First trip to phuket any advice? (Actual advice!)

nailclippers

Thanks for a big post mate!

Well I'll think it will be fine tho, I wont go out everynight either. Some nights might be big and some low, i do luckily have backups in case something would go wrong.

»…i do luckily have backups in case something would go wrong.«
Don’t fall in love, that’s often likely to “go wrong” – you may need more than heavy back up in that case...whistling.gif
You can have some “cheap” entertainment some of the days by reading, and may I kindly recommend two books: thumbsup.gif
“Love Entrepaneurs” by Phil Nicks,
and if your are more to a good novel,
“Private Dancer” by Stephen Leather.
Don’t buy in airport (overpriced), buy either from Amazone or pick them up in a Bookazino store on Phuket.
–And have lots of fun… tongue.png
  • Like 1

LOL!

LOL

I'm not really too much cocerned about that to be fair.

Worse case scenario would be i fall in love with her already broke and go home. She asks for money and i send her my math book and some rice and bread.

She punch me in the face over the internet and tell me im a bad provider, bad man and cheap!!!! And tell me her grandma's buffalo died.

But i wont fall in love with them =)

Edited by nailclippers
  • Like 1

You will be more than ok with your funds. And trust be you will learn to do everything gradually in few days time. So my advice is don't rush into anything too fast.

Awesome! I will most likely start off slow anyways considering it's a 24hour flight and im going ham with valium during the flight and probably will need to rest first night anyway. Gonna start with some bars that aren't too loud and hopefully find a quiet place to have some beers. Then check out the places for the first few nights before i pick up the lady of death.

To the ones who said there were much better places in thailand? Which city/islands are you talking about?

Many on the forum are Phuket haters. Explore all the beaches on the island. You're not going to find anywhere near the nightlife in the other locals that you find in Patong.

Plenty of freelancers at the discos that will save you bar fines. Never carry a lot of money or leave your iPad out in the room. Thefts do happen.

I drink Sangsom and coke. 1/2 the price of JD. I'd try and get into a routine of exercise during the day, a nap and then hitting the bars at night.

I'd say stick with Patong. One month should be about right. I wish I was 25 again.

Oh yea, don't fall in love.

this is all good advice, the Sangsom whiskey is actually a rum (won some medals in years past) , after a few days you will probably find a Bar or 2 that you keep going back to, buying your drinks by the bottle will make your baht go further typically 1000 or less for a bottle including mixers, if you are a smoker buy your smokes from a wholesaler by the carton, for good cheap food head away from the beach (inland) you will find many resturants that are far cheaper then the ones near the beach or Bangla Rd, learn a few Thai phrases in your first days their, particularly how to say "I don't want" which kind of sounds like "my owl cup" but get a local to teach you so you get the tones right. There are a lot of bars that don't have bar fines and typically the girls wont go home with you, and they tend to be "safer" if you are just drinking, the staff will be friendly and warn you when things not quite as they should be.

the don't fall in love advice is good advice, that does not mean you cant find a girl that suits your tastes and spend time with her, the "GFE" (girlfriend experience) can be a nice way to spend a holiday, and can work out to reasonable value as she can act as a tour guide for you as well but do remember it is not love and don't be paying for her sick buffalo.

If you go shopping take a backpack to put what you buy in, until you are familiar with bartering you may be paying more then you should and some of the sellers use colour coded bags to let others know you are.

never be aggressive, cant stress that enough, even with other foreigners, somehow a Thai always gets pushed or hit and that just never ends well for you.

There will be a lot of foreigners selling time share, either hanging around on street corners or chasing you down on motorbikes, their normal opening line is "do you speak English" don't stop for them as you are saying no, if they are really persistent asking about how they got their work permit normally makes them go away(they don't have one).

don't drink tap water, or brush your teeth with it, and either make sure the ice in your drinks is not coming out of the beer box (ice used to chill the beer is not filtered water) or order with no ice.

beware of the food coming from Mcdonalds and KFC, only times I have been sick was after eating from there.

I know you said you had accommodation already booked but I suggest taking a walk up Soi Sansabai (extension of Bangla Rd) there are a few hotels up there that are very good value (600-800 Baht a night)

smile lots , be happy , enjoy yourself

• Like 1

5,000 Bht is more than enough.

