The perfect reason for NOT learning Thai.

beenitseenitdoneit

I would say that being fluent in Thai has enhanced my life here enormously and anyone who counsels that learning the language isn't worth the time and effort are only trying to rationalize away their failure to make the investment.

Well said, especially about people "rationalizing"....

• Like 1

Did anyone bother to read the above, I got as far as the boasting about how many languages and gave up, like learning a very minor language such as Thai, life's too short!

Thai is a major language in Thailand the last time I checked.

• Like 1

Oh no oh wise one I am sure you have lived here 40 years and are fluent in both speaking, reading and writing. You have convinced me, I am going to learn and just cannot wait to talk about som tam, lakorn and the lesbians in the house opposite. Off to watch Downton Abbey on now channel, thank god the Thai language they murder it in can be switched to English. laugh.png

I am speak, read and write Thai fluently, and have studied Thai for close to 21 years. I have also studied French, Spanish and Japanese.

My very first study of the Thai language was actually in 1986 (28 years ago), prior to my first trip to Thailand. This consisted of 10 two hour lessons with a university student as well as listening to a scratchy Parlaphone Thai language LP borrowed from the local library.

I did not begin my intensive study of Thai until Nov, 1994. Between 1994 and 2003 (when I moved to Thailand), I studied with Thai foreign exchange students, Thai restaurant owners and at a Thai temple. During this period my primary hobby was studying Thai. Aside from weekend study with teachers, I regularly came into the office early or stayed late into the evening studying Thai. My study activity consisted of translating and composing correspondence, reading aloud, translating newspaper articles and light fiction books, watching Thai language movies and TV shows, and vocabulary building work. The pinacle of my achievement during this period was completing a very readable translation of Suwanii Sukanatha's novel "Tonight There Is No Moon. Rarely did I spend less than 20-25 per week studying Thai. I kept detailed logs of my study activity from 1996 to 2003 and would conservatively estimate that I spent at a minimum 13000 hours studying Thai prior to moving to Thailand.

In 1998 I visited Benjawan Poomsan Becker at her home and asked her to evaluate my progress in the Thai language. She told me at that time (17 years ago) that she knew "very few people who had reached my level of competency in Thai." In 2000 I decided that I would move to Thailand in 2004. Knowing that I would be moving to Thailand, I was very motivated to study the language, and from 2000 to July, 2003 (I moved here 6 months earlier than originally planned), if anything, my study of Thai was even more intensive than in prior years.

Since moving to Thailand in 2003, I have lived here full time continuously. I live in a small rural village where very little English is spoken, and my wife does not speak any English at all. My study of the language consists mainly of conversation, watching Thai language TV, but I also regularly translate newspaper articles and practice building and maintaining my vocabulary. Since moving here, I have had a house built, have testified in court, and teach, all of which involved my Thai language skills. I am sure there are many foreigners in Thailand who have a higher degree of proficiency in Thai than I do, but knowing that the investment I have made in learning the language is considerable and not commonplace, I am confident that my language skills are way above average.

I would say that being fluent in Thai has enhanced my life here enormously and anyone who counsels that learning the language isn't worth the time and effort are only trying to rationalize away their failure to make the investment.

Regarding your challenge that I translate, "Exit stage left, big mouth" in order to prove my language skills to you, well here goes.

"Exit stage left" as used here is an idiom for "get off the stage," and would not be translated word for word.

Thai language translation: ลงเวธีเดี๋ยวนี้ดีกว่า ไอ้ปากไม่มีหูรูด

Transliteration: long wethi diaw nii dii gwaa, ai paak mai mii huu ruud

Literal translation: Better come down off the stage, blabbermouth. (literally: person whose mouth doesn't have a sphincter muscle)

I commend you in what you have been able to achieve.

However it is a great pity that I cannot gauge your expertise, on a local restaurant test.

Throughout my years of living here, those that have claimed to speak Thai fluently, and have given me a hard time because I haven't, have only lasted as far as the restaurant test.

