Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Well lads a few points from last night, as has already been discussed, why does he persist with Lennon on the left, he is not an inverted winger and i was actually hoping that he would replace him and not minding that it was Sig who has more of an idea in that role and didn't do too bad when he come on.

Thought it strange that he took off Sandro (perhaps tiring) when he must have known that Everton were going to come onto us in the 20 mins, in the end it didn't really matter due to the defence playing so well.

Whats happened to Dawson ? more composed, not making silly mistakes, has probaly gone up 2 levels and to be fair he had Lukalu in his pocket last night !

Obviously we are still not creating enough chances in the box although i thought our play in other areas was alot better but hopefully as he integrates the new players in the team that will improve, was always going to be a big ask to start playing 7 new players and expect them to play a fluent style straight away but to be honest while we are conceding so few goals then we aren't in a real hurry.

Footnote : i still think top 8 is within our grasp for this season thumbsup.gif

Footnote; I have to say that AVB, bar a few baffling selection decisions is doing a fine job. Assimilating a new team, one that has seven new players, two long term injuries and a loanee returning is not easy but he's doing it in entirely the right way. Keeping it tight at the back. Third after ten league games, easily through to the europa knockout and still in the other cup…what more do our minority whiners want, because the goals will come soon enough. Once the link up play improves the tempo quickens up and then its just a case of being more clinical.

Any Spurs fans that aren't happy with the season so far have their heads firmly stuck up their arse

• Like 1

I can't agree with your acknowledgement of letting Lloris play on. It was a reckless decision at best, some might say stupid. At times like this it is the managers duty to do what is best for the player, and that would be to come off.

I thought Lukaku looked terrible, very slow and never looking to chase the ball. Very lazy. Dawson giving Lukaku a bolloxing after the injury was a bit uncalled for. You could see there was no intent and Lukaku knew he hurt him straight away and motioned to the bench.

Edited by mjj

Well lads a few points from last night, as has already been discussed, why does he persist with Lennon on the left, he is not an inverted winger and i was actually hoping that he would replace him and not minding that it was Sig who has more of an idea in that role and didn't do too bad when he come on.

Thought it strange that he took off Sandro (perhaps tiring) when he must have known that Everton were going to come onto us in the 20 mins, in the end it didn't really matter due to the defence playing so well.

Whats happened to Dawson ? more composed, not making silly mistakes, has probaly gone up 2 levels and to be fair he had Lukalu in his pocket last night !

Obviously we are still not creating enough chances in the box although i thought our play in other areas was alot better but hopefully as he integrates the new players in the team that will improve, was always going to be a big ask to start playing 7 new players and expect them to play a fluent style straight away but to be honest while we are conceding so few goals then we aren't in a real hurry.

Footnote : i still think top 8 is within our grasp for this season thumbsup.gif

Footnote; I have to say that AVB, bar a few baffling selection decisions is doing a fine job. Assimilating a new team, one that has seven new players, two long term injuries and a loanee returning is not easy but he's doing it in entirely the right way. Keeping it tight at the back. Third after ten league games, easily through to the europa knockout and still in the other cup…what more do our minority whiners want, because the goals will come soon enough. Once the link up play improves the tempo quickens up and then its just a case of being more clinical.

Any Spurs fans that aren't happy with the season so far have their heads firmly stuck up their arse

AVB is doing well and so are Spurs. However, it would appear that he could have done the same job (maybe better), without spending that extra 60 million. Roma have 31 points from 11 games and not exactly missing Lamela.

Spurs interested in Pato from Corinthians ? I saw a blurb on that but have no idea if there's any truth to it. He was pretty much a wash out with Milan, though he did have some injuries.

Too soon to tell about Spurs, eh ? It goes without saying that games similar to last night were often won last year by last minute Bale rockets. So this inability to break down the opposition certainly is nothing new for AVB. Despite being 4th you would have to think he is beginning to get a bit antsy. If Spurs continue to play very good defense you would think AVB might consider throwing Lamela in more regularly. If he gets him going he might be the part of the answer to Spurs scoring woes. I don't see where AVB has a lot to lose by giving Lamela more time. He's a creative player who can score. coffee1.gif

Spurs interested in Pato from Corinthians ? I saw a blurb on that but have no idea if there's any truth to it. He was pretty much a wash out with Milan, though he did have some injuries.

