Ex-MP Keng Karoon given 16 months prison term for defamation

webfact

Ex-MP Keng Karoon given 16 months jailterm for defamation

21-1-2558-13-10-00-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Pheu Thai MP Karoon Hosakul was today sentenced to 16 months imprisonment without suspension after he was found guilty of defaming former Democrat MP Taenkhun Chit-isara by the Criminal Court.

During the party’s election campaign rallies on June 3 and 13 in 2011,Karoon, alias Keng Karoon, made speeches laced with defamatory remarks against his political opponent understood to be Taenkhun and his family.

The court said that even though Taenkhun’s name was not mentioned by Karoon but it was understood that his insinuation was meant to ridicule his Democrat opponent and family.

The court imposed a two-year jailterm on Karoon which was lowered to 16 months for his confession. But the court refused to suspend the imprisonment.

After the announcement of the verdict, Karoon asked for a bail through his lawyer by putting up a surety as guarantee.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ex-mp-keng-karoon-given-16-months-jailterm-defamation

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-21

• Like 2

Wasn't that the scumbag who rode a jetski through the floods in Sai Mai laughing and careering about while his constituents wrung their hands in despair in front of their destroyed houses?

Couldn't wish for a better MP.

Enter the red apologists..................................coffee1.gif

I really don't like this guy, but 16month is a bit heavy.

1 month cleaning the streets or something like that would be better.

• Like 1

Wasn't that the scumbag who rode a jetski through the floods in Sai Mai laughing and careering about while his constituents wrung their hands in despair in front of their destroyed houses?

Yes, same one, he got a fist sandwich from the locals as a gesture of appreciation but that's OK, since he is no stranger to physical confrontation:

"Karun allegedly kicked Somkiart (Democrat MP Somkiart Pongpaiboon) and punched him in the face.In reaction to his verdict, Karun said he and Somkiart knew perfectly well what had really happened."Though I did exchange greetings and wai him in the courtroom, I will not apologise,"

Yes, he did that.

He also has a long history of assault and violence against his wife, fellow MP's in Parliament, and reporters coupled with various financial shenanigans.

Googling under the more often used transliteration of Karun reveals a litany of multifaceted offenses going back nearly a decade.

Edited by Criow

Thiis man is a fine example of why reform is needed. This man made my day and allows me to dream for a bright future for the place I will one day retire in.

Just imagine….When this criminal and assault perpetrator Keng and his party offered 40% above market value for rice the local people without a doubt voted for him. They didn't care about his present or past because they are desperately poor and did anything for a better life for them and their children.

If a murderer and terrorist offered 41% above market value they would ignore Keng and vote for the murderer and terrorist. They would not care about his present or past because they are desperately poor and would do anything for a better life for them and their children.

Ensure the scheme is not sustainable and one can be guaranteed that in 4 years when the next election is knocking on the undemocratic doorstep of Thailand, the people, who were as poor as they were 4 years earlier will still vote for the murderer and terrorist who is billions of baht richer.

Offer people a sustainable life where they can support themselves without relying on anyone and they will then reflect a rational vote unchained from the desperate pathetic shadow of despair and hopelessness that forces them to vote with a clouded conscious.

This pathetic excuse of a man who optimizes the party that won the last election nearly 4 years ago is the pin up boy for why reform is needed and shows without a shadow of a doubt why the PTP are disappearing into obscurity.

• Like 2

Thiis man is a fine example of why reform is needed. This man made my day and allows me to dream for a bright future for the place I will one day retire in.

Just imagine….When this criminal and assault perpetrator Keng and his party offered 40% above market value for rice the local people without a doubt voted for him. They didn't care about his present or past because they are desperately poor and did anything for a better life for them and their children.

If a murderer and terrorist offered 41% above market value they would ignore Keng and vote for the murderer and terrorist. They would not care about his present or past because they are desperately poor and would do anything for a better life for them and their children.

Ensure the scheme is not sustainable and one can be guaranteed that in 4 years when the next election is knocking on the undemocratic doorstep of Thailand, the people, who were as poor as they were 4 years earlier will still vote for the murderer and terrorist who is billions of baht richer.

