Tottenham Thread

chonabot

I'm really liking the rumour mill that is getting stronger about us having some sort of an agreement with Eden Hazard.

Rumours are just rumours i know but fingers crossed on this one. A superb player.

No problems with him getting injured at summer tournaments either!

Not getting too excited with this story...yet.

I'm really liking the rumour mill that is getting stronger about us having some sort of an agreement with Eden Hazard.

Rumours are just rumours i know but fingers crossed on this one. A superb player.

Well its actually what he's intimating and says he's like to play for us. For once i think theres might be some real substance here.

Presumably now Man City or Chelsea will go and blow it out of the water!

Well its actually what he's intimating and says he's like to play for us. For once i think theres might be some real substance here.

Yes I've been following the 18 page thread on one of the forums since last summer....coffee1.gif

Yes I've been following the 18 page thread on one of the forums since last summer....coffee1.gif

He only made these comments in an interview yesterday mate! Anyway, just take it as positive that one of the most sought after talents in europe would be interested in playing for us. I doubt very much if he would have given us a second look three years ago.

Edited by carmine

Players have used our club to force better deals elsewhere in the past carmine. When the noise is coming from Levy and Redknapp then I'll pay more attention.

Its Feb <deleted>!

Better read my post again mate, you've obviously misread what i said!

But one things for sure, you'll hear nothing from those two eitherway.

Players have used our club to force better deals elsewhere in the past carmine. When the noise is coming from Levy and Redknapp then I'll pay more attention.

Its Feb <deleted>!

Better read my post again mate, you've obviously misread what i said!

But one things for sure, you'll hear nothing from those two eitherway.

We will hear nothing from Redknapp? That will be a first....

"Look Hazard is a top, top player...I would be the first to admit it. Obviously any manager would be interested in signing him. Whether Spurs can compete with the likes of Chelsea and City in terms of wages is a different matter. Obviously we have made no approach as yet. I dont believe in approaching players under contract to another club, and I never would. To say that I am not interested would be wrong. But it is not something that we have discussed. Hazard has the sort of quality that we need but he simply isnt our player. It is difficult to compete with clubs that have unlimited budgets when we have to spend within certain constraints."

I accept that players will want to join our team carmine, on the basis we have some real quality in the team. Hazard? That would be a fantastic signing for us but him plus a striker in the summer?

It would require a considerable leap of faith for Levy in every sense.

I accept that players will want to join our team carmine, on the basis we have some real quality in the team. Hazard? That would be a fantastic signing for us but him plus a striker in the summer?

City won't let us have him in my opinion....just like they wouldn't let us have Bellamy.

Have you considered that Levy might have decided that it time to let Modric go this summer? Wouldn't suprise me in the least and providing they have a replacement sorted i'd love to sell him. We'd have a huge transfer kitty. But do you think he's going to be as hot on Chelsea? biggrin.png

City won't let us have him in my opinion....just like they wouldn't let us have Bellamy.

We'll let you have Adebayor. Surely he's proved himself to you now.

I don't think Mancini thought we'd be making a serious challenge to City when he loaned us Adebayor and to be fair neither did i.

But the guys been very open and honest abd says he plays for the money and doesn't want to drop his salary. i have no problem with him saying that, he's been triffic for us this season but we'll have to be making other plans for next season.

I can also see Levy "choosing" to sell Modric. Whether we did the double or won nothing he'd still start sending out the signals at the end of the season. Strange how i end up despising Modric and respecting Adebayor!! biggrin.png

Have you considered that Levy might have decided that it time to let Modric go this summer? Wouldn't suprise me in the least and providing they have a replacement sorted i'd love to sell him. We'd have a huge transfer kitty. But do you think he's going to be as hot on Chelsea? biggrin.png

I doubt he'll be so keen to leave unless Spain come calling....or Citeh...but hat would be an astronomical fee now wouldn't it? wink.png

I doubt he'll be so keen to leave unless Spain come calling....or Citeh...but hat would be an astronomical fee now wouldn't it? wink.png

I would have thought Man Utd are a likely choice but would they spend the money? Chelsea will be desperate to sign him too. Well thats as long as the coach that will replace Villas-Boas is a Modric fan. The need to spend big or they will spiral downhill.

