Tottenham Thread

chonabot

He should just sack Redknapp now and make a fresh start.

Unbelievable..!!

What is it with Spurs fans thinking the grass is always greener..?? The real truth is that we actually qualified for the CL ahead of schedule after the catastrophe that was Juande Ramos and the mess he left us with. 'Arry's problem seems to be that he brough success too quickly. We only missed out on CL again last season due to us being in the competition anyway and highlighting our lack of depth in the squad, particularly in the striking department.

Check our record for last season. If we could have turned just 3 or 4 of our FIFTEEN draws in to wins we'd be there again. It's all about getting a quality 20+ goal striker on board and we'll be fine as we are very difficult to beat. A decent (fully fit) partner for Dawson and we're sorted.

If Modric wants to go then <deleted> him, let him go. 9 goals in almost 100 games does not suggest "World Class" to me and if we can stitch Chelski up for around 35m quid then happy days. Use the dough to but a goal scoring midfielder to partner the sensational Sandro and to feed off VDV and a new striker.

Have faith people, we'll be above The Arse next season.

COYS!

Its his recent negative attitude and failre to buy a striker in January that warrants it. If we had then we might have won a few of those games and been in the CL. I agree we lost way too many points due to our failure to score goals. Why then didn't he buy? He even said there was no one coming in by the 7th January. <deleted> was going on??

Anyway regarless the outcome with Harry we need a top striker and as you say a defender who won't be spending more than half the season on the treatment table.

High expectations indeed given some of the football played last season....its time to push onward and we need more quality to do that not lose our best players.

He should just sack Redknapp now and make a fresh start.

Unbelievable..!!

What is it with Spurs fans thinking the grass is always greener..?? The real truth is that we actually qualified for the CL ahead of schedule after the catastrophe that was Juande Ramos and the mess he left us with. 'Arry's problem seems to be that he brough success too quickly. We only missed out on CL again last season due to us being in the competition anyway and highlighting our lack of depth in the squad, particularly in the striking department.

Check our record for last season. If we could have turned just 3 or 4 of our FIFTEEN draws in to wins we'd be there again. It's all about getting a quality 20+ goal striker on board and we'll be fine as we are very difficult to beat. A decent (fully fit) partner for Dawson and we're sorted.

If Modric wants to go then <deleted> him, let him go. 9 goals in almost 100 games does not suggest "World Class" to me and if we can stitch Chelski up for around 35m quid then happy days. Use the dough to but a goal scoring midfielder to partner the sensational Sandro and to feed off VDV and a new striker.

Have faith people, we'll be above The Arse next season.

COYS!

This is one of the most clueless posts i have ever read on this entire forum.

Fortunately reading a number of different Spurs forums this guy is very much in a tiny minority.

30-35 mil would be a good price for us to sell Modric. He is a bit injury-prone but absolute class.

If Modric does go at Spurs and he almost certainly will if they get the right price and the likes of Chelsea are usually willing to pay, something is going to give soon at Spurs.

There is a logical disconnect at the moment between Levy and Harry. Levy has invested very heavily in the team but he has tended to buy (on average) long term quality so Spurs have a very good squad with a lot of value in it.

Harry now seems hell bent on buying whatever is cheap but will bring one seasons performance or maybe two even if it falls to bits afterwards. Names like Drogba, Parker, Cole etc keep on coming up (or his failure to get a proper keeper). Now obviously Levy has him on a short rein of cash but if Modric is sold he will not let him waste a 'value proposition' on some short term solutions that might get them into the CL next year only for them to lose out the following year.

So as I see it if Modric is sold Levy is either going to keep the cash and give it to whoever replaces Harry when he is gone at the end of next season or, less likely, he is going to make him change the way he starts picking his players. Of course if Modric is sold Harry might just resign as he said he would but I doubt it.

Personally with all the big teams throwing so much cash into their teams this year, I think Levy might just sit it out and wait until next year when Chelsea and City are looking to cut back their costs and he will almost certainly have a manager who is looking a little more long term.

