Anyone using Paypal to sell to international buyers ?

OK - this is where I'm at :

1. Have quite a few audio components that will work here in Thailand, or in HK / Oz - most expensive cost me 2300AUD, cheapest about 16K THB, all less than 12 months old. Like most folk with too many toys, I want to sell some of the stuff that I just dont use.

2. I have an account with PayPal back in Oz and it's linked to my CBA account - works for me as I get all my correspondence in English and my experience with them has been mostly seamless. Havent sold anything using Paypal for quite a few years - even then it was only to other Aussies and I didnt have to pay currency conversion fees. Looked at their fees page today and its clear that if your buyer pays with a credit card you can be asked to wear a hefty charge. PP also love currency conversion - what merchant wouldn't ? I dont get bent out of shape about 3.6% for currency conversion, but when its on top of their other fees that could get expensive.

3. Before I list this gear on Head-Fi or wherever, I'm keen to hear from anyone with recent experience selling via PayPal. I'm not interested in bitcoin or whatever, and my experience buying with PP has been good : I'm just wary of the scammers and the fees. Any advice welcome - I just want to list my gear and get rid of it without having to deal with some of the people who've given online transactions a bad name. Thanks in advance.

I've only used them when selling on eBay. The items I sold were priced in US$ so the exchange rate & fees for the buyers changing into dollars was totally their problem and up to PayPal and their credit card company or bank. The amount initially received by me was the full dollar amount for the item sold plus shipping. Then of course PayPal took their cut before depositing the balance into my Chicago bank (and eBay hit my credit card at the end of the month for their selling fee).

As an example last month I sold something to someone in China for total of US $620 which he paid into my PayPal account, I was then able to send $601.72 to my US bank immediately ... deposit credited in a couple of days. So their cut was about 3%. I think their rates are higher for lower amounts and get somewhat lower for higher amounts.

Edited by Suradit69

Becareful. If the buyer pays by credit card they have 6 months to contact their credit card company and issue a charge back which results in you losing all the money from that sale. It doesnt happen often but its something to think about. You can try and fight the chargeback but its a headache. Its okay if you are selling items that arent that expensive but I wouldnt take the risk with high priced items, especially if your not making much profit per item.

Edited by CFC

Becareful. If the buyer pays by credit card they have 6 months to contact their credit card company and issue a charge back which results in you losing all the money from that sale. It doesnt happen often but its something to think about. You can try and fight the chargeback but its a headache. Its okay if you are selling items that arent that expensive but I wouldnt take the risk with high priced items, especially if your not making much profit per item.

Not entirely true....every credit card company is different in regards to their chargeback policies. If you use paypal for a transaction, its up to paypal for a dispute and not your own credit card company. Especially if using Ebay. Some credit card companies will refund but some wont.

As far as using paypal and ebay....it works just fine. I was a ebay and paypal merchant for a number of years and overall pleased with both.

be sure to check shipping cost first from Thailand, heavy items costs quite a bit and may not be worth your time when shipping is too high for buyers. Like the previous poster said, the fees are around 3%, don't forget to take the total amount into consideration as paypal will also charge 3% on the shipping fees.

Not entirely true....every credit card company is different in regards to their chargeback policies. If you use paypal for a transaction, its up to paypal for a dispute and not your own credit card company. Especially if using Ebay. Some credit card companies will refund but some wont.

As far as using paypal and ebay....it works just fine. I was a ebay and paypal merchant for a number of years and overall pleased with both.

If someone purchases something through Paypal using there credit card for payment, they can contact there credit card company to raise the charge back and Paypal just pass on the charge back. You only have 30 days to raise a dispute with Paypal and 6 months with your credit card company. I was pleased with Paypal until I got a chargeback, they didnt care. I produced all the information to them but didnt get anywhere. The item wasnt expensive so it wasnt the end of the world. But if selling expensive items and receiving payments by paypal its something to think about especially if the profit made on each item is small.

If someone purchases something through Paypal using there credit card for payment, they can contact there credit card company to raise the charge back and Paypal just pass on the charge back. You only have 30 days to raise a dispute with Paypal and 6 months with your credit card company. I was pleased with Paypal until I got a chargeback, they didnt care. I produced all the information to them but didnt get anywhere. The item wasnt expensive so it wasnt the end of the world. But if selling expensive items and receiving payments by paypal its something to think about especially if the profit made on each item is small.

Like I said, its up to the issuing credit card organization. Not all are same.

Paypal is secure and overall no problem. So you think Ebay the biggest internet auction site in the world would team with them if they had problems? Ill just leave it at that.

Dont buy with paypal to ship to Thailand unless the seller gives you "International signed for tracking" I have had items lost or not shipped and Paypal dont support the buyer. This is usually because a Seller does more business with Paypal and the buyer is not so important.

Edited by kingalfred

Dont buy with paypal to ship to Thailand unless the seller gives you "International signed for tracking" I have had items lost or not shipped and Paypal dont support the buyer. This is usually because a Seller does more business with Paypal and the buyer is not so important.

This is incorrect info

I have been selling on Ebay for over 13 years

I average 5000 sales a month

PayPal in my experience almost always side with a buyer in a dispute and refund the buyer

Like I said, its up to the issuing credit card organization. Not all are same.

Paypal is secure and overall no problem. So you think Ebay the biggest internet auction site in the world would team with them if they had problems? Ill just leave it at that.

Yes Ebay is the Biggest Internet Auction Site in the world but they teamed up with Paypal to earn Billions of Dollars simple as that. Do you think they are worried about one of there sellers if he has done everything by the book and gets a Credit Card Charge Back. Well I can tell you they dont. Its all about running the business as smoothly as they can from there perspective and earning as much $$$$$$ as possible in the process. I like Ebay and buy a lot fo stuff from it when back in my home country but the Credit Card Chargebacks are a good thing to think about if selling high priced items.

This is incorrect info

I have been selling on Ebay for over 13 years

I average 5000 sales a month

PayPal in my experience almost always side with a buyer in a dispute and refund the buyer

My Experience too.