Strawberry season in Chiang Mai

midas

I would be very grateful if someone could clarify some points regarding when strawberries start to become more plentiful and better value in Chiang Mai then they are right now.

I have asked several local Thai’s but they don’t seem terribly knowledgeable about it.

Last Monday morning I went very early to the fruit market which is next to the river and near the US Consulate. In that whole fruit market there was only one stall offering no more than half a dozen containers at 250 baht per container for the most average looking tiny strawberries I’ve ever seen.

And yet in the night market last Sunday at Thappae Gate and adjoining streets there were fruit shake vendors with beautiful looking strawberries and today I saw the same thing outside Kad Sun Gaew.

They can afford to pulverise this fruit and sell them at only 20 baht per container for a generous number of strawberries so they must be able to get them from somewhere quite cheaply and they were good quality.

But when I asked the vendor or today where I could buy them it was like I was asking for the moon.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Just to add, they're not very low price yet.

4 days ago I was at Chiang Mai Gate market with some Chinese people at 6am in the morning, and the market lady wanted 125 Baht for a box that couldn't have been more than half a kilo and likely less.

They seem most abundant (and cheapest) in February.

Jam & frozen fruit makers take note. ;)

There are several roadside vendors of strawberries in a row on Canal Road east side, a few blocks north of the turnoff to Wat Jed Yod, say a mile or so south of Huay Kaew Road area. They sell very large berries, and the prices don't seem bad. I bought a box of these a few years ago and was disappointed in the taste. Not sweet, and unnaturally hard. I suspect these are genetically modified, but I could be wrong.

s it true that GMO is used to grow strawberries?
No. There are no genetically modified strawberries commercially grown and shipped.
Different varieties of strawberries are developed for different climates and growing conditions. These varieties are developed using traditional breeding methods that involving selecting two parents and crossing them using their flowers.

This from the site http://www.californiastrawberries.com/about_strawberries/frequently_asked_questions

So very unlikely GMO strawberries in Thailand. Most likely cloudy weather diminished the sunlight enough to cause low sugar in the berry when the farmer wanted to harvest.

There are several roadside vendors of strawberries in a row on Canal Road east side, a few blocks north of the turnoff to Wat Jed Yod, say a mile or so south of Huay Kaew Road area. They sell very large berries, and the prices don't seem bad. I bought a box of these a few years ago and was disappointed in the taste. Not sweet, and unnaturally hard. I suspect these are genetically modified, but I could be wrong.

This is the traditional area for selling them, and the place where the prices are usually the best.

But don't expect them to taste like they do at home (wherever home is). Beautiful but totally lacking in the real strawberry taste.

Thanks Frank I’ll check it out tomorrowsmile.png

But do you mean the turnoff to Wat Jed Yod or the turn off to Wat Umong ? Wat Umong turning is indeed south of Huay Kaew Road area but Wat Jed Yod is quite far away in the national park?.

Edited by midas

Countless stands in Chiang Rai last week...80 thb per KG.....should be here soon. Produce is high at Worrorat Market.

" Produce is high at Worrorat Market."blink.png

I totally disagree

Read my post again. I wouldn't say six containers in the whole market last Monday morning is a description of produce being high

We had some of the most beautiful strawberries two weeks ago. Large, bright, bright red with firm, uniform shape...

Unfortunately, they tasted rather like lemons... Quite sour and not the slightest strawberry flavor.

Thailand is doing better these days than eight years ago, when they were only producing oddly shaped little white and pink things they were calling strawberries. Well, they've got the size and shape down now, so all they need to do is add the flavor. Shouldn't be more than another five years...

Usually the best locations for quality and pricing is on the Mae Rim - Samoeng loop.

Your in luck the Samoeng Strawberry Festival is coming up..February 6 to 9 http://www.openchiangmai.com/strawberry-festival/

Samen is GPS18.847472, 98.731722 About 50km from Chiang Mai. IMHO this festival it is worth the time and makes for a great day out. Samoeng is the the strawberry capital of Thailand. The strawberry you see in the local markets are from this area. Thats the good news. The bad news as already pointed out is the product looks fantastic but the product taste like @#!$. The only place that you will get a strawberry like back home is at Rimping or Tops and then its buyer be ware. BTW the Samoeng loop is a great drive and if your up to it you can get to Pai from Samoeng.

Edited by khwaibah

We had some of the most beautiful strawberries two weeks ago. Large, bright, bright red with firm, uniform shape...

Unfortunately, they tasted rather like lemons... Quite sour and not the slightest strawberry flavor.

Thailand is doing better these days than eight years ago, when they were only producing oddly shaped little white and pink things they were calling strawberries. Well, they've got the size and shape down now, so all they need to do is add the flavor. Shouldn't be more than another five years...

In 12 years here can't remember ever having a strawberry that tasted like it should. Not sure if it because they pick them too early or just bad varieties but they sure don't taste like a strawberry should.

Thais like to eat them in a cup with a few spoonfulls of sugar on top which is not on for us

In 12 years here can't remember ever having a strawberry that tasted like it should.

I have. Not a lot, but some and they do seem to be getting better and better. The red ones are usually fine with cream and honey or sugar and we used did the same thing back home.

Soak your "pesticide drenched" strawberries (or any other fruit and veg) in a sink with a few dashes of vinegar in the water. Leave, 10-15 minutes. There is always a way.

Got a few good punnets yesterday at tops. Not bad either. 90 baht each.

Edited by DaamNaam

• 1 year later...

I see there is no 2016 Strawberry season topic so will add to this one. smile.png Pretty poor season this year and pricey for what you can find. I remember the days of 80-120 baht/kg.

My wife knows I like strawberries and usually will pick up some for me but the pickings are not so good this year. She did surprise me with these though that she got at Mae Hia market. I slice them, sprinkle sugar on them then sprinkle some water and put them in the frig for 24 hours. Comes out with a nice syrup and the strawberries and syrup go on top of vanilla ice cream. licklips.gif Have to do it this way as they generally are not sweet here but it works a treat. 300 Baht/kg for this box.

24955987110_9f8c9017a2_z.jpg

25225324186_9453652596_z.jpg

Bananas, at least reasonable ones, have been in short supply too and I have a standing order for some. She got these at Mae Hia market. Now bananas on the bottom then vanilla ice cream then strawberries on top.

25133316052_83d01189b5_z.jpg

Strawberries in ''Thailand'' ..CRAP...

Europe or California is the Place...

Two weeks back for 250 km down the 11 and 1 were fruit stands all selling strawberry from Samoeng. Price was 50 baht for what I call a quart same size in Warort Market was 100 baht. As for quality I was amassed they rivaled anything that is grown in the US or UK. Yes we stuffed our selves and purchased extra. Fantastic.thumbsup.gif