Passport Short Of Space

My passport, is very short of space, and since it has my one year 'O' visa in it, I can't be bothered the hassle and expense of changing it 'early' and getting the Thai visa transferred etc.

So Cambodia is out: always a full page sticker.

Question is this;

How big are Singapore/Hong Kong/Malaysia entry/exit stamps?

I am a British passport holder.

Will a couple of half pages of passport space be enough?

You do not want to spend the small expense in getting a new passport and transfer visa , but consider to fly HKG,Singapore etc.

The cost are far higher specially if you have to travel from Pattaya.

The stamps of Mal,SG,HKG are appr same size as the ThaiStamp , except Mynmar which is a bit bigger.

However it might be that the officers who stamp the passport does "waste" space on purpose .

Edited by visarunner

You do not want to spend the small expense in getting a new passport and transfer visa , but consider to fly HKG,Singapore etc.

The cost are far higher specially if you have to travel from Pattaya.

The stamps of Mal,SG,HKG are appr same size as the ThaiStamp , except Mynmar which is a bit bigger.

However it might be that the officers who stamp the passport does "waste" space on purpose .

I should have emphasized 'hassle' more than expense. It is no longer a breeze to apply for a replacement passport at the British embassy in Bangkok. The passports are the new 'chipped style'.

It would take two trips to Bangkok, plus special photos plus tranfer of visa etc. Plus it is impossible to telephone through to the British embassy.

An overseas break in KL, HK or SG, would be more of a 'mini-break': Plus, months of passport validity are not 'added on' in the British embassy in L.O.S. only in the U.K. (another con). (British passport fees are about 7000 baht now in L.O.S.).

Singapore as I look in my passport used 1/2 a page (2 small stamps on a plate for 4 (U.S. Passport)

The option of Myanmar is not too bad either. Fly to chiang Rai from BKK then take a bus or charter a car up ....

(The Glennfiddich across the border was 970/ltr ... nice savings!)

Myanmar visa run (DIY)

- Take the bus to Mae Sot from Mo Chit busstation. Dept 08:00 regular, 09:00 deluxe, and nighttime 3x VIP (expensive but cuts an hour off the trip). Trip time 8 (7) hours

- Take a moto or tuktuk from the Mae Sot busstation to the border. (Rim Moey)

- Check out of Thailand at the friendly immigration officer at the start of the Thai-Myanma Friendship bridge. You will probably be the only foreigner, no queues, you got your own window.

- Walk over the bridge to the Burmese side, cross over to the right hand side (they drive on the right side of the road)

- Enter the Burmese immigration office, bypassing everyone again.

- Hand over 500 Baht (and sometimes 5 or 10 Baht for a photocopy of your passport page) They will take care of all forms required.

- If you want to visit Myawaddy state so, you will get a Border pass (a post-it note with a stamp on it) and you can walk around the village for a couple of hours. If you choose to skip this option, wait about 2 minutes while your passport is being processed.

- a small entry and exit stamp will be placed in your passport, signed by the official and your passport returned to you.

- Walk back to the Thai side and report to the same officer as before, you will be given the standard entry/exit form to fill out

- Welcome to Thailand! Take a motorcycle or shared taxi (10B) back to Mae Sot, enjoy the village for a day orso (the market is actually worth a visit) or just take the next bus back to Bangkok

Total space taken up in passport: 1/2 page (2 thai and 2 burmese stamps, don't have to be on the same page even), Total border turnaround time less then 30 minutes (most time spent walking the bridge). Smiling people all around, no harassment by beggars, totally different from the Cambodian experience.

Only disadvantage is the distance from Bangkok.

Hope that helped.

If you plan to enter Cambodia at the Phnom Penh International airport or the Siem Reap International airport you can apply in advance for a e-Visa.

You will receive your e-Visa via email if your application is approved. Print out the e-Visa email and bring it along to Cambodian Immigration as your Travel VISA.

There is NO e-Visa sticker that needs to be attached to your passport.