Thailand's "gay-friendly" image is superficial ...

Jingthing

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In many restaurants i sense almost the whole male staff are gay. A lot of 7elevens seem to employ a high percentage of gays. The both nearest 7elevens close to my condo has/had a transvestite in their staff. I have never seen any thai care about it. In my gym, "half" the thai boys are gay, it took me 1,5 year to understand. I didnt have a clue. The gays and heteros mingle with each other. No one cares.

Low level jobs.

True.

I have first hand knowledge about a ladyboy that is the project manager for a online advertisement firm that has many of Thailands biggest companies as clients. But she is just one person. People like her are exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...

Low level jobs.

Low level job because of low level family surname.

Jeez, you dont have a effin clue, come up to Bkk and see how the GLBT people there live.

What has surname got to do with it? I don't see any reference to surname in @jingthing's post.

• 1 month later...

From my 8 years living in Thailand with my Thai bf/husband, I have seen a wide range of reactions. My husband's parents are from China and he is not out to anyone in his family (he is in his mid-40's); however, all his co-workers know and his classmates from university also. I have western friends who are accepted by their partners families and others who have never met the parner's families.

My biggest concern is that there are so few positive role-models in Movies, TV, elected-office. I feel that if there were more visible positive LGBT people - then I believe Thai society would come to be more accepting and not just tolerant.

After 9 years I have never met a Thai person who ever had any problems with their family for being gay (apart from some Bangkok Chinese families). Whereas back in Australia a majority of gay people have either been rejected and expelled from their families or at least had issues in the beginning. I know ladyboys and lesbians can have extra challenges but I am just referring to gay males here. The only issues I have heard are some families where dating a farang is taboo, but being gay isn't the issue.

Thailand may not be politically correct or as open to the idea of 'equality' but Thailand is a hero archival society and the idea of equality in general isn't really popular. But the hostility and violence towards gays as seen in the west seems to be absent. I don't see a need to be accepted as everybody has a right to feel however they want. Just to feel relatively safe from homophobic violence is nice enough. Even holding hands, which is certainly frowned upon here for gay or straight, is a lot safer than in the west.

Ace of Pop I don't entirely agree with you message but I think it does touch on a little bit of why this is an issue in the first place. Activist types will always complain but in Thailand I and my friends are left alone and that's all we want. No need to always turn everything into an 'issue'.

Ace of Pop I don't entirely agree with you message but I think it does touch on a little bit of why this is an issue in the first place. Activist types will always complain but in Thailand I and my friends are left alone and that's all we want. No need to always turn everything into an 'issue'.

Thats My Point, I have no issue with Gay Folks Male or Female. I do dislike saying "i have many gay friends", as if its some kind of prerequisite to entering a gay forum as a non.That said my gay friends take the same line as me. Stop Bleating. Its as boring as a Golfer playing his Air Club, the new Car Guy, or my Oversexed Hetero Mates going on about last nights rent a ride from Soi 6.Especially now im to old to care less.Memories.cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

This straight pride BS is totally off topic.

Posting that graphic was an unadulterated TROLL move.

Nothing to do with this thread.

We've had Straight Pride parades in the world, they are almost always organized by rabid anti-gay political forces like in places with governments that MURDER gay people.

Dudes, not every thread on the gay forum is an invitation to let hostility towards Gay Pride or gay civil rights activists loose.

I did start this thread so I know the topic.

It is about discussion of whether Thailand's gay friendly image is only superficial, or is deeper.

If you don't have comments about that topic, please don't post on THIS thread.

Especially the same old anti-gay attacks promoting Straight Pride that have infected this forum for years.

Thank you.

If You think that your Wrong. You may think you are a Mod, but You Aint. Alex replied nicely, dont get emotive dear.It just weakens the balance. Thais are no more tolerant than any other race.Having just come from a Gay Funeral,you could annoy me....Troll Post . Bo..ocs.sad.png

If You think that your Wrong. You may think you are a Mod, but You Aint. Alex replied nicely, dont get emotive dear.It just weakens the balance. Thais are no more tolerant than any other race.Having just come from a Gay Funeral,you could annoy me....Troll Post . Bo..ocs.sad.png

No.

I do not think I am a mod.

But your Straight Pride graphic was indeed a blatant trollish and off topic provocation having nothing to do with THIS thread's topic and as I did start the topic, if you are going to post troll posts like that, you should expect pushback.

The fact that some other gay persons condone such trollish tactics does not concern me. I was addressing you.

To add suppose there was a Black person's forum for topics about a minority black community in some country and someone posted a WHITE POWER graphic on a thread there having nothing to do with the topic or forum. People would rationally see that as a trollish attack with bigoted racist intentions. Same thing here.

I don't care if you have 1000 imaginary gay friends and go to 1000 imaginary gay funerals, I know what you did on this thread ... it was an anti-gay attack veiled with Straight Pride BS, simple and clear.

