where to suggest a friend visit in Thailand when you have no suggestions

Smurkster

I have a friend who is coming to Thailand for 3 weeks this June, first time to SE Asia I will not be here during this time, so I won't be able to show him around. He has asked me to put together a list of things that he must do while he is here, I am at a Loss to be quite honest because frankly, I think he shouldn't waste his time here at all other than transit at Swampy, but that is my opinion and he doesn't want to hear any of my recommendations that he try Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia or even Burma as opposed to Thailand....

I honestly do not know what to recommend as I have lived in Thailand for 3 years but have rarely travelled around it and have mostly done my traveling in other SE asian countries...

a few days in Bangers (I guess that would be interesting and exciting to someone who h as never been to Asia, as a place to start) then maybe Chiang Mai then to some Island in the south??? Again I am at a loss as to what to recommend objectively because IMHO, I would avoid the place all together

anyone have any good suggestions of the best places for him to enjoy this country? I live in Isan, I don't really think there is anything up in this area that would interest him, (I for one would head here first if I was traveling into Thailand, but I am different than him)..

Thanks

I'm trying to convince him to do Laos and Cambodia in those three weeks, I may have already convinced him

Is that what he wants? What kind of traveler is he? As you said, you like Issan where many others find it boring. I've been all over Asia, spending months in some of the neighboring countries. IMHO, for a 3 week trip, only LP in Laos is worth a visit and only Angkor Wat in Cambodia. With Angkor Wat being the #1 choice. IMHO, Thailand is more interesting and has much more to see....and is much easier to get around as a solo traveler. Now Burma. I've only spent a short time there but seems like it has some really neat places to check out. Transport is tough though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm trying to convince him to do Laos and Cambodia in those three weeks, I may have already convinced him

Is that what he wants? What kind of traveler is he? As you said, you like Issan where many others find it boring. I've been all over Asia, spending months in some of the neighboring countries. IMHO, for a 3 week trip, only LP in Laos is worth a visit and only Angkor Wat in Cambodia. With Angkor Wat being the #1 choice. IMHO, Thailand is more interesting and has much more to see....and is much easier to get around as a solo traveler. Now Burma. I've only spent a short time there but seems like it has some really neat places to check out. Transport is tough though.

I think he is really interested in seeing culture, that is why I don't think thailand is the best for him, too westernised, a disney land version of what he could find genuine in other neighbouring countries

I don't actually even really like Isan all that much, I just tolerate it...

It's amazing how my feelings of love and excitement for this country have all but completely disappeared after only three years

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear that. Many still come here as tourists and love it. I think as a tourist, you don't really see all the "pimples and warts" like us long time expats do. When I first came here, I could care less about corruption and politics as I was leaving in only a month or so. Never even looked at the local news. Never encountered corruption...at least from a tourist's perspective.

By the way, 2 places that are like disney land now are Angkor Wat and LP. wai2.gif

• Like 1

I would keep him off the tourist centres. Try Kanchanaburi for a few days. Hua hin as opposed to Bangkok, then come down that coast for a ferry to an island (not Koh tao as he may never leave) maybe Koh lipe

Is he travelling alone, with family, hard to know unless you know what he likes and is "really" looking for, some say culture wats and temples but they really mean soapies and short time.

Edited by RolandRat
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry to hear that. Many still come here as tourists and love it. I think as a tourist, you don't really see all the "pimples and warts" like us long time expats do. When I first came here, I could care less about corruption and politics as I was leaving in only a month or so. Never even looked at the local news. Never encountered corruption...at least from a tourist's perspective.

By the way, 2 places that are like disney land now are Angkor Wat and LP. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

I tend to agree with you about Luang Prabang (although I still think it beats Chiang Mai any day). That being said, all you need to do is go 10 Kms outside any city in Laos and you will be in the "real" southeast Asia....I have had the pleasure of Lao friends showing me places off the beaten path

I would keep him off the tourist centres. Try Kanchanaburi for a few days. Hua hin as opposed to Bangkok, then come down that coast for a ferry to an island (not Koh tao as he may never leave) maybe Koh lipe

Is he travelling alone, with family, hard to know unless you know what he likes and is "really" looking for, some say culture wats and temples but they really mean soapies and short time.