30-35 mil would be a good price for us to sell Modric. He is a bit injury-prone but absolute class.

If Modric does go at Spurs and he almost certainly will if they get the right price and the likes of Chelsea are usually willing to pay, something is going to give soon at Spurs.

There is a logical disconnect at the moment between Levy and Harry. Levy has invested very heavily in the team but he has tended to buy (on average) long term quality so Spurs have a very good squad with a lot of value in it.

Harry now seems hell bent on buying whatever is cheap but will bring one seasons performance or maybe two even if it falls to bits afterwards. Names like Drogba, Parker, Cole etc keep on coming up (or his failure to get a proper keeper). Now obviously Levy has him on a short rein of cash but if Modric is sold he will not let him waste a 'value proposition' on some short term solutions that might get them into the CL next year only for them to lose out the following year.

So as I see it if Modric is sold Levy is either going to keep the cash and give it to whoever replaces Harry when he is gone at the end of next season or, less likely, he is going to make him change the way he starts picking his players. Of course if Modric is sold Harry might just resign as he said he would but I doubt it.

Personally with all the big teams throwing so much cash into their teams this year, I think Levy might just sit it out and wait until next year when Chelsea and City are looking to cut back their costs and he will almost certainly have a manager who is looking a little more long term.

You have it pretty much spot on here Mr Abrak. Apparently Levy is not happy about Redknapps negativity either. Theres little or no connect left there.

Just to reiterate, i was quite taken aback by Levys very robust response to Chelsea et al. I'm certainly no longer convinced Modric will be going. If he does then Chelsea are going to have to pay huuuuge. I sure regardless that Levy understands the negative effect it will hae on the likes of Bale and Sandro.

On a different note, i remain positive that we will eventually sign Leandro Damiao. That should make us far more potent upfront. Friedal will be solid although i'm not looking forward to seeing his pipe and slippers parked in the goal.

Edited by carmine

I guess the way to stop clubs doing this ridiculous tapping up where they first turn the head of the player with great personal terms and the offer of CL is that you do something similar to what LFC did with Torres. you get Modric into the room and say look we know you are tempted by CL but we also want to get full value out of you - that is only fair. So here is a 20k a week pay rise and we will sell you for a minimum offer of 40m. Then you do the same with Bale but make the minimum offer 45m. Some club will probably be desperate enough to go for it.

I also think that there could be quite a shock in store for transfer fees and salaries within the next year or two. So if you end up building a war chest and adding just a few smart buys this year you may end up looking far smarter rebuilding a year down the line as opposed to now like everyone else. Spurs arent going to finish lower than 6th in any case.

At the moment I would bet clubs are offering great personal terms to try and get them to hand in transfer requests on low transfer bids.

Well weve seen it how many times b4? Ultimately the player get's the move he wants. berby, did it carrick did it, and Im sure Modric wont be the last, Clubs make an intro offer unsettle the player which the club reject then after the player asks for a move. I presume modric 's next step will be to put it in writing. After That clubs come to an arrangement regarding the fee!! I would think 45mil plus would sooth the nerves. I hope it's sooner rather than later It wont be, cos dragging it out is the way levy gets the best financial package.But I just hope it doesn't take the focus, as it has in the past, of pre and early season away from where it should be.

What was that you said about the foundations at the Emirates being a bit shaky Smokie?

Keep up mate Modric stays put...we're buying a top striker and central defender...old 'Arry said so.....meanwhile who's leaving the Emirates eh eh eh? biggrin.gif

By the way I found some good stats on the effect of European football on League results. They relate to Liverpool.

If you take all data points going back Pre-Heysel (293 games) you find that Liverpool won 53.0% of matches following a European match and 53.7% of the time when there was no European match. If you just look at the CL era (115 games) then LFC won 62.3% of matches when there was no European fixture and just 50.4% when there was. My guess for this discrepancy is that when LFC were actually in the CL they were fielding a full team while if they were in say the Europa they were fielding a B team.

Rather more surprising is that Liverpool have won more matches 54.9% after away European games than home European games 50.7%. I can only imagine that they field stronger teams at home games and they are then tired in subsequent league matches. Or else players like the break abroad.