Offer people a sustainable life where they can support themselves without relying on anyone and they will then reflect a rational vote unchained from the desperate pathetic shadow of despair and hopelessness that forces them to vote with a clouded conscious.

This pathetic excuse of a man who optimizes the party that won the last election nearly 4 years ago is the pin up boy for why reform is needed and shows without a shadow of a doubt why the PTP are disappearing into obscurity.

Nice :)

if only reform was possible in the land of reverse evolution.

Seems he got bail. One could suggest those PTP guys get preferential treatment with the courts.

Only last week the EC decided to throw out several complaints made against alleged election misconduct by yingluck.

A day later the Administrative Court dismissed a lawsuit filed by 28 Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom residents against yingluck in which they demanded compensation for damages from alleged mismanagement of floodwaters by her government in 2011.

We have a yellow shirt leader in jail for 20 years and 2 red shirt leaders out on bail for terrorism. Those reds do seem to get all the breaks..

I certainly don't agree with this latest decision, but a principle of democracy is respect for the law.

With that respect for democracy one can be assured that I will not throw sh#t at the courts, burn effigies of the judges, burn coffins out the front of the court house, I will not intimidate the judges and I will not give the judges addresses out like some have done in the undemocratic past. Yes, yes yingluck was elected!!!

• Like 2

Seems he got bail. One could suggest those PTP guys get preferential treatment with the courts.

Only last week the EC decided to throw out several complaints made against alleged election misconduct by yingluck.

A day later the Administrative Court dismissed a lawsuit filed by 28 Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom residents against yingluck in which they demanded compensation for damages from alleged mismanagement of floodwaters by her government in 2011.

We have a yellow shirt leader in jail for 20 years and 2 red shirt leaders out on bail for terrorism. Those reds do seem to get all the breaks..

I certainly don't agree with this latest decision, but a principle of democracy is respect for the law.

With that respect for democracy one can be assured that I will not throw sh#t at the courts, burn effigies of the judges, burn coffins out the front of the court house, I will not intimidate the judges and I will not give the judges addresses out like some have done in the undemocratic past. Yes, yes yingluck was elected!!!

Can't you bring in the pouring of aids tainted blood, children as human shields, the incineration of Bangkok, something to do with human embryos and amulets, massive rape and pillage of the country by the shins, the cold blooded murder of drug dealers carried out by the police and army at the behest of Thaksin (and someone on high), the clever use of snipers to murder unarmed civilian demonstrators, the murder of nurses and journalists by men in uniform, over 2,500 civilian casualties in the removal of the demonstrators, the amazing failures in arresting those who burned a shopping mall and killed a Colonel just as he was planning the death of fellow citizens, etc etc etc

I understood you received a 50% sentence reduction for a confession. While I am sure he is a typical politician (lowlife)

The defamation laws in Thailand are ridiculous. So while he may well deserve a stint in the monkey house it is not for this. coffee1.gif

Can't you bring in the pouring of aids tainted blood, children as human shields, the incineration of Bangkok, something to do with human embryos and amulets, massive rape and pillage of the country by the shins, the cold blooded murder of drug dealers carried out by the police and army at the behest of Thaksin (and someone on high), the clever use of snipers to murder unarmed civilian demonstrators, the murder of nurses and journalists by men in uniform, over 2,500 civilian casualties in the removal of the demonstrators, the amazing failures in arresting those who burned a shopping mall and killed a Colonel just as he was planning the death of fellow citizens, etc etc etc

You started off so well before the red fog took over. however you went a little too far when you alluded to Col Romklao 'planning the death of fellow citizens', nothing but a slander of a soldier killed/murdered in the line of duty while following the orders of his legitimate government to disperse riotous protesters.

If you follow the other threads today, you might note the cyber communications bill, and 16 months jail for defamation. Wishing you good luck would be hypocrisy.

Edited by halloween

This particular guy deserves all that he gets...and more...

But in the broader scheme of things, Thailand should NOT have libel or defamation as a criminal offense, especially in a political/electioneering context.

Unfortunately, those now in charge, AFAIK, despite their talk of reforming, have done and are doing nothing to reform that outdated area of Thai law.

It should be a civil offense, punishable by hitting the guilty party in the pocketbook, where it hurts most for a lot of these types.