No I truly don't believe he is into soaps or short times at this point, he has a girlfriend, I forgot to mention she is coming too

Thailand is a great country for a first time traveler to Asia. But the other countries are great also! Tough choices. He has limited time, so going to several other countries would be tough. Too much time wasted in transit.

Bangkok is a great city to visit. If you love big cities, then 3 days or so would be great. Especially if he is single and would enjoy someplace like Nana. At least 1 full day is needed to see the 3-4 major sights. CM is a great place to visit also. 2 full days there, then maybe rent a car and do the Mae Hong Son Loop. Can easily burn 4-5 days and it's a great trip in a rental car. Maybe even head up to CR and the golden triangle.

Definitely hit a few islands. Phuket is great as it's very large and quite a bit to see. Again, getting a rental car is really nice.

I'd highly recommend he get a travel guide like Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Fodor's, Frommer's, whatever. They are bibles, but reference guides and they have sample itineraries that are pretty well laid out. Worth the $20.

I would not spend my money on guidebooks when better info is available free on the web. Check out www.wikivoyage.org as a start. A lot of us residents spend a lot of time writing it.

For culture's sake, I would recommend a trip up north. Start with Bangkok, stay 3 days, see the National Gallery, Wat Phra Kheo and a few other temples. Make a day-tour to Ayutthaya ! Then either fly or take the train to Chiang Mai. Relax in CM for 2-3 days of leisure. From Chiang Mai, start a few day-tours, for example an elephant camp, Doi Mae Salong, The Golden Triangle. Or just do the the Mae Hong Son / Pai loup for 3-5 days, which is a fantastic journey !

From Chiang Mai, one can buy a Bus Tour to Luang Prabang, Laos. Stay around 2 days in Luang Prabang, then head back to Chiang Mai. From there he can fly to Phuket or Krabi.

However, you said they will arrive by June, this is the monsoon season for all coasts south of Chumpon. You might not be able to get to Koh Lipe by boat in June ! You might hit fairly good weather on the eastern coast ( Cha Am, Chumpon, Samui, Ko Chang) but not so at the western coasts (Andaman sea).

Maybe he should better fly back to Bangkok from Chiang Mai ( or again, the train - stopover at Lopburi suggested!) ) and from there take bus, train, or taxi to Hua Hin for the rest of his stay on chillout at a beach.

Three weeks seem short but you could do all of the above within this period without any stress.

Them being first-timers, I would not recommend the use of a rental car. Way dangerous because they are not familar with the way the Thais drive. However, up in the northern hills, it may be a good choice. Being able to stop at will for something interesting on the Mae Hong Son and Pai loups, it's a great way to see the place.

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

A few days in Bangkok is a must. River long-tail boat and a look around the city sites and perhaps a few gogo areas. After that a flight to Chiang Mai looking at temples and getting use to country Thailand. Then rent a car for a few days and go to Chiang Rai. Go see the white temple, the city clock etc. Travel around the mountain areas for great views (sunrise and sunsets are great) and see the hill tribes. Then off to an island, perhaps Koh Chiang to get some sun and beach time. Last stop, Pattaya for some fun and clubs and perhaps Temple of Truth for something cool to see.....

Then 1000 baht to airport ...

• Like 1

A few days in Bangkok is a must. River long-tail boat and a look around the city sites and perhaps a few gogo areas. After that a flight to Chiang Mai looking at temples and getting use to country Thailand. Then rent a car for a few days and go to Chiang Rai. Go see the white temple, the city clock etc. Travel around the mountain areas for great views (sunrise and sunsets are great) and see the hill tribes. Then off to an island, perhaps Koh Chiang to get some sun and beach time. Last stop, Pattaya for some fun and clubs and perhaps Temple of Truth for something cool to see.....