Keep away from the beautiful girls on Bangla Rd, my mate got a dose of the clap from one young spunk,

Have many bars around O Top which is across from Hard Rock and drinks and girls are cheaper.

One can get a massage girl to stay with you for the night for 2000 Bht so go out drinking and pick her up about midnight when she knocks off.

Be sure to go over to Phi Phi island for a couple of days.

See previous topic on best islands, Phuket has over 20 beaches, many small and hidden away go explore.

For patong, if you want to reduce your expense, stay in either a guesthouse or a studio-style apartment with air which will be appx 9000-12000/month including air. The apartments (and the guesthouses that are near the apts) are a much better deal IMO because the friendly ladies will often be either next door, or eating right outside at the table downstairs. Phuket Happy Tour in the Royal Paradise complex is a good starting point. When you stay at the more expensive hotels, especially as a first timer, you have a big sign on you that says 'I have big money' and the tuk tuk will charge you accordingly.

Are you flying directly into Phuket airport, or will you be going to Bangkok and then either taking a local flight down or taking the bus to Phuket? Easiest to fly into Phuket. Take the airport shuttle van for 180 baht to Patong (or there is also a bus that might be cheaper).

The girls are generally much friendlier in Phuket than Pattaya on avg; I think the beaches has a lot to do with it. As a younger guy, just focus on building a reputation for rocking her heart in the bedroom and you shouldn't have a problem with them knocking down your door. And you'll be going at lower season as well.

You'll av a blast!

April/May good time to go, night out around 5k (+/-1) and that can be including a lady. If 5 mins from Jungceylon you don't need Tuk Tuks, athough if walking home early hrs and drunk then get on a motorcylce taxi (around 60B within Patong) thai whisky will give you flash backs 2 days later lol, can get JD everywhere but as in most other places there are local copy drinks, so some bars original where others you will know by the crap taste is copy. Cheaper bars at back of Patong along nanai rd and middle rd etc as you get nearer to Bangla so the price for a beer will rise. Early doors beer bars/sports bars, check out a few Go Gos later Suzy Wongs normally has decent price beer early on and you can have a laugh with the girls,, you will like the bars under Tiger, then for a young Gun lol,check out places like Hollywood/Tiger/Seduction - sometimes you go in and they might be dead/quiet just have a look first if so pop back later (within an hour they can be kicking again) 1am onwards they are all busy and more again after 2 am when most girls from the bars get off and will go to the clubs to find Young Hansum men biggrin.png i prefer Tai-pan but then I'm knocking on 50 but just like ending up there and always enjoy it. So the three mentioned more younger crowd overall and Taipan slightly older later on (not much in it though) you will be happy anywhere. Mostly Resturants along beach rd, Bannana used to be good around 23.00ish (but have not been in there for ages so don't know now)

Hire a scooter and when sober go and get around the island, is not too bad when you get out of town, just take your time, wear an helmet and watch for other idiot Kamikazi drivers/riders. there are some great places to see all within an hour on a bike.

You will love it and enjoy it- use your head and common sense, anyone offers you Drugs/Diamonds etc, just say no thanks and move on, don't get irate with anyone and be chilled, stay cool and you will have no problems

a few on here will say Do Not go etc, ignore them they are full of BS and as said Phuket haters,

Above all enjoy yourself! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thank guys!

I'm pretty sure im not gonna rent any Jet Skies this time smile.png I do have a valid license for car and 125cc and forklifts(!) but who cares about forklifts these days sad.png But i would feel much safer driving around in phuket in a large forklift!

But if my doctor from my country subscribes some Valium (Diazepam). Would it be a problem if i bought them at a random pharmacy there? Or do I need to convince/bribe some doctor? If my room got raided and they found 10 tabs of diazepam would they treat it the same way as Yaba?

Im guessing it's safe to walk home from bangla at closing hours to hotel which is like 5mins away from jungceylon? A tuk tuk would be a ripoff for that short distance or?

Cheap thai whiskey? Is it horrible? Im guessing they at least have some JD somewhere tho?

