international drivers licence..

Showbags

Who ever asks to see them. ?.Ive often felt like saying for Heavens Sake ask to see the bloody thing for once.sad.png

Go drive a motorbike around Pattaya almost any day of the week and I'll almost guarantee you will be asked to show your IDP and licence at one the regular police shakedown points!

SIR

You are soso wrong, i get stopped maybe once a year, 2 years ago, my gf had no helmet on, last year i turned left when i should have waited. Not bad in 12 years ehhhhhh.

• Like 1

5 year Thai DL

Copy of passport

Thb 500 odd

2 photos

And about 20 minutes needed at Mo Chit traffic department

=Thai IDP

I will be needing one in a couple of month and will use the Bangkok Area 3 Department of Land Transport on Sukhumvit 62 Road. I have a valid 5 year Thai license currently with over 4 years remaining and have read in the past that you also need a residence certificate to obtain the International drivers license. I would appreciate if someone that has in the past used that office could confirm not needing one. It would make things a lot easier if the residence certificate is not required. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer. Also I am on a retirement extension and do not have a work permit.

Edited by BobTH

I live in Thailand and have a Thai 5 year driving licence for a CAR. My UK licence enables me to drive a motorbike. If I am stopped by the Thai police I think they would quibble. If I apply for an International permit would this make me legal as far as driving a motorbike in Thailand?

If not what should I do?

You need to get a Thai motorbike license.

There have been discussions ad nauseum about the validity of overseas licenses being used in Thailand.

Personally I believe a bona fide tourist can use their home license for the duration of their holiday, but for a resident I'm with the school that says it is only valid for three months and then you must get a Thai license.

The IDP is issued and based on your current license. So at present you could only get an IDP for a car in Thailand with a validity of 12 months.

Bear in mind that an IDP is not valid for the country it is issued in. It does not take the place of your normal license.

If you lose your license for some offence the IDP is also nullified.

I guess you could travel back to the UK and apply for an IDP there to cover a motorbike - but I doubt anyone would do this.

5 year Thai DL

Copy of passport

Thb 500 odd

2 photos

=Thai IDP

Is there an age limit?

Is there an age limit on your 5 year Thai DL ? Then there is your answer an IDP is only a legalised translation of your current licence

5 year Thai DL

Copy of passport

Thb 500 odd

2 photos

=Thai IDP

I will be needing one in a couple of month and will use the Bangkok Area 3 Department of Land Transport on Sukhumvit 62 Road. I have a valid 5 year Thai license currently with over 4 years remaining and have read in the past that you also need a residence certificate to obtain the International drivers license. I would appreciate if someone that has in the past used that office could confirm not needing one. It would make things a lot easier if the residence certificate is not required. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer. Also I am on a retirement extension and do not have a work permit.

I have had 3 over the years and not needed one

• Like 2

I think you have to get them in your own country , they are called International Driving Permits , and they run in conjunction with your home country driving license.

I think I am right in saying that they are a translation document , explaining to your host in their language that you have a valid driving license.

I could be wrong and if i am no doubt somebody will be along to tell me so.

I have an older one from USA. It has been years since getting stop at check point. However, whenever they saw it they didn't need to see it.

Became even more friendly. It has been the same in other countries. It seems like just being polite to the officer and they take it that way.

I did see an ad in BKK where they were being sold in 2010 or thereabout. It is only a translation but appreciated by the officer.

• Like 1

You can only get a valid IDP in the country you hold a valid license for. Example a person holding a Thai drivers license can only get an IDP in Thailand. Websites that offer online IDPs from other countries or longer than 1 year licenses are scams. And FYI many countries will now allow you to drive in their country using another countries home license eliminating the need form IDPs.

So that begs 2 questions if i may:

1 Could a Brit holding a UK licence and a Thai licence get an IDP in UK AND an IDP in Thailand?

2 Is a UK photo licence valid in Thailand WITHOUT an IDP?

Thanks...... VBF

Yes to number 1. For number 2. technically no, but in practice yes.