Their task was simple, to be able to order their meal from the waitress, and do know what without exception all failed.

That's right they weren't even able to order their food without a mistake being made.

So then of course the tables turned, and I asked them they had learnt Thai for what (not correct English I know, but for some reason Thais are always ending their English sentences with for what).

What a complete waste of time when one can't even order their meal in Thai.

Edited by up2you2

I speak thai, but it depends where you live. I use it less and less. Speak English at home with my family and with friends. Read English newspapers and Watch English cable.However it's useful upto the conversational level. All my thai neighbours speak good to very good English Generally it is a good thing if you speak and read the language of the country you live in, but don't over rate it for guys who come here in their 60's to retire and live predominately in European ( non thai) communities.But anyone must be foolish to state it's not advantageous. There really in no reason for not learning " some" thai.

The issue of clarity was never the point. There's a funny dimension to these kinds of statements. If that doesn't jump out at you, just skip it. But it's not really about whether people who talk like this are understood or not. Getting the job done is not the only thing available to reflect on. I've heard people speaking in this style, and in context, at that time, it sounded hilarious. But only if you have a certain (probably dry) sense of humour. Fair enough?

its you that doesnt get it. likeei say, thais do this all the time as a matter of course and they dont do it to show off, it just happens. and it sounds quite normal. fair enough?

Oh no oh wise one I am sure you have lived here 40 years and are fluent in both speaking, reading and writing. You have convinced me, I am going to learn and just cannot wait to talk about som tam, lakorn and the lesbians in the house opposite. Off to watch Downton Abbey on now channel, thank god the Thai language they murder it in can be switched to English. laugh.png

I am speak, read and write Thai fluently, and have studied Thai for close to 21 years. I have also studied French, Spanish and Japanese.

My very first study of the Thai language was actually in 1986 (28 years ago), prior to my first trip to Thailand. This consisted of 10 two hour lessons with a university student as well as listening to a scratchy Parlaphone Thai language LP borrowed from the local library.

I did not begin my intensive study of Thai until Nov, 1994. Between 1994 and 2003 (when I moved to Thailand), I studied with Thai foreign exchange students, Thai restaurant owners and at a Thai temple. During this period my primary hobby was studying Thai. Aside from weekend study with teachers, I regularly came into the office early or stayed late into the evening studying Thai. My study activity consisted of translating and composing correspondence, reading aloud, translating newspaper articles and light fiction books, watching Thai language movies and TV shows, and vocabulary building work. The pinacle of my achievement during this period was completing a very readable translation of Suwanii Sukanatha's novel "Tonight There Is No Moon. Rarely did I spend less than 20-25 per week studying Thai. I kept detailed logs of my study activity from 1996 to 2003 and would conservatively estimate that I spent at a minimum 13000 hours studying Thai prior to moving to Thailand.

In 1998 I visited Benjawan Poomsan Becker at her home and asked her to evaluate my progress in the Thai language. She told me at that time (17 years ago) that she knew "very few people who had reached my level of competency in Thai." In 2000 I decided that I would move to Thailand in 2004. Knowing that I would be moving to Thailand, I was very motivated to study the language, and from 2000 to July, 2003 (I moved here 6 months earlier than originally planned), if anything, my study of Thai was even more intensive than in prior years.

Since moving to Thailand in 2003, I have lived here full time continuously. I live in a small rural village where very little English is spoken, and my wife does not speak any English at all. My study of the language consists mainly of conversation, watching Thai language TV, but I also regularly translate newspaper articles and practice building and maintaining my vocabulary. Since moving here, I have had a house built, have testified in court, and teach, all of which involved my Thai language skills. I am sure there are many foreigners in Thailand who have a higher degree of proficiency in Thai than I do, but knowing that the investment I have made in learning the language is considerable and not commonplace, I am confident that my language skills are way above average.

Regarding your challenge that I translate, "Exit stage left, big mouth" in order to prove my language skills to you, well here goes.

