Deposit check in Bangkok for US Citibank account?

I cannot speak specifically about Citibank, but some years ago I had a check, drawn on an American bank, and tried to deposit it in Siam Commercial Bank. They actually sent the check (physically) back to my originating bank, waited till it cleared, then had it mailed back to Thailand before they'd deposit the funds in my account. Oh, and this was a "bank check" not one from a 3rd party.

Don't know if that's any use to you, but I thought I'd try.

Here's a radical idea ... ask someone at a Citibank branch in Bangkok. All you're going to get on Thai Visa is well-meaning (and often totally confused or irrelevant) opinions that will probably bear no relationship to what actually happens when you go to the bank.

Thai banks do accept dollar check deposits to existing accounts with the caveat that it takes xx days for the checks to be cleared. Or you could send the check by EMS or registered mail at the post office. The risk of it being lost in the mail in that case would probably be less than you losing it on the way to the post office.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739393-need-to-cash-a-paper-check-from-a-bank-in-us/?p=8049736&hl=%2Bhuntington+%2Bbank

Just endorse for deposit only and mail it to your bank - even if you have no deposit slip a note to direct it to savings or checking works include account number on back of check for deposit only. Normally will take only a few days longer then a reg. letter does. I do this with med. insurance checks every three months. Most mobile banking like mine only allow check deposit via scan to work via dial up connection not internet.

Actually Bangkok Bank offers next day credit on many first party checks below $500 but still have the 300 baht charge that you get anywhere.

Mail has been totally reliable for me - using normal mail service from shophouse type place. The one time I tried EMS it took about 10 days for delivery in US city as they claimed nobody available to sign for (was post office box number for deposits). But mail does take me about 14 days to get it into account from mailing in Bangkok to Colorado.

As mentioned many banks offer Android paperless deposit.

Here's a radical idea ... ask someone at a Citibank branch in Bangkok. All you're going to get on Thai Visa is well-meaning (and often totally confused or irrelevant) opinions that will probably bear no relationship to what actually happens when you go to the bank.

Thai banks do accept dollar check deposits to existing accounts with the caveat that it takes xx days for the checks to be cleared. Or you could send the check by EMS or registered mail at the post office. The risk of it being lost in the mail in that case would probably be less than you losing it on the way to the post office.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739393-need-to-cash-a-paper-check-from-a-bank-in-us/?p=8049736&hl=%2Bhuntington+%2Bbank

Too radical for me smile.png

I stuck it in the post to the US as I haven't time to mess - but thought someone might have experience of Citibank.

* I like the idea of the mobile app, but Citi won't let me use their apps on my smart phone. Something to do with me being on a non US citizen expat Citi account that is based in the US I think?