Chaiyaphum, new center in Isaan, finally a bar!

glegolo

If you moved to Issan expecting to hang out with farangs in a farang bar,

I guess you deserved the eight year wait

I didn't come to Issan to see frangs.

I would have lived in southern ( Bangkok and below ) if I wanted more "farang in my life.

When I want a bar, Thai bars are just fine with me.

I am glad you have found a place you feel comfortable in.

But personally, the more farangs and farang style business that come to Issan, the less it feels like Issan to me.

Cheers!

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

That was a pretty long, in depth post to just end up as an advertisement for a bar that sells pizza.

I think actually that it was just the depth that slipped you, and I think it was lost on you. I wrote that;

"you can get Pizza that is really good, you can get Australian steak, spaghetti, mashed potatoes and good sauces, irish coffe, Beer and grogg. Life is good, and all the falangs here are very happy about this."

Meaning that it is not just A bar, it is more like THE bar for us who lives here. You do not do that I can see...

Instead, plse be happy for us here...

Glegolo

I do understand.

What you are saying is that you now have your farang oasis in the Issan desert..

and I am happy for you.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ben the bar-owner of Number 1 bar in Chaiyaphum is today definately very happy now, when he did found out that it is definately settled that the new Immigration-office will materialize here.

This will means that a huge crowd of falangs, living in the provins of Chaiyaphum, have to come to the immigration and do their thing, and they also can find a reason to come to Number 1 bar in Chaiyaphum, and eat a steak, or drink a beer, or a gin and tonic, and as in my case, a big big Baccardi-coke....

Glegolo

L1023286.JPG

L1023290.JPG

L1023291.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/4/2016 at 8:26 AM, willyumiii said:

If you moved to Issan expecting to hang out with farangs in a farang bar,

I guess you deserved the eight year wait

I didn't come to Issan to see frangs.

I would have lived in southern ( Bangkok and below ) if I wanted more "farang in my life.

When I want a bar, Thai bars are just fine with me.

I am glad you have found a place you feel comfortable in.

But personally, the more farangs and farang style business that come to Issan, the less it feels like Issan to me.

Cheers!

Absolutely! 

• 4 months later...

We had a great christmas-eve, 15 falangs with wifes at Beens Bar in Chaiyaphum. 1 german, 3 finnish, and 1 canadian, together with 10 swedish guys... In the bar there were some 10-12 englishmen as well occupying the bar-stoles....

We had somehwat a dutch christmas dinner, which was heavily successful, and everybody was more than full foodwise, and later also full alcohol-wise.

So all in all,, a fantastic evening, and we will for certain do this next year again.

Happy new year to all of you...

Glegolo

On 5/21/2016 at 6:24 PM, glegolo said:

Why in hell support a copy-cat thaibar who can not take care of falang-needs anyhow...

useless to go there and take money away from the real deal...

shame on some of us..... but maybe the beer is 5 baht cheaper at the thai-owned "falang-bar"???

Glegolo

Just seen the response to my posting last year re the growth of bar choices in another Isaan town

Well we did support the new Thai-run falang bar and both bars continue to thrive. Predictable/understandable but incorrect assumption Glegolo, that Thais cannot provide 'real deal' services to falang. The food at the Thai bar (Black Dog Bar) is great - the lady of the owning couple is an ex chef/cook from one of the Bangkok 4 or 5 star hotels and does the best goulash soup I ever tasted, plus many of the other foreigner favourites you might expect done to a good standard. Thai food is superior to the competition so I don't feel less inclined to bring the family. The owning couple are bright enough not to try to take on Pizza-4-U's wood-fired excellent pizzas which still attracts a decent crowd at the other bar. Black Dog also introduced a pool table (only one in a proper bar in Sisaket province?) and lately a Sunday roast option which apparently is also great. The beer choice is also wider, so I can pop in for a couple of Beer Lao darks. A couple of times a week for an hour or two is enough to top up on banter/gossip for me but I guess it would gravitate to much more if I lived within walking distance!

