Tottenham Thread

chonabot

BTW what is exactly the next level?

I mean you are 3rd whilst spending approximately half what the two teams in front of you do?

I mean I am sure that Mancini claims he has taken City to the next level but we all know it is Mansour who did it?

Once you have qualified for CL, is the job of the next manager to win it? Because it is a bit unfair to expect that with a half/third of the resources of your competitors?

The next level would be slightly better than we are now. Simple as that. (If that meant getting to the semis or even a repeat of our last CL campaign then great.)

You talk about money like its the be all and end all but i seem to remember Porto winning it not so long ago, not that i'm for a minute suggesting we will btw.

Yes I know I talk about money as it is the be all and end all. I accept that it isnt which is why Spurs have been incredibly successful without much.

However, Porto won the CL back in 2004/05 which is a long time ago. They also enjoy a rather unique position in the EC in that they allow 3rd party ownership which reduces their acquisition costs, wages and boosts their player related profits. That is why they have say made something like 160m in player sales profits in the last 5 years which is in fact higher than their amortized acquisition costs, which is 500m better than Chelsea.

And at the end of the day money is the be all and end all. I can 100% guarantee that if you give me enough money I can win the league. If you claim I cannot because you understand tactics, strategy, you have the better players, your players gel together better etc, etc , etc, you are simply wrong. My resources are infinite while yours are not.

I am not trying to take the piss. Aston Villa achieved temporary success by destroying their business model etc. So I can guarantee you it is incredibly easy to achieve sporting success in football with enough money. It is incredibly hard to achieve sporting success in football without it. So while you all go on about how well a club is doing in a sporting sense, it really doesnt matter to me because it is simply a function of money. To me say there should really be a limit for City in how much they think they can lose to win the EPL. If you happen to take the opposite view - which is that it doesnt actually how much you lose to win the EPL - as long as you win it (you should at least understand it is a silver cup).

So I dont believe money is the be and end all, it is fairly fungible - but winning say the EPL a silver cup - must actually have a value that is inherently limited. (Incidentally, I know it is worth quite a lot, I also know I have no idea its exact value but to say its value is in excess of say 400m quid in a single year I think is very brave.)

Sorry for the previous long post.

What I was actually asking was if you were in Levy's shoes and Harry was to leave who would you appoint as manager?

The Mourinho odds etc were merely an indication of how other people felt the likely outcome would be. And my point about Ancelotti is that while you might like him he would seem unlikely to leave such a plum job.

What I was actually asking was if you were in Levy's shoes and Harry was to leave who would you appoint as manager?

The Mourinho odds etc were merely an indication of how other people felt the likely outcome would be. And my point about Ancelotti is that while you might like him he would seem unlikely to leave such a plum job.

I think the short answer is none of the above.

If Redknapp takes the England job he won't leave until May so Levy should be taking his time over it.

I'll reiterate...no one on that shortlist in my opinion.

If Redknapp takes the England job he won't leave until May so Levy should be taking his time over it.

Sorry to be boring and I fully understand your point as well as Carmine's.

But the reason I am asking is because it is a difficult question.

Namely Levy will have to appoint someone. So the answer that given the choices available I wont choose anyone isnt very helpful.

Funnily enough you guys have been a bit anti Redknapp because you think you can do 'better'. Now that the decision has to be made it seems there is nobody obviously available that can actually do better. When I say obvious I think that Coyle Lambert, Rodgers, Moyes are all good managers. And then there are the likes of Benitez and Deschamps.

So you really dont need to reiterate that Harry wasnt much good in the first place and all the alternatives are crap. (I also fully respect a view that Levy runs the shop and you dont even have a manager.)

But realistically you have to appoint someone, it doesnt have to be on any shortlist but you cant choose God because that is against FA rules.

I have to admit i am truely taken aback at what Redknapp has achieved with regards our squad. Yes ofcourse won nothing but he's put together the best Spurs team in 30 years and i think its getting better by the game.

I still think his tactics are poor, at times appalling but his management and understanding of the players is second to none.

Rosie seemed a nice dog too.