What I do is I buy the tabs for one month in my home country and bring the tabs and the prescription with you. Make sure your name is on the tablet container and the prescription. Some folks will say buy here, but I personally do not trust that I will get pure tabs, not some other chemicals mixed in for good measure. Go for genuine tabs from your home country.

You can walk but SA please, Situational Awareness at all times, who is near you, who is in the vicinity and who is following you?

JD is available and 100 pipers too. JW is also a big favorite here. Cheers.

If he has evolved to JD, he most likely will not like those spirits which need used bourbon barrels to make them tolerable.

When you go to Bangla Road, consider going to the Irish pub first , chill out with a few beers, listen to the music, then wander into a girlie bar, have 1 or 2 more beers maximum, then carry on, sooner or later,

check out the kathoey bar, you will be virtually amazedgiggle.gif

Then go back and get the girl you had your eye on..if you aren't too muntered alreadywai2.gif

With proper planning, I get back home to Cape Panwa by 3 59 AM.. but you can stay down there all night brotongue.png

The days you hit the tourist bars, bar fine the cuties, drink JD, and eat Western foods may indeed cost B10k; but can be decreased by recognition, negotiation, moderation, and choice limits respectively; and, as you mention, alternating days of party and sun. However, a good time can be had for B3-5k daily, if you act wisely, seek advice from local expats, and give the high life a break now and then. Of course, since you have accommodations sorted; if you can be cheap, eat on the street, and deny yourself the costly delicacies, you can spend as little as a few hundred a day, but why bother, if you have more.

• Like 1

Ignore the negative posts!

I first went to Phuket 3 years ago , and have been back 8 times since,made lots of friends and had a ball every time I go

and yeah sure you can spend 20,000 a day if you have it ,(and I have a couple of times) but drinking more then a bottle of rum in a night and taking more then 1 girl home after getting a massage with a happy ending and eating crab and lobster is a big day out and you can spread the "extra" activities over several days,

after you have been there 2 days come back and read through the positive posts in this thread and pick up a few tips you mat have missed or forgotten, there is a lot of experience shared here that was learnt over time

if you go there with a good attitude you will have a good time

I really enjoy the quietness of Kata. There is a good restaurant run by a Thai lady whom is also the chef and is located across from Color Hotel at Sawasdee Village. You can also enjoy some fun at Surf House Phuket located just steps away from Kata Beach. Be sure to seek a travel agent in Phuket for booking airport transfer versus taxi. From Kata to HKT Airport, I've paid 220 Baht when booking via a travel agent. Avoid non-Thai restaurants as you will fall victim to inflated prices. Street carts have delicious Pad Thai for 30 Baht and at night goes up to 120 Baht when all the tourists come out. And only go to food carts that are busy and popular with Thai locals so you don't get sick. Avoid pork from those cars. Just saying. ?

You will be more than ok with your funds. And trust be you will learn to do everything gradually in few days time. So my advice is don't rush into anything too fast.

Awesome! I will most likely start off slow anyways considering it's a 24hour flight and im going ham with valium during the flight and probably will need to rest first night anyway. Gonna start with some bars that aren't too loud and hopefully find a quiet place to have some beers. Then check out the places for the first few nights before i pick up the lady of death.

To the ones who said there were much better places in thailand? Which city/islands are you talking about?

My only advice to you, DONT FALL IN LOVE with the first cute one who says LOVE YOU LONG TIME , DONT rent jet skis , keep away from these rip off mafia jet ski/ tuk tuk/ taxi lot....DONT go there thinking you are someone and something special, looking down on the thais cos you have a few quid to spend...they couldnt care less about you , and if you are too cocky with them, you´ll soon find out their smiles turn nasty....

ENJOY yourself, im sure you will have a great time , just be careful, watch out who you trust , watch your back and you´ll be ok...

