in Bangkok), I think it's more a reflection on how much Thai people change when they live and work in Bangkok. There's a very big difference in how foreigners are treated in the "tourist" areas and the more rural areas. This has been most noticeable in the past 5 years, prior to that it was very different.

I agrre with the points you make in relation to the changes in relation to this over the last 5 years.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments in relation to Bangkok, but that is the type of attitude you get in most Metro area, London, Paris, New York etc

Posters here never waste an opportunity to go Thai bashing. My own daily experience is nothing but respect and warm hearts from the locals. Ive said it before but for those who live here and dont like it then go back from where you came from. End of. No ifs or buts just go home.

Been here long? Ever go outside?

• Like 1

Posters here never waste an opportunity to go Thai bashing. My own daily experience is nothing but respect and warm hearts from the locals. Ive said it before but for those who live here and dont like it then go back from where you came from. End of. No ifs or buts just go home.

Been here long? Ever go outside?

8 years. Everyday.

You gotta love the pic with the heading "republic" and the main sign on the float in Thai only.

The whole thing is clearly aimed at the domestic audience. It probably looked very colourful and impressive on TV to audiences in Si Saket and Buriram.

Unfortunately it does nothing whatsoever to promote foreign tourism and is a complete waste of taxpayers' money. Arriving tourists would just wonder it took them 3 hours to get their hotels.

• Like 2

Wasn't it Thainess that caused tourism number to drop off. Still can't get travel insurance whilst martial law is in force and doesn't this dimwit leader realise that?

How many times am I going to repeat myself?

YOU CAN GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!

Thainess for foreigners. Errrrrm, start with the Thais first, then filter it down to the tourists.

welcome to Thailand, and our unique Thai ness. First lesson. Dont trust ANYONE. !!!

We hate you all really, but we LOVE your money. and we WILL get our hands on it, one way or another.

And remember a crocodile smiles, just before it eats you.

• Like 2

Tourists should study the soaps on Thai tv, that really shows Thainess. pulling the hair of your maid, slapping your girlfriend, kicking and shouting, dancing barefoot in some godforsaken jungle village hopping over bamboo sticks that someone moves around on the ground, that is Thai ancient culture.

• Like 1