As to who should take over? Talk of Ancellotti leaving PSG is folly, as is Mourinho joining us. Theres no one in the premier league i'd want at this time.

Edited by carmine

All you Spuds were moaning a few weeks ago that Arry is spending all his time thinking about the Engalnd job and not enuf on Spurs. Now he says that 'he hasn't given it a lot of thought', so you are all obviously very bad judges of character. giggle.gif

All you Spuds were moaning a few weeks ago that Arry is spending all his time thinking about the Engalnd job and not enuf on Spurs. Now he says that 'he hasn't given it a lot of thought', so you are all obviously very bad judges of character. giggle.gif

The man's a saint.

No one's mentioned capello, crap international tournament manager but we will struggle to find a more successful club manager without current work!!, so no expensive contract to buy out and i'm sure levy will abso luv that. And would you like to bet against him doing a good job?

The man's a saint.

so

do you want to get rid of him

or do u want him to stay.....

The man's a saint.

so

do you want to get rid of him

or do u want him to stay.....

Given we're playing great football and sitting third I doubt any of us would want to sack him. I think that answers your question.

Before the trial verdict, you feigned nonchalance as to whether he stayed or not. Now he got off, you want him to stay. coffee1.gif

...were not that interested. If he's guilty, he;s doing bird. If not he'll be back on the Spurs bench in a couple of weeks.coffee1.gif...

Not that interested that you may lose your manager and he'll end up in prison for fraud? Strange way to support a club. blink.png

Managers come and go...just ask Real Madrid supporters.

Before the trial verdict, you feigned nonchalance as to whether he stayed or not. Now he got off, you want him to stay. coffee1.gif

Its an interesting position Katana because its mostly out of Tottenham's hands. If he wants to take the England job if offered then he will.

All I'm saying is what club wouldn't want to keep a manager who has the team playing well?

Change for its own sake when there are no obvious replacement candidates as good or better is just plain stupid.

To be fair to Newcastle they were carrying a few injuries but nonetheless a fine performance. Maybe things won't effect us untowardly.

Nice to see Lennon get a run out but i have to say, considering Krancjar doesn't like the right side particularily he's done a great job filling in. The guys had a frustrating time at Spurs but has taken it well and proven to be a top professional.

Lets hope we can get Van Der Vaart, Kaboul and Sandro fit for the derby. I'm presuming he'll play the europa team against Stevenage and maybe giving those three half an hour. I'd like to see all three feature at the Library.

I'm glad we don't have to play you again. Hope you do it to United !!

No we won't MrB, the refs won't allow it.

I think its time to remind MrRed of the ball being a meter over the line! Thats right, that old chestnut. And i'll tell you what, if Howard plays, what with the form he's been in this season we;ve got no chance!

Edited by carmine

Interesting blog on a Spurs site suggesting Didier Deschamps as a possible replacement. I think it is realistic appointment. He's relatively young, very good record and has CL experience. His name and reputation could help in us keeping the likes of Modric a bit longer and also might bode well in our chase to sign Loic Remy who is absolute quality.

Interesting blog on a Spurs site suggesting Didier Deschamps as a possible replacement. I think it is realistic appointment. He's relatively young, very good record and has CL experience. His name and reputation could help in us keeping the likes of Modric a bit longer and also might bode well in our chase to sign Loic Remy who is absolute quality.

A fine win that was yesterday. I thought Krankjar was excellent, also Adebayor and Saha. Just wish Modric would have a few more pops at goal.

Minor quibble however on an excellent display against a possible CL team next year.

A fine win that was yesterday. I thought Krankjar was excellent, also Adebayor and Saha. Just wish Modric would have a few more pops at goal.

Minor quibble however on an excellent display against a possible CL team next year.

The Spurs thread. The thread that still talks about football jap.gif

The Spurs thread. The thread that still talks about football jap.gif

What about the Chelski Thread where they have all cut out their tongues in sacrifice?

Disgusting. biggrin.png

Yes whatever smokes but more importantly did you notice Suarez's arm raised at the point of the handshake that never was. Forearm smash to Evra's face was on its way but the ref was on the spot. ohmy.png