As has been said, the place has changed a lot over the years, Phuket , as well as Pattaya has attracted some awful people, thais and farang... BUT i still love it here, i just keep away from the dodgy types wink.pnglaugh.png

Edited by LivinginKata
specifics of prostitution removed

do not rent a motor bike and ride like its a grand Prix - I have personally seen young guys fall and damage bikes and have been threatened with

huge bills up to 15 grand or else - ride like you are relaxing and ride to the road conditions - simple

If you were going to go to Thailand - book a room for a day then go 4 a walk in - you can get better deals easy - I have been known to get rooms with spars kitchens 3 rooms for $20 or 500-600 baht in almost high season 2014

going site seeing on the water - hard to say - but for me I go straight to the harbour and deal with the locals

what do you get - a boat of your own - a driver who takes you where you want to go for as long as you want and for prices that run rings

around the operators in town and you go when you are ready not spend all day getting there and then get back at 8pm

Good luck

Edited by LivinginKata

Last 2 posts had much content removed. I remind members ...

Forum rule 7) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Normally, my actual advice would be turn round and go somewhere else. Avoid the dust in Patong and the roadworks and traffic jams on the way. A hell of a long way from the airport to where you might like to be, at least 800 baht even on the taxi meter to get down to the south. Then again, having read your resume, you are probably just the right sort of tourist for Phuket.

i go to phuket 2 or 3 times a year ive travelled all through thailand yes phuket is more expensive but it's a great place explore the island ! there's more to phuket than patong but night time ifs fantastic diazepam can be bought over the counter at most pharmacies and try not to fall in love in the first few days. for girls thaipan tiger hollywood seduction are good starting points go to suzie wongs and above all have fun carry you're license with you when on a bike and allways wear a helmet enjoy

Edited by LivinginKata

I can just imagine some troll, bored as hell fat massage girl/ladyboy typing this with her slutty friends laughing at all u gullible members answering this grub... people like this are the demise of this place, hence the reason why i think its a troll, seems to know too much already and a very phuket sex worker Thainess about the posts... IMHO. If genuine, go somewhere else, one less f wit to deal with!!!

Make sure when ur here, rent a jet-ski their fun, have a friendly Muay thai spa with some tuk-tuk drivers they love to play with the farang and ask the men in Brown where u can buy yabba or ice, they will look after u..... coffee1.gif

Don't bother. The place has been ruined in the last 10 or so years. Just another mafia infested island. I think you would have a much better time visiting the north of Thailand.

Lived there for 6 years in the 90"s, and it has been all downhill since then. Been back twice in the last 8 years and couldn't wait to get out.

Once you arrive in BKK, take time to see what is happening to Phuket on travel advisory...going North would be an adventure if you go by bus...ok lets go back once you arrive see if you can get into a guest house...there you will meet fellow travelers and they are the best in getting information on travel..they usually have information on where to go and stay. As for as what I have heard of Phuket is negative...it has changed a lot since I visited in Mid 80's...one place that would be interesting is Burma...stepping back in Asian Time...well best to you do your research and be careful...Mr. Ron

Oh so many replies already!

I do have travel insurance, a expensive one too. So it better deliver!

The hotel is like 5min walk from jungceylon so i'm gueesing tuk tuk/ taxi wouldn't be needed after a night out? or am i mistaken?

Really 10000 a night? Well if the hotel is already paid for and has no entery fee i guess the costs will be barfine + drinks + lt + food and other stuff. But will it really be 10k a night? that means that after 10 days out im already used my original budget and have to sneak out the dirty credit crads to keep going forward.

So, much money = GO Go 5k baht +++ for a night

What about these beer bars? What numbers are we looking at here?

But of course im a reasonable person so i wont go out every day either, so ill save some money there. But if a normal night with hard drinking + fun + girls + whatever turns up = 10k then that might be a small bump on the road.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

Do not rent a motorbike, do not rent a jet ski and do not use a Tuk tuk. That will potentially save you a fortune. Drinks in the bars in the centre of Patong are expensive, London prices really and drinks you buy for the bit of pussy that takes your fancy will be super expensive and probably just orange juice - it's a scam. If you drink in the bars on the outskirts cheaper but less girls to choose from. If you are on your own you will pick up company so keep a check on buying her drinks because you will be 2,000 down in lady drinks over a few hours.

Food can be super cheap from the road stalks and Thai restaurants again on the outskirts better. If you are in town it will be double to ten times the price depending on what you eat.

