Driving licence without a test.

torrow

Oh and don't forget you will need a Thai translation of your uk licence,cost me about 200baht i think.

Not at most offices, just your original will do.

Agreed

It seems the rules vary from office to office,they insisted i had a translation which ran to about 10 pages ,photocopys of the translators id ect,guess i just got a pedantic clerk.

500 in an envelope will bypass such things immediately. biggrin.png

Not anymore It won't ;)

Edited by Soutpeel

Rayong last week- two licenses, one for car one for bike. Had a California license with M1 (m/c) endorsement, but it took some doing to point out the tiny print codes and get them to accept it. Med certificate, immigration form allowing license, copies of passport and visa, copies of license. 2 of everything because there will be two licenses- very important.

By far the hardest thing for me was aligning the two sticks- I had NO idea what they were talking about and no one spoke enough English to explain.... I finally got it but jeeze.... you are about 15 feet away from a big metal box with two sticks inside. One stick moves, the other is fixed. Using the buttons on the desk, move the moving stick to align with the fixed stick. There is also a brake pedal/accelerator on the floor but I never did figure that out.

Everyone got a good laugh including the 20 or so people leaning against the wall. I was sweating bullets, I just couldn't figure out the intent. I post this for others who might find themselves in the same boat!

Rayong last week- two licenses, one for car one for bike. Had a California license with M1 (m/c) endorsement, but it took some doing to point out the tiny print codes and get them to accept it. Med certificate, immigration form allowing license, copies of passport and visa, copies of license. 2 of everything because there will be two licenses- very important.

By far the hardest thing for me was aligning the two sticks- I had NO idea what they were talking about and no one spoke enough English to explain.... I finally got it but jeeze.... you are about 15 feet away from a big metal box with two sticks inside. One stick moves, the other is fixed. Using the buttons on the desk, move the moving stick to align with the fixed stick. There is also a brake pedal/accelerator on the floor but I never did figure that out.

Everyone got a good laugh including the 20 or so people leaning against the wall. I was sweating bullets, I just couldn't figure out the intent. I post this for others who might find themselves in the same boat!

Yes that alignment test is a nightmare. After failing it twice, I discovered the trick is to leave it in the position you find it ( assuming the person before you aligned it correctly) and then raise your hand to signal you've finished. No one checked or realised I hadn't done anything - pass!

• 3 months later...

I have been to Phetchabun this week for a first one year licence, had full UK licence, no translations needed, but after the eyesight tests was pointed to the classroom next door where I had to do the whole test, 4 hours video, afternoon E-test and the next day driving test, took two whole days up. They explained the rules are changing, no 'gimmes' for anyone, the test room had cameras supposedly linked to Bangkok

post-37292-14311390143261_thumb.jpg

Bangjak, opposite Sukhumvit Soi 62 on the odd Soi numbered side. There's a clinic on the even numbered side near bts bangjak where a medical certificate costs 80bt and is issued immediately at the counter without any form of examination.

4. For me, a uk photo card license was accepted without any translation or embassy certification.

I only had to do the colour "traffic light" tests, peripheral colour vision and the depth perception "parallel stick tests". The yellow looked light green to me so was unsure but quite obvious when the actual deep green came up.

The "brake" reaction test machine was broken on the day so an automatic pass.

Edited by guru