We've just done a loan deal for Bruno Uvini from Sao Paulo. Brazillian U20 center back. Looking to make it permanent in the summer.

As a follow up to this i just heard an interview with Tom Vickery, Talksports man in Brazil who says that Uvani isn't that good and he doesn't understand why Spurs have signed him on a loan! Reckons he's clumsy and turns slower than the Amoco Cadiz.

He goes into say that at the next world cup the selacao will consist of the old guard center backs because the management simply don't rate the new crop of youngsters.

It does also seem strange when we already have the very talented Stephen Caulker to bring back next season and he's only nineteen.

We've just done a loan deal for Bruno Uvini from Sao Paulo. Brazillian U20 center back. Looking to make it permanent in the summer.

As a follow up to this i just heard an interview with Tom Vickery, Talksports man in Brazil who says that Uvani isn't that good and he doesn't understand why Spurs have signed him on a loan! Reckons he's clumsy and turns slower than the Amoco Cadiz.

He goes into say that at the next world cup the selacao will consist of the old guard center backs because the management simply don't rate the new crop of youngsters.

It does also seem strange when we already have the very talented Stephen Caulker to bring back next season and he's only nineteen.

I assume he has been signed on loan because of the work permit issue.

I dont see how he qualifies for a work permit.

BTW did anyone notice in the Times today Lewis supposedly isnt interested in a 450m possible offer from AEG today.

Just think it is amusing given that he has delisted the shares at a valuation of 76m less than 2 months ago. Actually that is par for the course for him but anyway we will see what happens. Levy in my opinion cant be any cleverer than he already is and cant lose more money but we shall see.

And Redknapp will clearly make loads - and he certainly cant be as stupid as he claims to be.

BTW did anyone notice in the Times today Lewis supposedly isnt interested in a 450m possible offer from AEG today.

Just think it is amusing given that he has delisted the shares at a valuation of 76m less than 2 months ago. Actually that is par for the course for him but anyway we will see what happens. Levy in my opinion cant be any cleverer than he already is and cant lose more money but we shall see.

And Redknapp will clearly make loads - and he certainly cant be as stupid as he claims to be.

Business thread please.

Out of interest (and partly because you tend to bug us about Hodgson) at what point do you give Redknapp serious credit for what has been achieved this year.

By that I mean that whatever happens over the remains of the season Spurs performance has been extraordinary. I dont think anyone predicted it.

I recognize that (in my view) the 'genius' behind the club is Levy who has done incredibly well with little general recognition or reward. But the club has massively outperformed the likes of Arsenal etc while Aston Villa have been left for dust.

If you say look at this table you are so way off the table it is hard to believe.

http://abehnisch.com...all-imbalances/

In my own world I would like to believe that Levy is a genius but I dont think it is true. And I certainly dont think that Redknapp is as incredibly stupid as he makes out.

But where are we here? We know he is not a financial genius? But do you think he is good? A manager that could take say Chelsea to the CL championship in 5 years? Or just kind of lucky?

Personally I cant believe that say Levy is that brilliant that Redknapp is only Ok? Although it might all be down to Comolli?spamsign.gif

Business thread please.

Look as your manager claims to be totally disorganized, financially incompetent, writes like a 2 year old not aware of which country he is in, or which bank, it would hardly be appropriate to post a Spurs comment in a business thread would it?

When you appreciate that Spurs is actually a business unlike most of your competitors, you can perhaps start a Levy thread which I will happily contribute to.

Business thread please.

And look the reason that you, Carmine and Smokie are not interested in who is your manager is because while you have Levy running the business you know it will generally be run in the right direction and it is probably best to trust his judgment whoever he chooses.