#2- also yes.

• Like 1

If you are from the US. You go to the US Embassy.

All others, check on your embassies website, it may be the same.

For what ?
for international driving permit

Not if you have a 5 year Thai DL and looking for an IDP based on that you don't

For what ?
But the OP is after a Thai IDP, so that has to be obtained in Thailand at the Transport Department Office.
So OP has a Thai drivers licence and wants to drive in another country. I thought OP was from another country and wanting a permit to drive here.

For what ?
But the OP is after a Thai IDP, so that has to be obtained in Thailand at the Transport Department Office.
So OP has a Thai drivers licence and wants to drive in another country. I thought OP was from another country and wanting a permit to drive here.

In 99.9% of the cases there is no IDP required for that.

For what ?

No. Wrong. You can not get a IDP at the US Embassy. Please don't start silly rumours.

Oh so they just say that on the embassy website to take up space? I think you should know what you are talking about before you quote.

If you are a US citizen and have a valid US drivers licence , you can go to the US Embassy and get a international driving permit. Before purchasing the permit, check to see if it is required to drive in Thailand or any country you plan to travel to. No all countries require you to have a IDP.

For what ?

No. Wrong. You can not get a IDP at the US Embassy. Please don't start silly rumours.

Oh so they just say that on the embassy website to take up space? I think you should know what you are talking about before you quote.

I think you are misreading, looking forward to your link.

To help you, at this page, http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/driving_in_thailand.html, they mention besides some misinformation the IDP, and state that to obtain one at a Thai DLT you need Affidit for an International Driver's License, obtainable at US embassy. So not the IDP, only some of the required paperwork.

Edited by stevenl

Why would someone with a Thai licence need an affidavit from their embassy to get a Thai IDP ?

They are referring to an affidavit for a notarized Certificate of Residence which can also be acquired at the Immigration Office you do your 90 day reporting at for substantially less money. I asked if this certificate was required in tread number #32 of this discussion because I had read previously it was needed for obtaining a International Driving Permit which I will need when I travel in May of this year to the USA. I hold a 5 year Thai Driving License with over 4 more years validity and I asked if the office on Soi Sukhumvit 62/1 required it here in Bangkok. One person said he had obtained 3 over the years and did not need it but he wasn't entirely clear that he used this exact Department of Land Transportation Office. As we all know different locations seem to do each thing a little differently here in the Land Of Smiles. Also I am on a retirement extension so I do not hold a Work Permit, I believe if you hold Work Permit the Certificate of Residence is not needed.

Why would someone with a Thai licence need an affidavit from their embassy to get a Thai IDP ?

They are referring to an affidavit for a notarized Certificate of Residence which can also be acquired at the Immigration Office you do your 90 day reporting at for substantially less money. I asked if this certificate was required in tread number #32 of this discussion because I had read previously it was needed for obtaining a International Driving Permit which I will need when I travel in May of this year to the USA. I hold a 5 year Thai Driving License with over 4 more years validity and I asked if the office on Soi Sukhumvit 62/1 required it here in Bangkok. One person said he had obtained 3 over the years and did not need it but he wasn't entirely clear that he used this exact Department of Land Transportation Office. As we all know different locations seem to do each thing a little differently here in the Land Of Smiles. Also I am on a retirement extension so I do not hold a Work Permit, I believe if you hold Work Permit the Certificate of Residence is not needed.

In US the law varies with the states, but in most idp is not required, this license is sufficient.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went into pakchong dl centre today...cannot, only korat or bkk closest.

He said need medical cert and letter confirming address.........can anyone confirm this as true or hogwash.......can get med cert easy enough, not the address letter however...

Went into pakchong dl centre today...cannot, only korat or bkk closest.

He said need medical cert and letter confirming address.........can anyone confirm this as true or hogwash.......can get med cert easy enough, not the address letter however...

It would seem that each one has different rules. I needed nothing other than my original 5 year license and passport for additional ID. But I do have a work permit (can't remember if he actually looked at it)