Afternoon (from 1pm though both bars start a little earlier than that) and early evening sees an average combined 'crowd' of 10-20. Not bad for a shit-kicker amphur town of about 5,000 souls - there are quite a lot of falangs kicking around southern Sisaket so it draws from a wider population. Kantaralak's two bars are actually better populated than the combined total of the regional centre of Ubon by a country mile- until about 7pm when country-folk move homewards and city folk move barwards!

Like you Glegolo I thought that a copy-cat bar would divide and rule the market so that we would be worse off in the medium and long term. Happily that does not seem to have happened (though there are threats to the original that are more attributable to owners' personal plans than the customer base.

Like Willymui I didn't come here to spend all my time in falang bars but I don't share the oft-stated desire to avoid contact with those who have similar background and culture. Love Thai/Isaan food, but at about the 5 year point I found that I needed to have a break from 100% spice!

2 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Just seen the response to my posting last year re the growth of bar choices in another Isaan town

Well we did support the new Thai-run falang bar and both bars continue to thrive. Predictable/understandable but incorrect assumption Glegolo, that Thais cannot provide 'real deal' services to falang. The food at the Thai bar (Black Dog Bar) is great - the lady of the owning couple is an ex chef/cook from one of the Bangkok 4 or 5 star hotels and does the best goulash soup I ever tasted, plus many of the other foreigner favourites you might expect done to a good standard. Thai food is superior to the competition so I don't feel less inclined to bring the family. The owning couple are bright enough not to try to take on Pizza-4-U's wood-fired excellent pizzas which still attracts a decent crowd at the other bar. Black Dog also introduced a pool table (only one in a proper bar in Sisaket province?) and lately a Sunday roast option which apparently is also great. The beer choice is also wider, so I can pop in for a couple of Beer Lao darks. A couple of times a week for an hour or two is enough to top up on banter/gossip for me but I guess it would gravitate to much more if I lived within walking distance!

Afternoon (from 1pm though both bars start a little earlier than that) and early evening sees an average combined 'crowd' of 10-20. Not bad for a shit-kicker amphur town of about 5,000 souls - there are quite a lot of falangs kicking around southern Sisaket so it draws from a wider population. Kantaralak's two bars are actually better populated than the combined total of the regional centre of Ubon by a country mile- until about 7pm when country-folk move homewards and city folk move barwards!

Like you Glegolo I thought that a copy-cat bar would divide and rule the market so that we would be worse off in the medium and long term. Happily that does not seem to have happened (though there are threats to the original that are more attributable to owners' personal plans than the customer base.

Like Willymui I didn't come here to spend all my time in falang bars but I don't share the oft-stated desire to avoid contact with those who have similar background and culture. Love Thai/Isaan food, but at about the 5 year point I found that I needed to have a break from 100% spice!

OK I get what you say and mean. No problem I agree with you...

Glegolo

• 4 months later...

I heard from a man saying that "he have heard" that our great Bar in Chaiyaphum... is not open any more... This is complete nonsens,,, and this is being spread by a specific person out of mallice only..

I was there yesterday, had my usual australian steak, with mashed potatoes red wine and a great company of the guys there,,,,, so all good in "Sherwood forest"...

Glegolo

• 3 months later...

Was at Bar number 1 - Bens Bar in Chaiyaphum, and had a fantastic good beef-steak with fried potatoes sallad and a glas of red wine.

Thanks for being there for us guys missing falangfood and real alcohol otherwise....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds like Ben (the Australian) who had a bar in Chum Phae before?

A loss that he moved away,

Yes and no.... Ben is definately an englishman, and yes he was the guy that had that bar in Chum Phae..

and Yes loss for you, and gain for us in Chaiyaphum. Great place.... We will be 15 scandinavian/english/german/canadian families, meeting and celebrating christmas att christmas eve followed surley by some 60-80 guys who celebrate wrongly the 25th....

Glegolo

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...