"Exit stage left" as used here is an idiom for "get off the stage," and would not be translated word for word.

Literal translation: Better come down off the stage, blabbermouth. (literally: person whose mouth doesn't have a sphincter muscle)

13000 hours spend on learning thai so now you are able to have wonderful long meaningful conversations with the rest of the villagers in Nakhon nowhere. It must also be a wonderful experience to be able to understand the thai soap operas that most of the people in your village watch. boing boing, honk honk etc etc.

I don't even go into the reason why you have not helped your wife to speak at least a bit of english....

• Like 1

13000 hours spend on learning thai so now you are able to have wonderful long meaningful conversations with the rest of the villagers in Nakhon nowhere. It must also be a wonderful experience to be able to understand the thai soap operas that most of the people in your village watch. boing boing, honk honk etc etc.

I don't even go into the reason why you have not helped your wife to speak at least a bit of english....

wow! incredibly snobbish

Edited by AYJAYDEE

I like it when they tell us how they speak Thai perfectly, but the Thai people just can't seem to understand them for some reason.

I'll be the first to agree that some foreigners pronounce Thai poorly.

But I do want to say that it is also true that some Thais have a mental block about comprehending non-native speakers. Sometimes when you observe a Thai saying that they can't understand a non-native speaker it has absolutely nothing to do with the non-native speakers ability to speak Thai, and everything to do with the Thai listener having a mental block. I can't tell you how many times I have had to coax Thais into considering that they might be able to understand me, and then moments later, or in other cases after a few encounters they are suddenly marvelling at how well I speak Thai. Also, some Thais are so intent on practicing their English or wishing to show off their English skills to their co-workers or friends and family, that they will deliberately feign an inability to understand you in order to force the conversation be conducted in English.

On countless occasions I have found myself talking away to one person like we've known each other all our lives only to walk around a corner and encounter someone who claims to be unable to understand a word you say. For example, I have noticed this with my students as well as with my daughter's classmates. One student can tell you their life story, what they want to be when they grown up, what their favorite subject in school is, how their mother prepared their lunch food, what their parents do for a living, where they live, etc., etc., and then there are other kids who very stubbornly insist that they need another student to translate what I am saying. I've generally concluded that the lower the education/intelligence level and/or the less they have ever been exposed to non-native Thai speakers, the more likely this is to be the case.

Also, don't assume every Asian person in Thailand can speak Thai. I have had experiences where someone who I assumed was Thai couldn't understand me at all, only to find out later that they were Cambodian, Laotian, Burmese or Chinese.

Finally, some Thais speaking abilities are impaired because of dental problems, alcholism, dementia or just plain poor enunciation. Others speak in an almost unintelligible rustic or regional dialect that anyone outside of immediate family and friends have difficulty understanding. Some Thais are also hard-of-hearing.

I studied standard Bangkok Thai. If someone veers very far away from this into a regional dialect, I'm going to have problems understanding them, and they can have trouble understanding me as well.

All I'm saying is that these type of communication problems are not always a poor reflection on the non-native speaker's Thai speaking ability.

• Like 1

This entire thread should be moved to the psychology forum (or mental health forum) because it is a fascinating case study in man's ability to rationalize away their own shortcomings. If a person doesn't want to take the time to learn the language of their adopted country, that's their problem, not mine. But, as is well evidenced on this thread, (and in the above comments) when people attack Thais and anyone who has bothered to learn the language in a futile effort to justify to themselves and others that it wasn't worth the bother (Thais have nothing of interest to say, Thais insult you constantly, it's a minor language, it's too difficult, it's a waste of time, blah, blah, blah) then I say professional counseling needs to be called in.

