international drivers licence..

Showbags

I think you have to get them in your own country , they are called International Driving Permits , and they run in conjunction with your home country driving license.

I think I am right in saying that they are a translation document , explaining to your host in their language that you have a valid driving license.

I could be wrong and if i am no doubt somebody will be along to tell me so.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

I think you have to get them in your own country , they are called International Driving Permits , and they run in conjunction with your home country driving license.

I think I am right in saying that they are a translation document , explaining to your host in their language that you have a valid driving license.

Correct, so op can get one here based on 5 year DL at any dlt.

The IDP (International drivers permit) can be obtained through associations such as the AA or RAC in the UK by post and sent to your address in Thailand. There are online companies that do this for you at a minimal fee.

Depends which country you are from?

The IDP (International drivers permit) can be obtained through associations such as the AA or RAC in the UK by post and sent to your address in Thailand. There are online companies that do this for you at a minimal fee.

Depends which country you are from?

i am after a thai inter lic....but out of interest...got any links to such services for an oz inter lic. Online ? Did a bit of a search, did not find one myself.

You can only get a valid IDP in the country you hold a valid license for. Example a person holding a Thai drivers license can only get an IDP in Thailand. Websites that offer online IDPs from other countries or longer than 1 year licenses are scams. And FYI many countries will now allow you to drive in their country using another countries home license eliminating the need form IDPs.

You can only get a valid IDP in the country you hold a valid license for. Example a person holding a Thai drivers license can only get an IDP in Thailand. Websites that offer online IDPs from other countries or longer than 1 year licenses are scams. And FYI many countries will now allow you to drive in their country using another countries home license eliminating the need form IDPs.

So that begs 2 questions if i may:

1 Could a Brit holding a UK licence and a Thai licence get an IDP in UK AND an IDP in Thailand?

2 Is a UK photo licence valid in Thailand WITHOUT an IDP?

Thanks...... VBF

1 Could a Brit holding a UK licence and a Thai licence get an IDP in UK AND an IDP in Thailand?

Thanks...... VBF

1. Sure as long as both country licenses were valid and you kept the fact that you had them all under wraps. Some countries will actually ask you to surrender your old countries license when applying for the new one. But why would you want to do that?

2. I believe it might be as long as you are not "a resident of Thailand". A visiting tourist Im pretty sure it is.

Thanks...... VBF

1. Sure as long as both country licenses were valid and you kept the fact that you had them all under wraps. Some countries will actually ask you to surrender your old countries license when applying for the new one. But why would you want to do that?

2. I believe it might be as long as you are not "a resident of Thailand". A visiting tourist Im pretty sure it is.

1 - Just academic interest - honest! whistling.gif

2 - Might (for some people) remove the need for an IDP at all rolleyes.gif

Edited by VBF

Wrong forum

MOVED

Would be handy if you told us WHICH FORUM you decided to move it to!

If you scroll to the top of the page it tells you which forum section you are in but given this is about licences one can safely assume the section is the motoring one.

Thanks...... VBF

Yes and yes for a tourist, for residents Thai DL is required. Edited by stevenl

The provincial DLTs do not issue them on their own, but send documents to Bangkok.

A couple of days until it arrives.

Not much more required than your Thai DL.

Yes they do...

I got mine in Suratthani, took 20 mins and cost 500 baht.

I get one in Chiang Rai each year, too, if I am traveling abroad. Quick and easy.

Edited by villagefarang

Thanks...... VBF

1 Of course you can but don't drive in the UK on an IDP based on a Thai licence, if you already have a valid UK licence, it will be frowned upon if they catch you

2 If you claim to be a resident of Thailand and here more than 90 days then no its not

I live in Thailand and have a Thai 5 year driving licence for a CAR. My UK licence enables me to drive a motorbike. If I am stopped by the Thai police I think they would quibble. If I apply for an International permit would this make me legal as far as driving a motorbike in Thailand?

If not what should I do?

I live in Thailand and have a Thai 5 year driving licence for a CAR. My UK licence enables me to drive a motorbike. If I am stopped by the Thai police I think they would quibble. If I apply for an International permit would this make me legal as far as driving a motorbike in Thailand?

If not what should I do?

Why don't you just get a thai bike licence ?

With your UK licence and the IDP getting a thai one is very easy.

Who ever asks to see them. ?.Ive often felt like saying for Heavens Sake ask to see the bloody thing for once.sad.png

Go drive a motorbike around Pattaya almost any day of the week and I'll almost guarantee you will be asked to show your IDP and licence at one the regular police shakedown points!

Thanks...... VBF

Yes to number 1. For number 2. technically no, but in practice yes.

If not what should I do?

Since you live here your UK license, with or without IDP, is of no legal value.

Get a Thai motorbike license.

• Like 1

Not sure where you're intending to use one? However, you do not need an IDP for the UK if you have a 5 year Thai drivers licence but as it's valid for 1 year there the Thai licence must have a minimum of one year until expiration on entry or it's no good!