Extend visa or pay overstay

My 60 day tourist visa will run out 3 days before I leave, would I be better off just paying 1500 baht overstay at swampy or going through all the rigmarole of getting an extension at Jomtien for 1900 baht.

Will having an overstay cause any future problems like in getting a non imm visa ?

If I apply for extension how many days before visa expires can I apply ?

Edited by keebone

It's a difference of $13 I don't see how he's a cheapskate. The time and rigmarole is the issue. Not all laws are equal, studies show people break laws on average once a day.

Zero problems with getting a future visa of any kind, people have overstayed over a decade then turned around and came back in with a new visa. I'd vote overstay and enjoy your holiday.

• Like 1

Nobody knows the future - maybe if you overstay, your name goes on some kind of blacklist and a future rule change could exclude you from the country for a long stretch.

No overstay = clean record and nothing to worry about in the future. I say pay for extension - it's worth the little extra to sleep easy.

Unless you're a cheapskate who enjoys breaking the law go and get an extention. I'm pretty sure you can get the extention a few weeks before your visa expires. I know I did mine over a week before it expired.

" I'm pretty sure you can get the extention a few weeks before your visa expires."

It doesn't matter when the visa expires, it's when the permission to stay expires that is important (the date on the stamp given when you enter the country or extend your stay). Your visa can expire long before your permission to stay expires.

Jspill. Not wanting to pay the $13 difference is considered being a cheapskate. He's getting an extention on a tourist visa, not an extension based on marriage or an ED ext. If you call getting a simple 30 extension an issue than you are quite a lazy person. So your claim that "studies show that people break the law at least once a day" by doing something like jaywalking or littering means that you can justify someone intentionally breaking a law that could see you put in IDC and deported. Last time I got caught jaywalking I certainly wasn't deported.

Edited by ldiablo