By the way I found some good stats on the effect of European football on League results. They relate to Liverpool.

If you take all data points going back Pre-Heysel (293 games) you find that Liverpool won 53.0% of matches following a European match and 53.7% of the time when there was no European match. If you just look at the CL era (115 games) then LFC won 62.3% of matches when there was no European fixture and just 50.4% when there was. My guess for this discrepancy is that when LFC were actually in the CL they were fielding a full team while if they were in say the Europa they were fielding a B team.

Rather more surprising is that Liverpool have won more matches 54.9% after away European games than home European games 50.7%. I can only imagine that they field stronger teams at home games and they are then tired in subsequent league matches. Or else players like the break abroad.

You're not in Europe any more mate. Get over it! biggrin.gif

Following on from my last post I have to chuckle at the collective hysteria regarding all the players we "must sell!!" before we can buy.

Of course we want to shed half a dozen fringe players and bring back our youngsters who have done well out on loan.

The funniest was in our apparent "desperation"laugh.gif we're letting Bassong leave on a free!

Dream on boys.....

Following on from my last post I have to chuckle at the collective hysteria regarding all the players we "must sell!!" before we can buy.

Of course we want to shed half a dozen fringe players and bring back our youngsters who have done well out on loan.

The funniest was in our apparent "desperation"laugh.gif we're letting Bassong leave on a free!

Dream on boys.....

Keane, Bentley, Jenas, Palacios, Bassong, Defoe, Crouch, Hutton can all go, and Redknapp for that matter, i really can't take another season of him blaming everyone but himself. :D Obviously Defoe and Crouch only if we actually sort ourselves out with a couple of newstrikers.

O'Hara and Pletikosa already gone. Bring back Walker and Naughton. IMHO our squad is currently too big and lacks a balance and Levy is correct in wanting redknapp too offload.

Dream on boys.....

Keane, Bentley, Jenas, Palacios, Bassong, Defoe, Crouch, Hutton can all go, and Redknapp for that matter, i really can't take another season of him blaming everyone but himself. :D Obviously Defoe and Crouch only if we actually sort ourselves out with a couple of newstrikers.

O'Hara and Pletikosa already gone. Bring back Walker and Naughton. IMHO our squad is currently too big and lacks a balance and Levy is correct in wanting redknapp too offload.

In their desperation to run us down they seem to have forgotten we get £5m for O'Hara. More money to come from the others too. Look at the list and if we can sell them all its a lot of transfer money to spend.

All looks very healthy from that perspective. smile.gif

I have'nt even included Kranjcar or Gomes, although i would prefer the croat to stay.

Theres loads of sell on value that will show a significant reduction in our wage bill. i really would hate to think that we have'nt been actively trying to offload players for a while and if nothing substantial happens during this window i fear for my sanity. I'm already stressed at the inclusion of Friedal, coupled with Cudicini getting a contract extention.

Did anyone else notice that Ledley was included in the photos modelling our new kit? Maybe Dawson will be club catain next season. Baring in mind his fitness and Woodgate being released i wonder whether it was a clever idea loaning out Simon Caulker again, especially after such a great season at Bristol City. So, if i hear excuses from Redknapp next season about an injury crisis at central defence i'll probably end up throwing a brick at the tv :o We MUST buy strikers and a quality central defender and we and Redknapp must acknowledge that Gallas, at his age cannot be relied on so heavily and will be more injury prone.

Just trying to iron out Harrys excuses before the season starts. :)

Can we take it that the players muppett face wants to buy are already lined up and it's just a question of getting rid of some of the dead wood to release the funds ;)

you'd like to think so would'nt you. :whistling:

I look at the list of potential sell ons and theres no reason whatsoever why we can't spend big this time. CL profits, 5m already for O'Hara, theres good value in JJ, Palacios, one/two strikers (admittedly they don't score though) Kranjcar and Hutton.

i have to go with the assumption that Levy will be asking too much and then harry will do the last minute wheeler dealer crap and we get nothing more than a 33 year old on a free but lets once again keep the faith.

