Chaiyaphum, new center in Isaan, finally a bar!

glegolo

A friend of mine stays at a resort in Kalasin. The owner told him the first year he made good money, and then everyone was building a resort and the second year he didn't do nearly as well. He said last year he barely broke even, but he said that's okay, because I don't have a loan, all my competitors have loans, they are struggling to pay the interest. I agree with Pianoman, a crash is coming, but I have been saying that for two years now. Obviously the finance community thinks different, because the baht is holding its own, if not rising against the US dollar, where just about every other currency is falling. It use to be that when the Canadian dollar fell against the US, it didn't really bother me, because the baht did too, so the Canadian dollar stayed the same against the baht. Not this time, my spending money is drying up quickly. It makes no sense to me. My experience is that usually when it makes no sense to me, I am right and the high finance guys are wrong. So I expect a crash in the next year, it may have already started, but will take some time until the banks get affected, and then some more time before the currency gets affected. I think I will be poor for the next year or two.

• Like 1

Will definitely visit the bar next time I am there in Chaiyaphum. Unfortunately this wont be until later this year. Any photos of the bar? how busy is it? hope it is successful.

OK I will go there tomorrow agian, and will take som photos for us all to check up!! It is a really nice place, decorated by the owner "Ben" himself,,, a handyman so to speak... He and his wife have this business and work good together and that benefits us all....

Very good food and excllet alcohol.....

Glegolo

• Like 2

A friend of mine stays at a resort in Kalasin. The owner told him the first year he made good money, and then everyone was building a resort and the second year he didn't do nearly as well. He said last year he barely broke even, but he said that's okay, because I don't have a loan, all my competitors have loans, they are struggling to pay the interest. I agree with Pianoman, a crash is coming, but I have been saying that for two years now. Obviously the finance community thinks different, because the baht is holding its own, if not rising against the US dollar, where just about every other currency is falling. It use to be that when the Canadian dollar fell against the US, it didn't really bother me, because the baht did too, so the Canadian dollar stayed the same against the baht. Not this time, my spending money is drying up quickly. It makes no sense to me. My experience is that usually when it makes no sense to me, I am right and the high finance guys are wrong. So I expect a crash in the next year, it may have already started, but will take some time until the banks get affected, and then some more time before the currency gets affected. I think I will be poor for the next year or two.

Ahh, the 'get rich quick resort' scheme. Around where I live there are dozens of them, new ones pop up all the time. The most telling conversation I had was while eating at a restaurant in one of them.

The owner was bemoaning to me and my wife that it was impossible to make money, utilities, loan, competition...then without taking a breath asked me if I wanted to buy it!

• Like 1

Here comes 3 photos from the Number 1 bar in Chaiyaphum as promised!!

Glegolo

Thanks for the photos Glegolo. free wifi and pool as well.

I look forward to visiting this place later in the year when me and the Mrs go to stay in our house near Tad Ton national park. Will be a good spot to get some Falang food and a hopefully a link up with other Falang in the Chaiyaphum area.

When I first went to Chaiyaphum some 8 years ago (and bought land there with the Mrs) it was most unusual to see another white face. Now there appears to be quite a community?

To the first part of your post...

That is Thai business logic.

If someone has a good idea and starts a successful business,

Soon there will 8 or 10 copycats within one kilometer.

So many, no one business makes any money.

I can not count how many times I have seen this happen in Thailand.

Sometimes the competing businesses are side by side!

To address the second part of your post...

My money is American.

For the time being, I am feeling o.k.

But, things change in America every time they change leaders.

The next regime may turn the banks lose like GW did and destroy the economy again...

Then I will worry...again.

• Like 2

The only gossip I have heard recently, was that when HomePro´s preliminary finance report showed up regarding their Chaiyaphum branch, people around was not too exiced, and that Robinsin decided to hold as for a while. They wanted to see what happens concerning the military´s involvement in politics, and they wanted to wait and see if Chaiyaphum really can swallow all these big ones siuated here in this area.

So have no clue what regards the different shops, sorry!!