Too soon to tell about Spurs, eh ? It goes without saying that games similar to last night were often won last year by last minute Bale rockets. So this inability to break down the opposition certainly is nothing new for AVB. Despite being 4th you would have to think he is beginning to get a bit antsy. If Spurs continue to play very good defense you would think AVB might consider throwing Lamela in more regularly. If he gets him going he might be the part of the answer to Spurs scoring woes. I don't see where AVB has a lot to lose by giving Lamela more time. He's a creative player who can score. coffee1.gif

I agree, it's not as if Spurs are scoring by the bucket load or creating that many scoring opportunities. They need something and not playing a 30 mil player who was supposed to set the premier league on fire, just because Townsend has come good doesn't make sense to me. What is AVB waiting for, Townsend to go off form? By that time Lamela will have lost all confidence, if he hasn't done so already.

Edited by uptheos

Only watched the final part of the game but agree with the comments regarding Lloris. Think it was a little bit risky keeping him on. The physio said straight away he can't continue, surely for his own safety it should have been taken out of his hands and the change made.

I agree, it's not as if Spurs are scoring by the bucket load or creating that many scoring opportunities. They need something and not playing a 30 mil player who was supposed to set the premier league on fire, just because Townsend has come good doesn't make sense to me. What is AVB waiting for, Townsend to go off form? By that time Lamela will have lost all confidence, if he hasn't done so already.

For the record, Spurs lost this match last season 2-1, so getting something out of this game was an improvement.

Lamela played 120 minutes on Wednesday against Hull, he didn't play that well and showed a lack of confidence

when he came up to take his penalty and was the only Spurs player that missed.

It's obvious that AVB is only playing him in the cup games to try and build up his confidence and that will give him

at least one game a week with the chance to play more in December when we have 10 games in 31 days.

Smokie, are you still excited by Soldado? I hear his youtube clips are fantastic......hehehe.

Dodgy decision by AVB to let Lloris continue.

Be fair, he needs the ball before he can have a pop at goal, how many games did Torres have before he started to come good? wink.png

So is it time to question AVB's tactics??

Torres was broken before we got him............

Yes, at least the tactics for the creative/attacking part of the game should be questioned, otherwise we'd have 30 points smile.png

To be honest I prefer this style to the one of years gone by ( Scoring a bunch but conceding heavily, especially in the last quarter of the game)

And an away draw to Everton is not to be sniffed at...

Edited by chonabot

For the record, Spurs lost this match last season 2-1, so getting something out of this game was an improvement.

Lamela played 120 minutes on Wednesday against Hull, he didn't play that well and showed a lack of confidence

It's obvious that AVB is only playing him in the cup games to try and build up his confidence and that will give him

at least one game a week with the chance to play more in December when we have 10 games in 31 days.

If he's good enough to pay 30 million for and play for Argentina, he shouldn't need confidence building. I bet he's wishing he was back with his star studded mates at Roma. I'm sure he's more experienced than that young lad at Old Trafford, but he got thrown in and took his chance. I think AVB is way too cautious. Oh and please don't tell me 'he's one for the future', his future was happening big time, but it's ground to a halt at WHL.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Good post mate but lost on here amongst visitors that think you assimilate a new team in three months. biggrin.png It seems people are finding it very irritating that we are in the top four nonetheless.

Lamela will come good but its going to take time. We have to trust our manager and frankly, if United fans are prepared to trust David Moyes then i hardly think its too much to ask for our fans to trust Villas-Boas.

• Like 1

Smokie, are you still excited by Soldado? I hear his youtube clips are fantastic......hehehe.

Dodgy decision by AVB to let Lloris continue.

Be fair, he needs the ball before he can have a pop at goal, how many games did Torres have before he started to come good? wink.png

So is it time to question AVB's tactics??

Torres was broken before we got him............

Yes, at least the tactics for the creative/attacking part of the game should be questioned, otherwise we'd have 30 points smile.png

To be honest I prefer this style to the one of years gone by ( Scoring a bunch but conceding heavily, especially in the last quarter of the game)

And an away draw to Everton is not to be sniffed at...

When you see how many chances we've created this season in the league, 133 i think. it tells me theres little wrong with the tactics. Its just poor finishing and our striker getting isolated and ineffective. It'll happen but as i have said from the off, judge us after christmas. Well thats those of you that have a clue and not the clowns that think we should have been a settled unit by the end of october. Absolute muppets. Were doing well, so far so very good.