The fact that the Leandro Damiao transfer has stalled worries me. That seemed such a good fit for us.

Can we take it that the players muppett face wants to buy are already lined up and it's just a question of getting rid of some of the dead wood to release the funds ;)

I look at the list of potential sell ons and theres no reason whatsoever why we can't spend big this time. CL profits, 5m already for O'Hara, theres good value in JJ, Palacios, one/two strikers (admittedly they don't score though) Kranjcar and Hutton.

i have to go with the assumption that Levy will be asking too much and then harry will do the last minute wheeler dealer crap and we get nothing more than a 33 year old on a free but lets once again keep the faith.

The fact that the Leandro Damiao transfer has stalled worries me. That seemed such a good fit for us.

I'm taking the view that nothing's stalled. The window opens on Saturday and let's give him a week before we start the inevitable criticism.

COYS

Just interested what sort of ballpark figure you think you will attain for your duds?

Just interested what sort of ballpark figure you think you will attain for your duds?

So difficult to put a figure on that. Wha i would say is the Palacios and Kranjcar have a lot of interest. crouch and Defoe won't be a problem to move either. They'd fetch decent money. All the others are of an age with a reasonable sell on. With Keane we should take whatever we can. Bentley is going to be a huge loss but he's no future at WHL and has to go. I just think its a case of Levy not being too greedy.

So difficult to put a figure on that. Wha i would say is the Palacios and Kranjcar have a lot of interest. crouch and Defoe won't be a problem to move either. They'd fetch decent money. All the others are of an age with a reasonable sell on. With Keane we should take whatever we can. Bentley is going to be a huge loss but he's no future at WHL and has to go. I just think its a case of Levy not being too greedy.

Move on half a dozen of them should be close to £30m....plus a whole lot more in wages saved. Then we can buy a central defender and a striker (or two!).

This story made me chuckle....

http://www.givemefoo...iker---reports?

Please let it be true! biggrin.gif

Cant find the story, but they were one of the four clubs, the others include Chelsea and Man city, who had their £45 mil bids accepted for Neymar, the latest Brazilian wonder kid.

But yeah if 13 mil were on the table 4 pav the chav i'de more than take it, ide bite their arm off.

Edited by rijit

So lets say Spurs lose Modric and Bale because of the uncertainty and 85m of bids....

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/07/03/tottenham-to-admit-defeat-and-sell-80m-pair-to-chelsea-and-man-city/

I am not saying its going to happen but its a possibility.

What I want to know is what happens next?

I mean you have a huge pile of cash to totally rebuild the squad but you look as though you have a manager who is only going to be around for a year. It doesnt make much sense to me to give it to Harry only to have a new guy come in. Why not keep it and wait until next year when prices will probably be cheaper anyway.

Of course, if Levy didnt give him the money, then Harry might have a huge sulk and go off in a huff which would suit a lot of people. Or maybe if Levy didnt give him the money the lads would be round to smash his car windows.

So lets say Spurs lose Modric and Bale because of the uncertainty and 85m of bids....

http://www.caughtoff...a-and-man-city/

I am not saying its going to happen but its a possibility.

What I want to know is what happens next?

I mean you have a huge pile of cash to totally rebuild the squad but you look as though you have a manager who is only going to be around for a year. It doesnt make much sense to me to give it to Harry only to have a new guy come in. Why not keep it and wait until next year when prices will probably be cheaper anyway.

Of course, if Levy didnt give him the money, then Harry might have a huge sulk and go off in a huff which would suit a lot of people. Or maybe if Levy didnt give him the money the lads would be round to smash his car windows.

Even you should know better than to quote drivel second hand from the People.

Levy has said they are not for sale at any price. End of story. It'll be interesting however to see if he's sensible enough with prices for some of our fringe players who we need to get off our books.

Hopefully this will happen quickly and we can strengthen our central defence and attack....which is of course our aim this summer....despite the sensationalist garbage you prefer to ingest.