Avocados

phutoie2

There would definitely be regional differences. Decent ones can be grown here. The trouble is access to them.

That is correct, but I have never been able to find out how to get consistent supply of good tasting local avocados. I was on a salad diet a few years ago and I went to the the big fresh market in Chiang Mai every day. I tied all different vendors and I only got tasty ones a couple of times over a period of about two months.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sea salt and black pepper. heaven.

Yes Heaven,

Now go to paradise with this.

Prawn sandwich with cardo spread over the bread, P & S plus some lime juice squeezed over.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a bag of 4 for 99 baht from macro in bangna, Bangkok.They look like Haas but are a little bigger, have smoother greener skin. The last time I got these they were very hard for 3 days, on day four I cut them open and they were black inside. The outside was still hard. Im trying again, I use them in smoothies so I don't mind too much as long as they aren't rotten.

When I lived up north I would pay 50 baht per kilo (usually 3) in mae sai for these huge round ones that were very delicious. I saw them at villa market in Chiang mai for 39 baht each too.

There are plenty of Haas around but I ain't paying 89 baht each in topps or foodland. I use too many for that.

• Like 1

Very, very different than Haas.

What we call in the U.S. Florida type.

I've bought some too.

About half turn ripe as edible.
They are not delicious.

Lower fat than Haas type and very little flavor.

The Thai ones ripened texture also usually poor even the edible ones.

You buy cados here, you're gambling and the odds are against you.

I buy these cheaper local non-Haas ones mainly for nutrition.

When edible they still have good cado nutrition.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2015 at 11:04 PM, KevWaters said:

I've just bought a bag of 4 for 99 baht from macro in bangna, Bangkok.They look like Haas but are a little bigger, have smoother greener skin. The last time I got these they were very hard for 3 days, on day four I cut them open and they were black inside. The outside was still hard. Im trying again, I use them in smoothies so I don't mind too much as long as they aren't rotten.

When I lived up north I would pay 50 baht per kilo (usually 3) in mae sai for these huge round ones that were very delicious. I saw them at villa market in Chiang mai for 39 baht each too.

There are plenty of Haas around but I ain't paying 89 baht each in topps or foodland. I use too many for that.

Were they good finally ? I never found a bag of 4 for 99 thb at makro !

The only really decent avocados in Thailand can be had up north. The best are available in Chiang Rai area, usually 50 to 60 baht per Kilo. 

In Bangkok, I don't even bother with the 90 baht supermarket New Zealand varieties, they are tiny and 50% of them never ripen properly and go to waste.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had little luck finding good avocados in Mai Rim. From searches online when they first introduced avocados they went for a large variety. Unfortunately their tasteless and watery. Avoid the big ones. There are smaller ones, firm and full of flavor when in season. Just haven't been able to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

now in Ha Tinh province in Vietnam and found myself in a supermarket and emerged with 0.7 kilo (3  fruit) of the local avocados as pictured in post #35 for 19562 dong (USD0.86)...

tore into them when I got back to the hotel and they were sooo good...the last avocados I had years ago were purchased locally as well...the dumb provincial hotel people were reluctant to let me take a knife and a spoon from the dining room up to my room and reception had to intervene after some unpleasantness: 'whadam I supposed to do??? use me hands??? gedouttahere!!!'...

• Like 2

There are two good things about living in Southern California, the weather - not oppressively hot like Thailand - and good, reasonably prices hass avocados. I try to eat a half of one pretty much every day of the week and never get bored. I rather live in Thailand though. 

back in Hanoi in relentless search for avocados...7 years ago off Hang Be Street in the Old Quarter there was a vegetable street market, now the vendors have moved off the street onto the pavement...plenty of 'cados...but now 80k dong per kilo and not as nice fruit as in the provinces...

amazing, useta be only intrepid backbackers would ever come to Hanoi but now never seen so many fat white western female thighs in skimpy shorts outside of BKK...time marches on...

"tutsi's Vietnam avocado odyssey - 2017"...'and he ranged far and wide in his search: wind, rain and Sirens howling...'

(a massage parlour doorman as tutsi walks past: 'hey, old man...looks like you could use some pussy...' 'they got any avocados in there?...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

a tip for those avocado enthusiasts going to Hanoi on holiday: avoid the street sellers, a big scam and wildly over priced...when in the Old Quarter head to the Intimex supermarket on  the lower west side of the Hoan Kiem lake (entrance inside a courtyard, look for fruit, veg and meat banners outside) 28000dong/kilo and better quality...

get yerself some fresh bread and rip into it back at the hotel or wait until brekkie buffet time...can't go wrong...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...