Cost of relocating water well on property?

Kunjay

Yesterday I was quoted THB 30k for up to 20 metres deep but with a guarantee of water (with 2 inch pipe). Separately I was quoted 900 baht a metre with no guarantee and a probability of up to 100 metres. Hmmm!

Just north of Chiang Mai.

Can you really move (reposition) your well or do you just drill another one?

"Water in the ground" versus "water under the ground" the former can be moved, the latter may not be able to. If you have a bore hole "well" then yes, you just drill another one, and hope.

Yesterday I was quoted THB 30k for up to 20 metres deep but with a guarantee of water (with 2 inch pipe). Separately I was quoted 900 baht a metre with no guarantee and a probability of up to 100 metres. Hmmm!

Just north of Chiang Mai.

Water you would get at 100 meters would very probably be much better quality than what you would get at 20 or less meters.

"Water in the ground" versus "water under the ground" the former can be moved, the latter may not be able to. If you have a bore hole "well" then yes, you just drill another one, and hope.

What is 'Water in the ground"?

What is 'Water in the ground"?

If you dig a hole in the ground it will eventually fill with water, depending on how deep you dig and the level of the water table in the area. That is the type of "well" that is most often seen in Thailand, typically dug by hand or by a macro (JCB), anywhere between 5 and 20 metres deep. The trouble is that water is unclean and whilst useful for watering gardens, it's not fit for human consumption, in most cases.

EDIT for clarity: the bore hole or water under the ground is typically deep down and uncontaminated, whether or not it can be accessed from any given location is a major risk.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Kunjay-

From the photo it appears that your well was dug by hand, not drilled. If that is the case and it is a hole the size of the concrete ring shown in the photo, the cost of a new one will depend on the depth you have to dig, it will likely be about the same depth as the existing one unless you put it on higher ground.

The concrete rings are not expensive and it is probably best just to buy new ones rather than moving the existing ones. There is also some Thai juju about old wells and not filling them in with dirt, they think they should be left alone.

So you need a couple of diggers for a few days and they will give you a price depending on how many rings you are going to put in, or perhaps you hire them by the day. Sorry it has been a long time since I dug one like that so I do not recall the price.

I live in the Hang Dong area of Chiang Mai and have a hand dug well into laterite that supplies all of my water for cooking and washing, dishes, clothes and showers. This well is about 5 to 6 meters deep and lined with round concrete rings. I have seen several (5 or 6) wells here in Chiang Mai, one being in downtown, and they all seem to have been dug in this laterite soil and have water level up to about 6 feet from the top. In the 3 years I have lived here, I have never run out of water. I also use this water in my 2 aquariums, 600 litre, with no problems. This type of well can be installed in 2 to 4 days, at minimal cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laterite