Glegolo

Ps. But we have this great bar, "Number 1 Bar" so we do not care too much really, but are of course happy if Robibnson shows up. Today at lunch it will be my weekly australian steak with Ben´s fantastic mash potatoes and his great gravy to that...... My big dilemma today... together with a glass of red wine or a nasty Leo beer??biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Glegolo

post-67253-0-49603600-1422488990_thumb.j

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 2

Sorry i have nt been on for a while, we ve been very busy with our new location, opposite the night Bazaar. Its a much nicer size with plenty of things going on outside. Thankyou to every body for joining us for Christmas Dinner and New years. On Valentines Day, Saturday the 14th we have a special candle lit dinner which consists of, Rasberry and Rum fruit punch, Avocado shrimp entree, Australian Beef Stroganoff with Tagliatelle followed by Banoffe Pie and cream. 495 bht per couple. Bookings being taken at the bar.

Ben

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Time to fresh up this thread...... Today saturday and horse-racing, and a big australian steak and mashed potatoes plus a fast baccardi-coke, at Bens Bar the so called Number 1 bar, thank God that it is here for us guys...

See you guys later...

Glegolo

Yes we have 3 working ladies, however they may not do the kind of work you mean im afraid lol

maybe they need , training , in take care of faralang , 555

good luck , i will call in for a beer , next time around .

• Like 1

Let's hope the copycats don't get to you then Ben. In my local Issan amphur town the German-run pizza bar has been pretty successful. Inevitably a Thai couple have now set up another bar which seems to also target falangs.

Luckily for the German guy the local falang community seems to be responding by doubling its intake and spending the first half of every afternoon in the Thai bar before moving on to spend the second half in the original hostelry. We falangs like to see enterprise, but with fair play!

Who will be first to open a liver repair clinic I wonder!

• Like 2

Let's hope the copycats don't get to you then Ben. In my local Issan amphur town the German-run pizza bar has been pretty successful. Inevitably a Thai couple have now set up another bar which seems to also target falangs.

Luckily for the German guy the local falang community seems to be responding by doubling its intake and spending the first half of every afternoon in the Thai bar before moving on to spend the second half in the original hostelry. We falangs like to see enterprise, but with fair play!

Who will be first to open a liver repair clinic I wonder!

Why in hell support a copy-cat thaibar who can not take care of falang-needs anyhow...

useless to go there and take money away from the real deal...

shame on some of us..... but maybe the beer is 5 baht cheaper at the thai-owned "falang-bar"???

Glegolo

• Like 1

Good assessment of this crazy boom Pianoman.

Khon Kaen is the same.

By the way you have a strange forum name?

The name "Pianoman" came from 50+ years in the Music Industry... Musican / Artist, Composer / Arranger, Producer, Consultant for various Manufactures, Retailer and Investor in multiple Music projects and Artists.... I have met Billy Joel ("The Piano Man) multiple times over the years at various Workshops, Master Classes, Round Table discussions and Industry functions, and have his writen permision to continue to use the "Pianoman" name on line as long is it is not for commercial purposes.....

Pianoman

Seeing as Mr Joel does not own the trademark for "pianoman", you don't need his permission at all, and it was not his to give.

Do you honestly think that artists trademark every song and album title?

The songs are copyrighted.

Edited by muzmurray

That was a pretty long, in depth post to just end up as an advertisement for a bar that sells pizza.

I think actually that it was just the depth that slipped you, and I think it was lost on you. I wrote that;

"you can get Pizza that is really good, you can get Australian steak, spaghetti, mashed potatoes and good sauces, irish coffe, Beer and grogg. Life is good, and all the falangs here are very happy about this."

Meaning that it is not just A bar, it is more like THE bar for us who lives here. You do not do that I can see...

Instead, plse be happy for us here...

Glegolo

• 1 month later...

Yesterday 3rd july 2016, Bens Bar here in Chaiyaphum hosted a barbque-event in the evening. In spite of being english food, it was really good, and the burgers and piotatoe.-sallad was really great!!

Thank you for a nice evening..

Glegolo

post-67253-0-08591200-1467594747_thumb.j

post-67253-0-39249900-1467594767_thumb.j

• Like 2