Looking for Thai language guide to spaying a bitch

My GF has a 5 or 6 year old bitch, a cute little thing that's half Chihuahua and half poodle.

post-51556-0-41992100-1421643392_thumb.j

As she gets older she seems to be getting more and more manic whenever she comes on heat. This causes me problems when walking her and she's obviously in some discomfort, trying to have sex with the concrete road and so on. Combined with the risk of pyometra and certain types of cancer I think she needs to be spayed. However, I want the GF to fully understand why and what the risks are before deciding, but she's not the sharpest tool in the box and when I try explaining things like pyometra to her she gets that Homer Simpson look on her face like she's gone some place else and is just hearing me go blah, blah, blah. :)

So I'd like to get a Thai language guide that explains what's involved, the procedure, the small risks and the (probably major) benefits, but although I've tried searching on Google.co.th I can't find anything as my Thai language skills just ain't up to it. Can anybody point me to a Thai language website that explains all about spaying a bitch so that I can set the GF to reading it? A Thai language version of this sort of website would be ideal:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/how-will-spaying-change-my-dog

Thanks for any help. This may be more appropriate in the Thai language forum, I'm not sure, if I don't get any answers here within a few days perhaps a mod could move it there? Thank you.

Take the dog to the vet and take the GF with you. Then at least you can be sure that she's getting the correct information (assuming the vet knows).

That was going to be the next step once she's read up on all the issues and (hopefully, as I said she's not exactly Albert Einstein) understands the pros and cons. You know the way Thais are with doctors, it's considered rude to ask questions or show any doubt in the their infinite wisdom, and I assume it's the same with vets.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you'll have much problems getting this done, most Thai vets are OK, in point of fact I think I'd rather trust my local vet to 'open me up' than many of the local hospital doc's.

Since she's 5 or 6 yo it'll be easy. In my experience of getting animal's spayed here in Thailand the only issue is a reluctance to do it until after their first heat. I have always had them spayed at around 12-16 weeks which is now the normal in the US

I don't think you'll have much problems getting this done, most Thai vets are OK, in point of fact I think I'd rather trust my local vet to 'open me up' than many of the local hospital doc's.

Since she's 5 or 6 yo it'll be easy. In my experience of getting animal's spayed here in Thailand the only issue is a reluctance to do it until after their first heat. I have always had them spayed at around 12-16 weeks which is now the normal in the US

You raise an interesting point there and I was wondering whether I should ask people's opinion on it. The vet I've been using seems to know his stuff and he's conveniently located for my house and reasonably priced. But he's a one-man practice and I'm not sure if he's capable of doing fairly major surgery like spaying an older bitch. Also, I read that after the operation the dog should be kept under observation overnight and I doubt if he's set up to do that either.

Somewhat less conveniently located for me and rather exorbitantly priced I am told is the premier pet clinic in Pattaya, Muang Ake. I'm sure this place would be able to do the surgery and aftercare, but probably at two or three times the price of my usual vet. Plus I'm one of those people who feels loyalty to someone who has done good work for them in the past, and I'd feel like I was letting the side down going to another vet. OTOH I don't really mind paying the extra money if it ensures the best and safest result for the dog.

Does anybody have any opinions on this matter, can a one-man vet practice safely spay an older bitch?

Edited by Guderian

You raise an interesting point there and I was wondering whether I should ask people's opinion on it. The vet I've been using seems to know his stuff and he's conveniently located for my house and reasonably priced. But he's a one-man practice and I'm not sure if he's capable of doing fairly major surgery like spaying an older bitch. Also, I read that after the operation the dog should be kept under observation overnight and I doubt if he's set up to do that either.

Somewhat less conveniently located for me and rather exorbitantly priced I am told is the premier pet clinic in Pattaya, Muang Ake. I'm sure this place would be able to do the surgery and aftercare, but probably at two or three times the price of my usual vet. Plus I'm one of those people who feels loyalty to someone who has done good work for them in the past, and I'd feel like I was letting the side down going to another vet. OTOH I don't really mind paying the extra money if it ensures the best and safest result for the dog.

Does anybody have any opinions on this matter, can a one-man vet practice safely spay an older bitch?

Spaying an animal isn't really a major surgery, but I totally understand where you are coming from. The vet I use is also a 'one man band' and doesn't have any overnight facilities.

That being said, I know I could if I had to call him if there were problems day or night.

For older animals, I think the big problem in the first 24 hours is that they want to tear out the stitches, so as long as you keep the elizabethan collar on, the chances of anything going bad is probably minimal. They are also pretty groggy for the next day after the surgery anyway and want to sleep, which minimizes the risk of problems

Spaying and neutering at an early age may be normal' now in the States, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's good for the dog, as the latest research supports.

The reproductive hormones are quite important for the growth.

Castration before the dog is physically and mentally matured can give an increased chance on bone-deformation (such as HD in Golden's), increased chance on osteo-sarcoma, increased chance on hypothyroidism, increased chance in incontinence in bitches later in their lives, increased chance in aggression towards other dogs in confident bitches, etc.

I suggest you read this, including the links that are added: http://www.luckydogs.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Web_-_Spaying_or_neutering_-_Pro_s_and_Con_s.pdf

As for having the dog spayed at a one-man's clinic, I have no problem with that as long as the vet is skilled.

Since we moved further out of Chiang Mai I hardly visit my regular vet anymore. They are plain too far now. Closeby, there is a one woman's vet with her (assistant)partner who has extensive practical experience. And I've been there several times already, including spaying of a bitch.

Here it is common practice that the owner brings his/her pet in the early morning, no food and water since midnight. Then later in the morning the operation occurs. The owner is called once the animal is up and about again, usually a couple of hours after surgery. During that time the vet checks for possible complications.

So Guderian, if you comfortable with your own vet and think he's skilled enough, then i suggest to bring your dog there. :)

Thanks for the replies, that helps me a lot. I'm still trying to explain/convince the teelac about the merits of spaying her dog. Once she understands the pros and cons then I'll get her to visit the usual vet and ask him if he's able to do the operation.