Where to go for new kitchen

skippybangkok

First place I'd have a look is HomePro. But, Google is a wonderful thing. Have a look, there's heaps of kitchen manufacturers & suppliers.

On second thoughts, Google is the FIRST place I'd look.

Just sayin.

Cheers..... Mal.

Most Homepro's have decent ranges.. from lowish price up to oh my God you gotta be kidding!

If you get the measurements and a rough drawing of the shape of the room they will put it into a computer simulation .. it's pretty cool!

Edited by casualbiker

Just finished this kitchen using plastic cabinets inserts (no bug problems) . Basicly concrete block and slab covered by tiles

attachicon.gifP1000474.JPG

No toe kick at the bottom. I do like the louvers

No need for toe kick at the bottom.....base is all tile over concrete (white tiles) with the white plastic door and drawer inserts from Home Pro

• Like 1

Just finished this kitchen using plastic cabinets inserts (no bug problems) . Basicly concrete block and slab covered by tiles

No need for toe kick at the bottom.....base is all tile over concrete (white tiles) with the white plastic door and drawer inserts from Home Pro

Looks nice!

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost?

Morakot build a similar kitchen to Beachpropery and I think they look great!

Being built out of concrete they will outlast a chipboard and vinyl top I think. Our vinyl top needs replacing after only 5 year's it's started lifting on the joins.

• Like 1

Looks nice!

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost?

Can't give you an exact number as the builder in building the house included the price of building the block frame, concrete slab and laying the tiles so only had to pay for materials.....but tile cost was approx. 5,000 baht and drawers and cabinets were 1500-2500 baht apiece....Actually really inexpensive compared to the ready to install cabinets (Index etc)...and will last a LONG time.

• Like 1

There are a few big Thai vendors: Modernform, Starmark, Index, and SB Furniture - all of which we have used in the past and have got a good product from. However, for the past 2 years or so, we've been using http://www.kvik.co.th/ - prices are sometimes around half of the other vendors, quality is good, and warranty is unmatched.

Is this for a condo, house, rental? If you don't want the IKEA 'units in a box' a typical Thai building technique is build the frame with block, tile, then you buy whatever doors you want, with again whatever counter top you want, and it can be as cheap or expensive as you want. The block frame is super inexpensive then tile, counter top, doors, price is whatever you want. IMHO that is the better way, it survives the climate and in general is a helluva lot more durable that the chipboard units.

Sorry kitchen is a bit messy, but I think you can see from the side of the door what I mean about the construction.

post-97442-0-33148000-1421657004_thumb.j

post-97442-0-90184900-1421657029_thumb.j

• Like 1

A "toe kick" is for comfort while working at counter, not for scuff prevention.

A "toe kick" is for comfort while working at counter, not for scuff prevention.

OK....but counter extrudes from base by 2 inches....and comfort seems to be no problem working on the counterwhistling.gif

Edited by beachproperty

One option that I want to check out is a BKK company that makes the cabinets out of cement board. They look like western modular kitchens but are not made of particle or chip board. To my western eye, I can't get used to the cabinets made out of cement block and these seem to have the look I want but should be more durable in a tropical climate.

I'm planning to take a look at them for my new house in Krabi. I must say that I've been very happy with my Ikea kitchen here in California and I'm leaning towards Ikea for Thailand as well. Note that Ikea is in the process of rolling out a new line of cabinets globally and I THINK they will be available in Thailand this summer. You can view this new line (Metod) at the GB or Egypt Ikea site (in English).

Has anyone checked out this firm or know anything about their product? See attachment for construction method.

http://www.ayara1656.com/index.php?lang=en

http://www.ayara1656.com/product-th-967243-5083017-%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%94+%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81+3+%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%A7+%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87meta+box+%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%94+%E0%B8%81*%E0%B8%A5*%E0%B8%AA+30*55*73+%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%A1..html#

post-207556-0-17637900-1421688159_thumb.

I've put together a few carcass kitchens myself, even built a kitchen completely from wood including making a counter from the old mahogany counter from a pub being renovated.

HOWEVER never again I think concrete and block construction ticks all the boxes

EXCEPT

it usually looks just a bit basic.

I think they're usually done without those finishing touches which make all the difference.

I mean why not spend that little extra time or money to make it compete fully (and be much more long-lasting)?

We might even persuade the OP to use it and save him a bundle.

So what would be those extra touches?

I'll start others may add?

1. Yes a toe-under a10cm above the floor.

2. A doubled and rounded marble edge (if it's marble.).....looks way classier

3. Again if marble, a backboard also perhaps 10cm.

Any suggestions for how to do wall hung cupboards in the same style?

To add to my own constructive criticism/improvement of concrete and block kitchens:

4. I think the doors in the front look a bit undersized.....bit like hatches.

I would consider getting longer louvre doors made up in frames to go more from near top down to the toe-under.

I've had high quality regular 60% louvred doors made for about 5500 with top quality fittings so might come in at a competitive price for the much smaller kitchen doors (no expensive locks) maybe 3000 a pair?

5. I notice in the last photo kindly posted the pots under the shelf are basically sitting on the floor.

Although this may be OK for say storing appliances and maybe pots I think for chinaware and bits and such the bottom level should be raised to the bottom of door level (even though it loses a bit of space.)

It could simply be infilled with concrete (mostly rubble no strength needed.)

On thinking cement board may be very suitable for the upper shelf and again 100% rot proof

6. More standout for the countertop.

I would suggest a birds mouth drip edge too but there's no chipboard to rot so may be irrelevant.

ps:

no criticism here Ginboy that's maybe the best I've seen of this style well done.

BTW there was a Ginboy1?

pps

This is what i mean by doubled rounded edge for granite, and backboard:

post-120824-0-64863100-1421890838_thumb.post-120824-0-58832200-1421890929_thumb.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

In case it's not obvious, they double up with a strip of granite a two or three inches wide glued to the edge then round and polish them together.

Looks double the thickness therefore much nicer.

I'm glad this thread came along to help one realise what's lacking.

I shall incorporate the new ideas myself soon on a small kitchen, and hope others join in the discussion.

I'd think there is a very large cost differential between a "European kitchen" and a nice one of this type.