Avoid the beach guys, they are scumbags worse than in Southend. Avoid drugs as they are either not what you are told, poisoned or a scam which police are in on and you want to avoid the police at all costs as they are mafia themselves.

Keep a copy of your passport with you and any valuables in the hotel safe, take out only what you need to spend for an evening.

Don't go to Koh Tao.

Edited by LivinginKata
spcifics of prostitution removed
  • Like 1

I can just imagine some troll, bored as hell fat massage girl/ladyboy typing this with her slutty friends laughing at all u gullible members answering this grub... people like this are the demise of this place, hence the reason why i think its a troll, seems to know too much already and a very phuket sex worker Thainess about the posts... IMHO. If genuine, go somewhere else, one less f wit to deal with!!!

Make sure when ur here, rent a jet-ski their fun, have a friendly Muay thai spa with some tuk-tuk drivers they love to play with the farang and ask the men in Brown where u can buy yabba or ice, they will look after u..... coffee1.gif

LOL!

Seems like you have some paranoia going on there.

I loved the fact that you wrote "already know too much" and "very phuket sex worker thainess about the posts"

Not to be a bad guy or anything but most the thai sex workers there from what I see on "internet statistics" can barely put a real sentence together, let alone type one.

And yes yes mate, I will rent a jet-ski, rent a mc, be loud mouthed and threaten anyone in a range of 2 yards in front of me. I will have aweful stare down contest with all thais when they wai me, while i raise my fists.

Will also stack up on yabba and befriend local sellers so i can get a discount if i push it on other local tourists. Hope it gave you some peace of mind..

coffee1.gif

But to all others posts thanks so much! A lot of really good advice and information! Really looking forward to going! I hear it is really hot in april/may period! Anyone know average rain in those months?

Oh so many replies already!

I do have travel insurance, a expensive one too. So it better deliver!

The hotel is like 5min walk from jungceylon so i'm gueesing tuk tuk/ taxi wouldn't be needed after a night out? or am i mistaken?

Really 10000 a night? Well if the hotel is already paid for and has no entery fee i guess the costs will be barfine + drinks + lt + food and other stuff. But will it really be 10k a night? that means that after 10 days out im already used my original budget and have to sneak out the dirty credit crads to keep going forward.

So, much money = GO Go 5k baht +++ for a night

What about these beer bars? What numbers are we looking at here?

But of course im a reasonable person so i wont go out every day either, so ill save some money there. But if a normal night with hard drinking + fun + girls + whatever turns up = 10k then that might be a small bump on the road.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

Do not rent a motorbike, do not rent a jet ski and do not use a Tuk tuk. That will potentially save you a fortune. Drinks in the bars in the centre of Patong are expensive, London prices really and drinks you buy for the bit of pussy that takes your fancy will be super expensive and probably just orange juice - it's a scam. If you drink in the bars on the outskirts cheaper but less girls to choose from. If you are on your own you will pick up company so keep a check on buying her drinks because you will be 2,000 down in lady drinks over a few hours.

Food can be super cheap from the road stalks and Thai restaurants again on the outskirts better. If you are in town it will be double to ten times the price depending on what you eat.

Avoid the beach guys, they are scumbags worse than in Southend. Avoid drugs as they are either not what you are told, poisoned or a scam which police are in on and you want to avoid the police at all costs as they are mafia themselves.

Keep a copy of your passport with you and any valuables in the hotel safe, take out only what you need to spend for an evening.

Don't go to Koh Tao.

Yeah im not really into to the whole jet ski scene, so im gonna avoid that one. As far as bikes etc I might use them but only for short period of time like 1 day if i plan anything. Can probably ask manager at where im staying for some good advice and what company to rent from etc.

Was looking at spending maybe 2 LD on a girl and if i didnt like her by then, i would just move on and find someone else.

And about the food I heard it's best to just buy street food instead of going to restaurants since the food is almost always fresh therfore reducing the chance of it containing bacteria and to always buy food that had just been cooked.

But what kind of street food would u recommend? I know it's the cheapest but i like food that has a lot of proteins like red meat,chicken and so on. I heard thais eat like 5-6 meals a day so eating like 3500 kalories a day shouldnt be a problem by eating most meals from street vendors or?

Thanks!

Edited by nailclippers