• Like 1

Lukaku's clash with Lloris was an accident but Soldado deserved to see red for deliberate elbow on Jagielka

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486796/GRAHAM-POLL-Romelu-Lukaku-blameless-clash-Hugo-Lloris.html

Fair play to you mate. Most people don't own up to reading the Daily Mail!biggrin.png

It's Graham Poll's view for what it's worth and you know Soldado gave him one.1zgarz5.gif

Be interesting to see if the FA review it and what will you do without your prolific goalscorer. wink.png

Edited by uptheos

Lukaku's clash with Lloris was an accident but Soldado deserved to see red for deliberate elbow on Jagielka

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486796/GRAHAM-POLL-Romelu-Lukaku-blameless-clash-Hugo-Lloris.html

Fair play to you mate. Most people don't own up to reading the Daily Mail!biggrin.png

It's Graham Poll's view for what it's worth and you know Soldado gave him one.1zgarz5.gif

Be interesting to see if the FA review it and what will you do without your prolific goalscorer. wink.png

Didn't the FA make some kind of a statement just a couple of weeks ago that implied gauging was ok?

Do you have something against Spurs by any chance or just after a niggle?wink.png

When you see how many chances we've created this season in the league, 133 i think. it tells me theres little wrong with the tactics. Its just poor finishing and our striker getting isolated and ineffective. It'll happen but as i have said from the off, judge us after christmas. Well thats those of you that have a clue and not the clowns that think we should have been a settled unit by the end of october. Absolute muppets. Were doing well, so far so very good.

I'm with you, but I also think that finding out who the best finishers are and switching the formation to negate isolated striking scenarios comes under the tactical umbrella.

And you're also correct to say that this will come with time and not over 10 games.

I firmly believe that the 2014-15 season is going to be very interesting indeed, and this one could well surprise a lot of people.

Edited by chonabot

Didn't the FA make some kind of a statement just a couple of weeks ago that implied gauging was ok?

Do you have something against Spurs by any chance or just after a niggle?wink.png

Yep, I usually watch all Spurs games as a neutral and wanted to see some fireworks from them. I guess I feel a bit disappointed at what I'm seeing, but of course it's different with supporters. Thankfully, their games seem to be early or Sunday at the moment so I don't have to think too hard what to watch, but it's getting to be a bit painful TBH. If they're not careful they'll lose me as a SEA viewer. laugh.png A niggle helps to liven the day up too.

Edited by uptheos

Only watched the final part of the game but agree with the comments regarding Lloris. Think it was a little bit risky keeping him on. The physio said straight away he can't continue, surely for his own safety it should have been taken out of his hands and the change made.

Its accepted through the world wide medical fraternity that any person who loses conciousness, albeit for a short time will leave the field of play, not return, then undergo tests Even in the more physical sports like Rugby Union and Rugby League that player takes a 3 week playing break. Its done for a reason which is well documented in relation to brain injury.

For AVB to over rule the club Dr and let Lloris play on was sheer negligence and stupid.Then for AVB to waffle on and say the Lloris showed "great courage and personality" is nonsense, the player said he doesn't remember the incident ,what does that tell you ?

Pretty ordinary game and not helped by a referee who seems to want to hold an enquiry and argue with players in every single incident when he should be getting on with the game

Look there is no denying that we played some terrific football under Redknapp. It was great to watch. AVB's style is very different and is never going to be as fast and fun to watch as we were three years ago. AVB's game is based on results. High line, hold possession, press high up, quick short passing, look for openings. Its a different style to Redknapps and not as exciting to watch. But, when certain players build up an understanding that they are working on and other players settle were going to become a very efficient machine thats going to be tight at the back and very clinical up top.

I'm a big fan of AVB because i've seen us play some lovely football over the years and then get rolled over. Now i want a team that wins something and thats the route AVB is taking us down. And frankly, i wish all those idiots that were booing should have their season tickets confiscated, money refunded and told to do one.

• Like 2

Its accepted through the world wide medical fraternity that any person who loses conciousness, albeit for a short time will leave the field of play, not return, then undergo tests Even in the more physical sports like Rugby Union and Rugby League that player takes a 3 week playing break. Its done for a reason which is well documented in relation to brain injury.

For AVB to over rule the club Dr and let Lloris play on was sheer negligence and stupid.Then for AVB to waffle on and say the Lloris showed "great courage and personality" is nonsense, the player said he doesn't remember the incident ,what does that tell you ?

