Foreign language skills a key need for surging tourism

webfact

Europeans have been teaching English to Thais in schools for a long time , if the teaching methods were up to standard , why are there no Thai nationals teaching English instead of the Europeans ?

This is not a dig , just a question.

There are Thais teaching English. However, they wind up speaking Thai 95% in their classes. Plus, they aren't strong on conversational English, so they devolve to teaching English as if it were math (future pluperfect, obscure grammatical stuff, archaid words/phrases, etc.). I had some Thai college students come up to me, asking me to assist with their English homework for an upcoming test. I looked at the study material. I was aghast at how convoluted, technical, removed-from-conversation, and just plain wrong - much of the study material was. I looked at the students, with their big brown innocent eyes, and had to say, "sorry, I can't help you with this."
  • Like 1

This article makes false claims. New York City alone well exceeds 50 million tourists per year dwarfing Thailand's 16 million. How could Time Magazine state that Bangkok was "the most visited city n the world?"

The majority of Thailand's tourists are sex trade primaries. This is a dark never discussed secret of Thailand. Without sex trade, Thailand would be nowhere on the tourist map.

You are saying that, because most probably you are a sexpat as well.

Hundreds of thousands of people are coming to this country each year to visit beautiful tropical islands, learn diving or rock climbing, do trekking etc. There is amazing food, amazing fruits, amazing culture, lots to learn. This is one of the most beautiful countries in the world offering something for everyone, every age group and every class. So Thailand will always be on the tourist map, with sex trade or not.

For example Philippines also has sex trade but it is not big on the tourist map, and there is a reason for that. Room prices are much higher, facilities are limited, food is terrible, it is much more dangerous there etc. Sex tourism is not enough for a large tourism industry.

Probably you never get out of Pattaya or Nana, so you are not aware of those things, I just wanted to remind you though.

Edited by gezginrocker
  • Like 1

This article makes false claims. New York City alone well exceeds 50 million tourists per year dwarfing Thailand's 16 million. How could Time Magazine state that Bangkok was "the most visited city n the world?"

The majority of Thailand's tourists are sex trade primaries. This is a dark never discussed secret of Thailand. Without sex trade, Thailand would be nowhere on the tourist map.

Hundreds of thousands of people are coming to this country each year to visit beautiful tropical islands, learn diving or rock climbing, do trekking etc. There is amazing food, amazing fruits, amazing culture, lots to learn. This is one of the most beautiful countries in the world offering something for everyone, every age group and every class. So Thailand will always be on the tourist map, with sex trade or not.

For example Philippines also has sex trade but it is not big on the tourist map, and there is a reason for that. Room prices are much higher, facilities are limited, food is terrible, it is much more dangerous there etc. Sex tourism is not enough for a large tourism industry.

Probably you never get out of Pattaya or Nana, so you are not aware of those things, I just wanted to remind you though.

Where did you get your rose-colored glasses? I'd also like to get a pair.

Where did you get your rose-colored glasses? I'd also like to get a pair.

People who actually live/work here and enjoy doing so, tend to have a more realistic and positive view of life here.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1