Temple of Truth is mediocre at best

....From Chiang Mai, one can buy a Bus Tour to Luang Prabang, Laos. Stay around 2 days in Luang Prabang, then head back to Chiang Mai. From there he can fly to Phuket or Krabi.

thats a LONG bus ride

Bangkok fly to Phuket

Phuket fly to Chiang Mai, do the road to Mae Hong son

Bus it Chiang mai to Chiang khong, cross over to Lao an do the 2 day boat trip down to Luang Prabang

fly back to Bangkok

thumbsup.gif

will fill up 3 weeks easy

....From Chiang Mai, one can buy a Bus Tour to Luang Prabang, Laos. Stay around 2 days in Luang Prabang, then head back to Chiang Mai. From there he can fly to Phuket or Krabi.

thats a LONG bus ride

Bangkok fly to Phuket

Bus it Chiang mai to Chiang khong, cross over to Lao an do the 2 day boat trip down to Luang Prabang

fly back to Bangkok

thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif>

I don't think he will really dig Phuket, I'm thinking Southern Thailand should be outta the picture completely. It will just leave a bad taste in his mouth knowing him

thats a LONG bus ride

Bangkok fly to Phuket

fly back to Bangkok

thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif>

I don't think he will really dig Phuket, I'm thinking Southern Thailand should be outta the picture completely. It will just leave a bad taste in his mouth knowing him

no idea why, there's lots of us that live down here plus 6+ million tourists /year that love the Island :-)

BTW its nicer now than its been in the past 10

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

My first time in thailand I did it in a set pattern.

3 days in BKK

tour of the city with the different temples and such

Patpong and NANA are also on the list if he likes that kind of entertainment.

A day trip or overnight to Kanchaburi is also a great thing to do as almost all of us have heard of the bridge but never seen it let alone go on the train

The palace is another great lace to go

Asiatique

I would look at a week in Phuket or a few days in Pats ( not sure if there is enough to do in Pats for a week

Chang Mai might be nice for a few days also.

If I was going out of the country then I might book my flight home through Saigon and do the tourist thing there.

• Like 1

Temple of Truth is mediocre at best

I thought it was cool....Huge temple that is 100% carved in wood. The guy wants to see something different so this surely is and I don't think anything like it in the world. Beautiful Thai temple !

Just an idea :)

Edited by ttthailand
  • Like 1

We live in Phuket and love it, but went to Luang Prabang on a Visa run last week.

We thought it is the nicest place we've ever been to in the 40+ years we've been in Asia. But Siem Reap is pretty nice too.

Asia --- a great place, but there are pitfalls - as there are everywhere.

• Like 1

By the way, 2 places that are like disney land now are Angkor Wat and LP. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

I tend to agree with you about Luang Prabang (although I still think it beats Chiang Mai any day). That being said, all you need to do is go 10 Kms outside any city in Laos and you will be in the "real" southeast Asia....I have had the pleasure of Lao friends showing me places off the beaten path

The same can be said for almost any city in Thailand. I live about 15 km outside Pattaya. Night and day difference. Just down the road are markets where you'll rarely see a farang. 100% Thai.

why did he choose june i doubt the weather will be great but any other time outside the rainy season i would have said take a flight down to krabi & have a few days in Railay beach then onto Koh lanta & depending on their age onto phi phi.

beautiful places no or hardly any bar girls & fun with other ferrangs on phi phi.

that is when i went there a year or 2 back.

Edited by cookie1003

At least spend a little time warning him of the scams that "newbie" tourist are likely to encounter...a naïve tourist and his baht are soon parted...

Absolutely great to be forewarned. With that being said, I'd hate to think of all the countries I've been in where I've been scammed. sad.png The worst probably being Moscow. But Paris had it's fair share of scams also. I think there is a website listing such scams????

As a first time tourist, the only one that got me was the one saying it was the Queen's birthday and the Grand Palace was closed. Come with me on my tuk tuk for a tour...with a few stops at jewelry and tailor shops along the way! All in all, it wasn't that bad. I even rented jet skis here in Pattaya with no problems. Lucky I guess??

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Doing the Boat trip from Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang, as being tipped by another poster, sure beats taking the bus by lenghts !!!! There are a few blogs on this topic , need to search a bit in the internet . . .

Like I said, forget the South south of Chumpon in June . . . . .monsoon season. That's why I suggested Hua Hin, or Khao Takiab and the little beach beyond. . . it's far enuff south.