Pretty ordinary game and not helped by a referee who seems to want to hold an enquiry and argue with players in every single incident when he should be getting on with the game

Ever watched a game of rugby?

Look there is no denying that we played some terrific football under Redknapp. It was great to watch. AVB's style is very different and is never going to be as fast and fun to watch as we were three years ago. AVB's game is based on results. High line, hold possession, press high up, quick short passing, look for openings. Its a different style to Redknapps and not as exciting to watch. But, when certain players build up an understanding that they are working on and other players settle were going to become a very efficient machine thats going to be tight at the back and very clinical up top.

I'm a big fan of AVB because i've seen us play some lovely football over the years and then get rolled over. Now i want a team that wins something and thats the route AVB is taking us down. And frankly, i wish all those idiots that were booing should have their season tickets confiscated, money refunded and told to do one.

I wouldn't boo if I were a supporter, you need to get behind the manager even if he's made some dodgy signings.

I agree that you will be extremely tight at the back, but clinical up top? Which clinicians or what did you have in mind?

Compare Wenger's reaction when Flamini took a head bang. Took him off and dropped him for the next game. "It's out of my hands - the medical staff have told me and I take their guidance".

Possible though that Loris did not have any double vision, so medical staff were less dogmatic for a reason.

I wouldn't boo if I were a supporter, you need to get behind the manager even if he's made some dodgy signings.

I agree that you will be extremely tight at the back, but clinical up top? Which clinicians or what did you have in mind?

Soldado used to be until he came to play for us!! Just for the record i too thought he was very poor yesterday and didn't look that interested. Am i alone in thinking he should have been on the end of that cross from the right in the second half? Instead he was pouncing about in no man's land.

The two selections that i am most unhappy about is Lennon playing on the left, and at all for that matter and Holtby starting over Eriksen. The understanding between Soldado and Eriksen is key to us. I would also try out Townsend on the left and give Lamela a crack on his chosen right wing position. We'd have the speed of Rose and Townsend left, Walker down the right when Lamela cuts in.

Compare Wenger's reaction when Flamini took a head bang. Took him off and dropped him for the next game. "It's out of my hands - the medical staff have told me and I take their guidance".

Possible though that Loris did not have any double vision, so medical staff were less dogmatic for a reason.

Don't forget Wenger's a very experienced manager and one of the top IMO. AVB has a lot to learn, but this decision could have been made by a ten year old. Maybe Lloris didn't have double vision, but he was certainly disorientated for a while. Taking him off and putting Friedel in goal was no big risk to Spurs.

Don't medical staff have first call over the manager?

If they thought there was any danger he would have been replaced. After all Brads no a bad keeper you know!

It is also supposed to be a mans game. if everyone was replaced for such in a rugby game there would be an empty pitch by half time.

Edited by carmine

Soldado used to be until he came to play for us!! Just for the record i too thought he was very poor yesterday and didn't look that interested. Am i alone in thinking he should have been on the end of that cross from the right in the second half? Instead he was pouncing about in no man's land.

The two selections that i am most unhappy about is Lennon playing on the left, and at all for that matter and Holtby starting over Eriksen. The understanding between Soldado and Eriksen is key to us. I would also try out Townsend on the left and give Lamela a crack on his chosen right wing position. We'd have the speed of Rose and Townsend left, Walker down the right when Lamela cuts in.

I haven't seen him enough to know for sure, but I presume Lamela is right footed. If so, it wouldn't hurt giving him a crack on the left and see if he can cut in and do some damage.

Don't magical staff have first call over the manager?

If they thought there was any danger he would have been replaced. After all Brads no a bad keeper you know!

It is also supposed to be a mans game. if everyone was replaced for such in a rugby game there would be an empty pitch by half time.

I would have thought magical staff have first call over anyone. biggrin.png

Don't magical staff have first call over the manager?

I would have thought magical staff have first call over anyone. biggrin.png

Quick edit done.wink.png I believe a certain ex Bolton player does think they are magical staff btwbiggrin.png

Not that I'm suggesting that the 'will he stay on/will he go off' drama with Lloris was by any means a tactical diversion, but it certainly took the sting out of the Everton onslaught. Hence the booing and general pissiness from the Everton fans for the rest of the match.

And he made some sweet saves thereafter with a nice chunk of possesion from our lot to boot.

I just wish Soldado was a little more awake yesterday...

ps I'll probably regret posting this biggrin.png

Edited by chonabot