The fact is that once you reach a reasonable degree of fluency (far less than 13,000 hours) you can begin to initiate topics of discussion if you find what others are talking about is not to your liking. I have discussed numerous TVF topics and other topics with my family and neighbors. For example, I have discussed:

deflation, the global economic crisis, interest rates, monetary stimulus, the Japanese bubble economy, teen pregnancy, drug addiction, alcoholism, farming, gardening, Thai language, impressions of other foreigners, Thai attitudes towards other SE Asian nations, prostitution, the cost of living, average household income, educational quality, teacher accountability, Thai traditional cooking, blood pressure, exercise, dog care, money management, importance of having goals, pre-natal nutrition, autism, pig raising, incarceration for drug offenses, land law, current events, crime, the military coup, the environment, earthquakes, tsunamis, ergonomics, safety, etc.,etc.

To the extent that these topics qualify as interesting, I have intellectually stimulating conversations with my family and my neighbors.

Those who claim that they can't have an intellectually stimulating conversation with Thais are saying far more about their own inability to speak Thai or engage a Thai in an interesting topic of conversation than they are about Thais themselves.

As far as my wife not learning English, there was no need for this as we always planned on living in Thailand, and English is rarely spoken locally. My step-daughter, of course, is studying English in school and is proficient in the language. Not that my family is any of your business, or I'm under any obligation to explain myself to to you, or anything, right?

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

This entire thread should be moved to the psychology forum (or mental health forum) because it is a fascinating case study in man's ability to rationalize away their own shortcomings. If a person doesn't want to take the time to learn the language of their adopted country, that's their problem, not mine. But, as is well evidenced on this thread, (and in the above comments) when people attack Thais and anyone who has bothered to learn the language in a futile effort to justify to themselves and others that it wasn't worth the bother (Thais have nothing of interest to say, Thais insult you constantly, it's a minor language, it's too difficult, it's a waste of time, blah, blah, blah) then I say professional counseling needs to be called in.

The fact is that once you reach a reasonable degree of fluency (far less than 13,000 hours) you can begin to initiate topics of discussion if you find what others are talking about is not to your liking. I have discussed numerous TVF topics and other topics with my family and neighbors. For example, I have discussed deflation, the global economic crisis, interest rates, monetary stimulus, the Japanese bubble economy, teen pregnancy, drug addiction, alcoholism, farming, gardening, Thai language, impressions of other foreigners, Thai attitudes towards other SE Asian nations, prostitution, the cost of living, average household income, educational quality, teacher accountability, Thai traditional cooking, blood pressure, exercise, dog care, money management, importance of having goals, pre-natal nutrition, autism, pig raising, incarceration for drug offenses, land law, current events, crime, the military coup, the environment, earthquakes, tsunamis, ergonomics, safety, etc.,etc. with my family and neighbors. so to the extent that the topics on these forums pass for intellectually stimulating topics, I have intellectually stimulating conversations with my family and my neighbors.

Those who claim that they can't have an intellectually stimulating conversation with Thais are saying far more about their own limits to speak Thai or engage a Thai in an interesting topic of conversation than they are about Thais.

As far as my wife not learning English, there was no need for this as we always planned on living in Thailand, and English is rarely spoken locally. My step-daughter of course is studying English in school and is proficient in the language. Not that I answer to you, or my family is any of your business, right?

Forget thai. These folks wouldnt even be able to hold a mentally stimulating conversation in their native language.

• Like 1

Hang on,

I'm German (from the North West), I guess most Germans can understand me, but I have troubles sometimes to understand folks from South Germany unless I listen very hard.

Same same in Thailand, like Issan folks have their dialects, too. Some speak Khmer or Lao with their grandparents, English with their boyfriends or husbands, and Thai in public. Not everyone comes from Bangkok.

And then, of course, it depends where you work. If at 7/11 or Family Mart, or in a café or bar, and if you have Farang customers all day long, you might speak more English than Thai sometimes, and maybe speak Issanish when joking with natives. Teachers should be able though to do courses in decent Thai (or decent English), imho.

You probably don't need eyes to watch a movie, just use your imagination.

