Small Thai schools to be merged instead of shut down

webfact

Small schools to be merged instead of shut down
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry has decided to merge hundreds of small schools in the country instead of shutting them down, Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) secretary-general Kamol Rodklai said yesterday.

"This plan to merge schools will only stay in place until each school can operate efficiently on its own."

He was speaking after holding a discussion with the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) committee on education and sports. "The NLA has also agreed with this approach," he said.

Kamol added that Obec would also ask local administrative bodies to help provide transportation to students if their schools after merging are farther.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Small-schools-to-be-merged-instead-of-shut-down-30252696.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-27

Merged? So let me see if I have got this correct.

2 schools "merge"

Then operate from 1 location.

Help with transport provided, if location is further away.

So what happens at the other location?

Is that location, now CLOSED?

Exactly what I was thinking. One of them still gets shut down. I wonder if the public will be gullible enough to fall for this no so clever rewording?

• Like 1

And I was also thinking like the above members. But, after giving it another thought, maybe the merging could result in combining, say, grades 1 through 3 in one school building, and grades 4, 5, and 6 in the other. Both schools remain open, but each has greater efficiency with combining classes.

If there are only a half dozen (or even fewer) kids in one grade in the old schools, combining classes would be good, up to a point. I knew of a school that had only 2 kids in the 5th grade. That was many years ago, and today that school is closed. Most rural neighborhoods don't have 30 or more kids all the same age. And if there were larger classes like that, I'd think that those schools would not be among the ones being considered for the combining scheme.

Over all, not a bad idea, I'd say.

Fair point, well made.

And I was also thinking like the above members. But, after giving it another thought, maybe the merging could result in combining, say, grades 1 through 3 in one school building, and grades 4, 5, and 6 in the other. Both schools remain open, but each has greater efficiency with combining classes.

If there are only a half dozen (or even fewer) kids in one grade in the old schools, combining classes would be good, up to a point. I knew of a school that had only 2 kids in the 5th grade. That was many years ago, and today that school is closed. Most rural neighborhoods don't have 30 or more kids all the same age. And if there were larger classes like that, I'd think that those schools would not be among the ones being considered for the combining scheme.

Over all, not a bad idea, I'd say.

Fair point, well made.

Logical and well thought through. But TiT care to place a bet?

Still - lots more scope for 4 kids on a motorcycle, or 12 on a tuktuk, or 26 in the back of a pickup travelling to school further away...

• Like 1