Confused what to do (ED visa extension to marriage)

Hi,

I appreciate for taking the time to read and help me out.

Im currently on my 2nd 90-day extension of a non imm ED visa issued June 2014 and ive had 3 multiple entry tourist visa's before that.
My last extension allows me to stay in Thailand till mid March 2015 and im living in Chiang Mai.

I'm unofficialy married to a thai woman since December 2013, we had a ceremony etc and we ar both in our twenties and she is now pregnant for 5months of our first child.
I just came back from a 3week holiday in my home country Belgium with her.

I should be able to get another 90day extension from immigration because im still having thai classes, but if dont get another extension, i need to be prepared...

I would like to make our marriage official, but after some research it seems like quite a hassle and unclear where to start...

I also don't have the required 400k thb in a thai bank, but i can have it saved within 6 months.

So what is the best thing i need to do right now ? Can i go from a ED visa extension to a 1year extension based upon marriage ? What I have to do for that ?
Do i need to get all my paperwork in Bangkok first and then apply for a non imm O visa at Vientiane for example ? I read here, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793872-ed-visa-to-marriage-visa/ that I need to cancel extension first with letter from school, but how do i ask this at my immigration to do this, how does this work ? Maybe better to just finish my extension and then go to Vientiane for new single entry non O visa ? But how would i be able to get a single entry O visa just like that ?

When i do start my paperwork for the marriage extension/visa
What paper do i need to get first ? Affirmation of freedom to marry ? Then get it translated ? Then ...?
Is there any way i can get an extension/visa just by showing pictures of ceremony and other pictures ? I guess not but maybe there is...
Is there a way to avoid the 400k rule for now to have more time to get it saved first ?
Im quite confused with all this and what to do, i would appreciate it if someone could help me out here,
Sorry if its unclear, feel free to ask more.

Ty in advance

Since you need to get married first I will start from there.

You will not need the 400k baht in the bank to get married.

You will need an affirmation of permit to marry from your embassy or consulate. Many embassies websites have a template for the affirmation or an example of one. They will also have different requirements to get one.

After you have the affirmation of permit to marry you will need to have it translated to Thai and have the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The translation service can get the certification done for you.

Then you can go to an Amphoe and register you marriage.

Then after you get married and have the 400k baht in a bank account in your name only for 60 days you can apply for an extension of stay. The info in the topic you posted a link ti gives you info on what you will need to do.

If you don't have the 400K baht you could make a trip to the consulate in Savannakhet Laos and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

ty for your fast response,

So i dont need to show 400k or any money for registering marriage ?
I only need to show it when i want to make an extension, right ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/305-0.html
Here it says requirements for registering marriage is show income... What if im an entrepeneur and im registered as unemployed in my home country, I only have 200k thb in bank atm, but i also get family support. Is this a problem ? Just show statement with the 200k is ok or ?

thx in advance

That info you posted is not correct or very outdated. The best place to find out what you need for the affirmation is your embassy website.

The affirmation will have a space for your income. But nobody will ask you for proof of your income.

thx, there is no info provided for that from my embassy, but i'll give them a call tomorrow.

Are you sure? There's a whole page regarding marriage. http://countries.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/thailand/consular_services/marriage_in_thailand/

Starting off with (English version because of posting rules) and much more at the website:

Marriage in Thailand
I. Before the marriage

Belgian nationals who wish to marry another Belgian national or a Thai national in Thailand are kindly requested to contact the Thai authorities (‘Amphur’) to verify the exact requirements they need to meet in order for their marriage to take place. At the Amphur, you will learn which documents you need to submit and if they need to be legalized or translated.

The Thai Registrar at an Amphur office usually requires from Belgian nationals an “Affidavit for marriage” that must be made in person at the Consular Section of the Belgian Embassy in Bangkok, and a “Certificate of no diriment impediment”, i.e.an attestation from this Embassy that according to the Belgian law there is no Belgian legal caveat to the marriage of the Belgian national.

The following documents have to be presented at the Consular section of the Embassy of Belgium in order to obtain the “Certificate of no diriment impediment” and the “Affidavit for marriage”:

So what is unofficially married mean? Just a thought. Or does it have to be registered in Bangkok? I would do some homework on this, well if it were me. Thailand and many other nations have different agreements on marriage, it is the same in the United States. Yes there are differences depending upon what country you come from, and also, agreements between nations.

Thailand seems to be so vague, on some of these ideals. Does you nation recognize duel-citizenship? Some countries do not... Just thought mind you....

Best of luck on your endeavors, and blessings to the new little one you have coming. wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

So what is unofficially married mean? Just a thought. Or does it have to be registered in Bangkok? I would do some homework on this, well if it were me. Thailand and many other nations have different agreements on marriage, it is the same in the United States. Yes there are differences depending upon what country you come from, and also, agreements between nations.

Thailand seems to be so vague, on some of these ideals. Does you nation recognize duel-citizenship? Some countries do not... Just thought mind you....

Actually is quite rare for countries to have specific agreements about recognition of marriage. There can be special cases, e.g Muslim countries recognizing polygamy, or other countries (Cambodia) prohibiting marriage to foreigners, but Thailand is not one of these. Foreign, documented marriage is immediately recognized in Thailand, end viceversa.

I wonder if the document needed like birth certificate, paper of good behaviour, paper of residence
I have all this now requested in my home country by family member, is a scan(copy) of this ok or does it have to be the original one, because sending from europe to thailand is slow and very expensive.
Also it's all in dutch, does it have to be translated all to english by certified translator or doesnt this have to be translated ?

Thx once again

I wonder if the document needed like birth certificate, paper of good behaviour, paper of residence

I have all this now requested in my home country by family member, is a scan(copy) of this ok or does it have to be the original one, because sending from europe to thailand is slow and very expensive.

Also it's all in dutch, does it have to be translated all to english by certified translator or doesnt this have to be translated ?

You only need the marriage certificate, in original. It has to be translated and legalized at the MFA in Bangkok, together with a letter from your embassy or consulate.

But for applying the freedom to marry i need to have birth certificate etc all those papers, should those have to be translated to english or would just in dutch be good enough since it's been done at belgiam embassy

You need to ask to your embassy or consulate what is needed for them to issue you a letter of freedom to marry, possibly nothing. The letter from the consulate is in English and is accepeted at the Thai Amphur.

Ok i found out it needs to be translated to thai in thailand, so no need to do it in english first, but it also says no digital copy of it, needs to be original one. Does this mean a family member of mine has to send it with post to thailand ? That takes couple weeks and very expensive, is there another way around that ?

Ok i found out it needs to be translated to thai in thailand, so no need to do it in english first, but it also says no digital copy of it, needs to be original one. Does this mean a family member of mine has to send it with post to thailand ? That takes couple weeks and very expensive, is there another way around that ?

"It", what? As mentioned above, you need a letter of freedom of marriage for your embassy. If you are Belgian, refer to the following page:

http://countries.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/thailand/consular_services/marriage_in_thailand/