Let the Reasonable Gay Community here decide about my post. Rather a Vitriolic attack on me. Sounds about as bad as an Anti Gay Tirades that im so against. But then you are a Yank who by nature over analyzes everything. and need Meds for everything.biggrin.png

Let the Reasonable Gay Community here decide about my post. Rather a Vitriolic attack on me. Sounds about as bad as an Anti Gay Tirades that im so against. But then you are a Yank who by nature over analyzes everything. and need Meds for everything.biggrin.png

Better people post about the actual topic (see the OP) than get sucked into playing into your troll game of hijacking this thread with your Straight Pride crapola which is a tactic seen so many times by similar provocateurs on this forum over the years.

To encourage that, I will now post the original topic again:

Thailand's "gay-friendly" image is superficial ...

Yes, I agree.

It is.

Nobody is saying its nearly as bad as Iran, Russia, or Uganda.

But there is plenty of room for improvement.

Among Thais between 15 and 24 years old, 56 per cent think homosexuality is wrong, according to recent research by Khon Thai Foundation, a non-profit organization.

By comparison, more than 70 per cent of young people in Japan, South Korea, the Philippines and western European countries think that homosexuality should be accepted by society at large, according to the Pew Research Center, an American think-tank.

In a country where nearly 95 per cent of people are Buddhists, some believe that gay or transgender people suffer from bad karma for committing adultery in their past lives.

"I find it surprising that Thailand, being one of the most gay-friendly countries [for foreigners], does not have laws that support and protect the LGBT community," said L'Estrange, an Irish-American who has lived in Thailand for almost 10 years.

http://www.khaosoden...=14&typecate=06

Of course, many would say A LOT about Thailand is superficial, but that's another story.

Actually this topic reminds me somewhat of another active topic here, the controversy over the Thai tourism graphic showing what is behind the happy stuff that tourists see.

I can easily imagine a gay related addition to that satirical cartoon.

Perception of gay tolerance levels here is the same kind of thing in this county of unusually great SUPERFICIALITY.

The levels of tolerance are not nearly as bad as many countries, but not nearly as good as many people think based on superficial clues.

post-37101-0-28711900-1429784016_thumb.j

I think the thing is when making comparisons. The west itself is actually very superficial in terms of gay friendliness. In the west popular culture and political correctness means that people 'support gay rights' in public because they know they will be ostracised if they show their true opinion. Behind the western facade of gay friendliness is an underlying aggressive hostility and a lot of hatred or at least discomfort in regards to gays. Both Thailand and the west have a superficial facade but I would take thaoland's tolerance (even if it is not genuine acceptance) rather than the west having a gay friendly popular culture and stifling of any disagreement on the matter. Gay bashing is still common throughout the west, even in places like Amsterdam. And people being disowned from their families for being gay is also very common in the west. Pride parades and 'glbt equality' mask a lot of the reality of life in the west.

Gay pride style outness is in many ways considered offensive in Thailand due to a culture that emphasises modesty, and the concept of equality isn't necessarily accepted in Thailand as Thailand is a hierarchical society where equality is a very unpopular concept in general. I respect this culture and if they leave me alone and my gay thai friends are fine with it then I don't see the problem.

I also understand that ladyboys are discriminated against, largely for the reasons mentioned above. However I can't think of any country that tolerates trans people more than Thailand.

The west tries to push the political correctness agenda all through the world and in many ways causes more homophobia as non western countries perceive the gay rights movement as some kind of western imperialist propaganda. Sometimes it does more harm than good.

Muslims are a significant minority in Thailand.

Christians even smaller.

I wonder what it's like for Thai Muslims and Thai Christians compared to Thai Buddhists.

Thailand isn't just one thing.

I think there might be consensus that Thai Chinese families in general are more conservative on these matters than Buddhist Thais who don't identify that way. More likely to be closet issues, beard marriages, etc. Personally I think if someone feels strong social pressure to marry a woman when you're actually gay is experiencing a bad kind of oppression.

Thai Muslims and Thai Christians are a different case than the majority of Thais who are Buddhist. They are minorities and special cases. Those issues are more to do with the oppressive nature of abrahamic religions than Thai culture, which is a Buddhist culture.

The west tries to push the political correctness agenda all through the world and in many ways causes more homophobia as non western countries perceive the gay rights movement as some kind of western imperialist propaganda. Sometimes it does more harm than good.

I find your comment funny. You do realize there is such a thing as political correctness in Thailand that has NOTHING to do with Western concepts like that. Sometimes called "Thainess" being actively pushed by the current government.

Thai Muslims and Thai Christians are a different case than the majority of Thais who are Buddhist. They are minorities and special cases. Those issues are more to do with the oppressive nature of abrahamic religions than Thai culture, which is a Buddhist culture.

But they are Thais too and some of them are sexual minorities.

You certainly can't play that cop out with those Thais who are from more conservative Thai Chinese families. Their numbers are huge.

Archived