Drones fitted with cameras to be banned in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

It's not a blanket ban. Mass media organisations and those making films can still use them. The report says they can also be used for educational, sport and research purposes.

Plenty of opportunities there. It's sensible to weed out irresponsible users who just want to play video games in the sky.

For me that is not a saving grace, it's taking the proverbial dump on the people (AKA the public) that has dedicated their time to develop this machines.

I've been doing this for a long time and all the major developments have come from individuals pursuing a hobby, now bigger organizations take the technology and slam the door on the face of people that made things possible.

Personally I've spent the last year developing a "drone" to use in wildlife conservation efforts, volunteering both time and money into the project. Now I see that I could end up fined or jailed for my efforts. Thanks a bunch, Khun Prajin.

I've tried to come up with any example of criminalizing technology and I can't come up with any, at least not anything not made with clear criminal intent, like a credit card scanner or the like.

Using things like threats to privacy and national security is just malarkey, there are plenty of other technologies that are much more capable of having an impact on that (oh... I don't know, like the Internet?) and nobody in their right mind is pushing for a ban on them.

• Like 2

Google 'countries banning drones'. India has banned all. In the U.S. a number of states are passing their own restrictions. Spain has banned commercial use, and a long list of others pending or being considered.

And what is this supposed to tell us? That just because several states are doing it, it's the right thing to do? Sorry, but the popularity of a thing is unrelated to its correctness.

It is supposed to tell you that Thailand isn't the first, or the only. I didn't say anything about the right thing to do or the correctness.

• Like 1

"The first, relates to drones used for education, sport and research purposes or on occasions which will help to aid the development of the country."

In other words: "We can use drones to spy on private citizens performing legal activities, but they can't use drones to expose our nefarious acts."whistling.gif

Yup, I think that pretty much sums it up. One has to wonder what worries them so much.

Just another draconian measure brought to you by your friendly junta.

It would be nice to think that Thailand is ahead of the regulation curve because it understands the problem, done the research, considered the alternatives and made a decision.

Fact is, they don't understand it, don't know how to police it...so lets just ban it.

Pretty sure they heard that a drone dropped drugs into a prison and that's the depth of their "logic".

Catch me if you can.

Not surprising. Bans like these will appear in many countries. Ever heard about right to privacy? Military installations?

Why bother you can buy better quality quickbird images if you wanted. Otherwise if your really wanting photos of the ground, a stereoscopic camera, plane and crew can be hired.

It's not a blanket ban. Mass media organisations and those making films can still use them. The report says they can also be used for educational, sport and research purposes.

Plenty of opportunities there. It's sensible to weed out irresponsible users who just want to play video games in the sky.

For me that is not a saving grace, it's taking the proverbial dump on the people (AKA the public) that has dedicated their time to develop this machines.

I've been doing this for a long time and all the major developments have come from individuals pursuing a hobby, now bigger organizations take the technology and slam the door on the face of people that made things possible.

Personally I've spent the last year developing a "drone" to use in wildlife conservation efforts, volunteering both time and money into the project. Now I see that I could end up fined or jailed for my efforts. Thanks a bunch, Khun Prajin.

I've tried to come up with any example of criminalizing technology and I can't come up with any, at least not anything not made with clear criminal intent, like a credit card scanner or the like.

Using things like threats to privacy and national security is just malarkey, there are plenty of other technologies that are much more capable of having an impact on that (oh... I don't know, like the Internet?) and nobody in their right mind is pushing for a ban on them.

Your doing it wrong, position the vehicle into a use case for the military or some department of the civil service, over charge for it, make money, Then with your connections enjoy impunity to fly it personally.

Prisoner 1: what are you in for?

Prisoner 2: murder, you?

Prisoner 1: I flew a drone with a camera on it.

Prisoner 2: you baastard.

It's almost so stupid it's not funny. By all means restrict where they can be flown, ie airports and the neighbours yard etc But this is nonsense & she be treated as such. Idiots in government.

• Like 1

This is all about hiding what the rich and privileged do away from the eyes of the masses as the gulf between rich and poor expands exponentially.

I know quite a few poor Thais, and some reasonably well off. Not one owns a drone, or has expressed interest in owning a drone. So I find it hard to see how banning a rich man's toy constitutes oppression of the masses.

Edited by halloween

Drones are very affordable now. I wouldn't exactly call them a rich man's toy. I know quite a few people who'd love to have one, but now they'll most likely be frightened off now.

All this will do is create a black market for drones and raise their prices so that only the rich and well-connected will be able to have them. They weren't a "rich man's toy" before, but they will be now.