You might not need to think at your job, just show up

You possibly might not need to exercise

There is a chance you don't need to read books on anything

But what it does do, like learning Thai, is potentially enhances your experience in the country. I find it quite interesting to learn, and I wouldn't tell anyone to go to America without any English lessons..

Yes, after studying, you might find out you hate the place.....quicker. Well, good.....see it helped you move on with life that much faster.

Now I wouldn't retire in Thailand.....but that is for another thread.

Another important point is that the effort of learning a new language, especially when one is older, is that it strengthens the brain, makes new connections and helps ward off Alzheimer's!

Then there is all the fun stuff of making errors, some of them on purpose LOL

When back in another country, you and your missus can say stuff in front of others and they won't have a clue what you said!

Great fun all round-rude, but fun!

My ex UK gf learned Spanish and was much better than me but she hardly spoke.

Give yourself permission to make mistakes and just go for it!

Everyone got bored waiting for her to mull over what she wanted to say until she could say it perfectly but by then, someone else had "spoken and stolen her thunder".

• Like 1

The issue of clarity was never the point. There's a funny dimension to these kinds of statements. If that doesn't jump out at you, just skip it. But it's not really about whether people who talk like this are understood or not. Getting the job done is not the only thing available to reflect on. I've heard people speaking in this style, and in context, at that time, it sounded hilarious. But only if you have a certain (probably dry) sense of humour. Fair enough?

its you that doesnt get it. likeei say, thais do this all the time as a matter of course and they dont do it to show off, it just happens. and it sounds quite normal. fair enough?

Lol, what exactly don't I "get"? That you intend to ignore anything you don't like hearing, and that you know how to regurgitate? "Like I say..." Don't you think we read what you said the first time? Amazingly, you failed to notice that I never disputed the fact that plenty of Thai people also use Thai and English words in combination. We already know about it! The Thais I know certainly do it. The point—that you are committed to ignoring—is: So what? It doesn't have any bearing on the original comment that you attempted to neutralize, because the context is completely different.

Not trying to speak for the person who made the original comment, but I can describe how I interpret it. It's not about bare-bones grammatical constructs; it's about the wider picture, and Thai people mixing Thai with English is not necessarily the same thing as the guy off to the talad to buy sapparot. Show off? Who said anything about showing off, or sounding abnormal? Only you. The contexts are vastly different, and the one that was mentioned is quite funny. It's really got nothing to do with Thais doing something that you might categorise as similar. You're vigorously defending something that no one attacked, and when that's pointed out, you helpfully re-iterate. Which I expect you will do again, presently.

Lol, what exactly don't I "get"? That you intend to ignore anything you don't like hearing, and that you know how to regurgitate? "Like I say..." Don't you think we read what you said the first time? Amazingly, you failed to notice that I never disputed the fact that plenty of Thai people also use Thai and English words in combination. We already know about it! The Thais I know certainly do it. The point—that you are committed to ignoring—is: So what? It doesn't have any bearing on the original comment that you attempted to neutralize, because the context is completely different.

Not trying to speak for the person who made the original comment, but I can describe how I interpret it. It's not about bare-bones grammatical constructs; it's about the wider picture, and Thai people mixing Thai with English is not necessarily the same thing as the guy off to the talad to buy sapparot. Show off? Who said anything about showing off, or sounding abnormal? Only you. The contexts are vastly different, and the one that was mentioned is quite funny. It's really got nothing to do with Thais doing something that you might categorise as similar. You're vigorously defending something that no one attacked, and when that's pointed out, you helpfully re-iterate. Which I expect you will do again, presently.

I can also speak Tinglish, even Spanglish as well. Oh and a little Chinglish, if pushed, (+ a few beers) I could also manage a mix of German/English. It gets the job done!

However, we normally speak English and we only slip into Tinglish if there is something really important to discuss and it is vital that there is no misunderstanding. Thank God for my Word in the hand Thai/English Speaking dictionary!