Remember they are first timers . . . i would not send them on a criss cross country tour. It's like it is with food . . .slow food beats fast food . .

It would pay off to know a few do's and don't s before visitng a country . . etiquette and scams . . .well, that's the basics for a tourist. Same as getting an accident insurance for the duration of the journey.

• Like 1

To be in the crowd and still see something nice with gf, OK

I would choose, 2 maybe 3 days in BKK and stay close to Siam. Depending on where youre from you might need some time to slow down and accept the temperature.
See the palace, recling Buddha, maybe a little bit of shopping for the trip - some nightmarkets

A day trip or over nigth to Kanchanaburi is great for history and if you like to check out tigers at that Temple, that might be a nice combo. Do choose a small group if possible so that you will get a guide for you and hopefully a better van.

Ayutthaya - day tour again

Angkor Wat is great, do fly there - will probably use 4 days with travel time. There are some nice combinations that you can book when in Thailand.

Sun and relax in June? Cha Am or Hua Hin should be nice ... Andaman is probaly windy and wet.

Finally, before gong home, some more time in Bkk with shopping and pampering

Book the trip in/out and the first and the last hotel at Hotels or Agoda, then sit down inside a local travel agent for the rest when you arrive, do read about it a little and get a feeling for what you want to do.

The worst thing that could happen is stress - never be in a hurry on a vacation in Thailand, that will fail!

Isaan in June, nah - we go there to relax and live, not to be tourists, right? ;)

1st week? Bus - Train

Bangkok to Ko Sichang/Pattaya, to Ayuthaya, to Sukotai, to Chiang Mai

2nd week? Plane

From Chiang Mai to Surat Thani/Ko Samui, to Phuket

3rd week? Plane

From Phuket to Kuala Lumpur, to Bali or Singapore

One thing to consider is that my birthday is in

June so he had better turn up with my birtday

present. The other is that Thailand has 2

seasons,,,,i.e. HOT and STINKING HOT so

consider an itinerary somewhere cooler but in

South East Asia you won't escape the heat in

June,,,,

The slow boat Chiang Khong to LP is a fantastic suggestion and one your friend would never forget.

I'd BK for 3 days, Sukothai for couple nights, then Chiang Rai then the slow boat.

If time permitted, a few days on any of the islands.

And those who suggest not Koh Tao...one horrible incident doesn't mean tourists go but mysteriously, never return.

And Smurkster, if I disliked everything about Thailand as you do, I'd not even bother giving him advice as it would be counterproductive for both you and your friend.

• Like 1

You need to narrow down your friends interests. Does he like beach life ? Does he enjoy site seeing ? Perhaps his interests are sailing and fishing? Perhaps he is an avid cyclist. You have left it too wide open and without knowing your friend, recommending what to do and where to go is impossible. Perhaps you do not know him that well ? Ask him what he believes is an ideal holiday. That would be a starting point. Ask him what were his best holidays.

Been here for three years, not been anywhere, know nothing and wouldn't recommend the place to your friend. What, don't have the means to travel? Live in Isaan, nothing to do in this area, so you recommend Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia or even Burma as opposed to Thailand. I wonder if you live where you say, as this is where I live and there is always plenty do. The first time for your friend to Asia I think he is a lot smarter than you not to accept your recommendations as it appears he wants to visit Thailand and maybe he's finding it hard to understand your thinking, especially if you really do live here.

Is this a fair dinkum post or a gee up to get a bite. If you are as you describe in your post, then why are you still living here? Why don't you just follow you own advise and do not return when you leave. I cannot understand people like you. Cannot find anything nice to say about your host country despite you allegedly living here for 3 years.

Why would anyone on here recommend anything to a misfit like you. You would only complain and whinge like you are now if it was not to your liking. It's no wonder you're at a loss, never been anywhere, never done anything, so how do expect to help your friend. Types like you really get up my nose, no brains, no common sense but always, please, please help me despite bagging the country. You don't deserve any friends or any help because it is obvious you only care about yourself and not what others may want or maybe interested in.

. .

Edited by Si Thea01