• Like 1

you obviosly didnt read the his post. and it is similar whether you see it or not

Also, don't assume every Asian person in Thailand can speak Thai. I have had experiences where someone who I assumed was Thai couldn't understand me at all, only to find out later that they were Cambodian, Laotian, Burmese or Chinese.

Been coming here since the 80's and still can't tell the difference between a Thai, Burmese and Chinese? I find that surprising as all you have to do is use your eyes. You are right about some not being able to tell a word you said after others having no problem, but They are Thais and is another reason why learning is a waste of time. Two examples ordering a beer in a Pizza restaurant- waiter thought I had said coke, giving directions to taxi driver- soi 6, he tries turning into soi 2, then soi 4 after I tell him soi 6 twice more. We only got to soi 6 by a process of elimination! After 20 years of 'learning' with these kind of results it's really not worth the bother.

The fact is that once you reach a reasonable degree of fluency (far less than 13,000 hours) you can begin to initiate topics of discussion if you find what others are talking about is not to your liking. I have discussed numerous TVF topics and other topics with my family and neighbors. For example, I have discussed:

deflation, the global economic crisis, interest rates, monetary stimulus, the Japanese bubble economy, teen pregnancy, drug addiction, alcoholism, farming, gardening, Thai language, impressions of other foreigners, Thai attitudes towards other SE Asian nations, prostitution, the cost of living, average household income, educational quality, teacher accountability, Thai traditional cooking, blood pressure, exercise, dog care, money management, importance of having goals, pre-natal nutrition, autism, pig raising, incarceration for drug offenses, land law, current events, crime, the military coup, the environment, earthquakes, tsunamis, ergonomics, safety, etc.,etc.

To the extent that these topics qualify as interesting, I have intellectually stimulating conversations with my family and my neighbors.

Those who claim that they can't have an intellectually stimulating conversation with Thais are saying far more about their own inability to speak Thai or engage a Thai in an interesting topic of conversation than they are about Thais themselves.

As far as my wife not learning English, there was no need for this as we always planned on living in Thailand, and English is rarely spoken locally. My step-daughter, of course, is studying English in school and is proficient in the language. Not that my family is any of your business, or I'm under any obligation to explain myself to to you, or anything, right?

If you want to keep your family out of the discussion then don't mention them.

I think we all get a pretty good idea what kind of life you lead and why it is essential for you to be able to speak thai well....

• Like 1

Been coming here since the 80's and still can't tell the difference between a Thai, Burmese and Chinese? I find that surprising as all you have to do is use your eyes. You are right about some not being able to tell a word you said after others having no problem, but They are Thais and is another reason why learning is a waste of time. Two examples ordering a beer in a Pizza restaurant- waiter thought I had said coke, giving directions to taxi driver- soi 6, he tries turning into soi 2, then soi 4 after I tell him soi 6 twice more. We only got to soi 6 by a process of elimination! After 20 years of 'learning' with these kind of results it's really not worth the bother.

wow! if thats how poorly you speak after 20 years of trying, I AGREE with you. fortunately most folks do much better than that!!

• Like 1

i driver- soi 6, he tries turning into soi 2, then soi 4 after I tell him soi 6 twice more. We only got to soi 6 by a process of elimination! After 20 years of 'learning' with these kind of results it's really not worth the bother.

wow! if thats how poorly you speak after 20 years of trying, I AGREE with you. fortunately most folks do much better than that!!

On the other hand the mrs says I speak chat mark and other Thais sometimes say the same, I reckon some of them just pretend not to understand.

i driver- soi 6, he tries turning into soi 2, then soi 4 after I tell him soi 6 twice more. We only got to soi 6 by a process of elimination! After 20 years of 'learning' with these kind of results it's really not worth the bother.

On the other hand the mrs says I speak chat mark and other Thais sometimes say the same, I reckon some of them just pretend not to understand.

then it was worth the bother

you obviosly didnt read the his post. and it is similar whether you see it or not

First I didn't get it; now it's obvious I didn't read it. Soon you'll tell me I couldn't possibly be sitting at my computer.