You are rightly in my view taking a general approach that you trust the person who manages the financial side of the business. When Spurs is clearly the best run financial business out of the top six it is a bit much to turn around and say its financials should be rendered into the spare file. Anyone can achieve football success at a large enough cost, achieving it within financial discipline is incredibly difficult. What Spurs have achieved this year has not been done within at least 8 years.

I am a far bigger Spurs fan than you.

Business thread please.

And look the reason that you, Carmine and Smokie are not interested in who is your manager is because while you have Levy running the business you know it will generally be run in the right direction and it is probably best to trust his judgment whoever he chooses.

You are rightly in my view taking a general approach that you trust the person who manages the financial side of the business. When Spurs is clearly the best run financial business out of the top six it is a bit much to turn around and say its financials should be rendered into the spare file. Anyone can achieve football success at a large enough cost, achieving it within financial discipline is incredibly difficult. What Spurs have achieved this year has not been done within at least 8 years.

And you might at least have the decency to note that the Enterprise value that AEG placed on Spurs was double what FSG placed on Liverpool after 100 years of business.

Because if Spurs is not interested in business I really wonder what they are interested in.

Not the 'Milk Cup' or the 'Europa'. If they really think they can win the PL from either MU or the lunatics? Or qualifying for the CL and doing quite well. So you are not interested in whether you are a decent business and you are not interested in winning any cups apart from the FA.

So you are just interested in taking part. That is fine. But dont try and compete with the top 6 and allow Levy to make some money.

Edited by Abrak

You make a lot of sense in many respcts Abrak but the one minor thing you seem to over look is that we are quite a decent football team.

Harry Redknapp, God bless his cockney socks has worked wonders and has found this squad to be the perfect vehicle for his talents. Those talents principally being day to day man mangement of a very talented squad of players. There is a great fondness towards Redknapp from the players and they want to play for him. I'm sure too they know he's far from the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to tactics but the quality of the team seems to largely compensate for that.

He is also very shrew in the transfer market as we know. What with the injuries to Sandro and Hudd out for the season, the presense of Parker has been immense. Adebayor also has fitted in perfectly and has shown how, with a really decent striker we can a very good side.

What i don't understand is what Kevin Bond and Les Ferdinand bring to the table and i doubt i ever will.

One thing for sure is that harry could never of achieved what he has whilst that complete tool Damien Comolli was at the club and i consider Harry's original demand to get rid of him ( as it seems do most Spurs fans and Arsene Wenger!!) to be the most important decision Levy has made along with the refusal to sell that little sh1t Modric.

Edited by carmine

Business thread please.

As much as Levy is a very shrewd business man,more importantly he is a life time Spurs supporter which basically means he would never leave us in the lurch, how many other clubs could say that ?

Edited by alfieconn

You are clearly a very decent football team. More to the point there is a lot of value within the team and with its deadwood to finance a continued good team in the future. My only feeling is that you are already achieving 110% of what you should be, so it is likely to be less in the future.

I am astounded by how well you have done given your limited resources. The reason I am skeptical for the medium term future is that I do not think it is sustainable in the future. And also you no longer have the flexibility to invest in the team that you had in the past (not that you need it).

To me the most dysfunctional thing about your team is your owner. He is about the 3rd richest in the League but does not provide a penny. For say Levy to secure public funding for a club backed by a tax exile worth 4bn must be a nightmare.

What Spurs need is 'funding', they dont need 'subsidizing' like other clubs. There are so many clubs that are owned by people so much poorer than - Lewis - Bolton, Wigan, Newcastle, Aston Villa Fulham etc - where the owners have all put in at least 100m each to support the team. Lewis has done nothing. And unless he is prepared to, he should sell Spurs to someone who is prepared to say invest in a new stadium. If Levy is saddled with financing the stadium out of revenue backed bonds, there will be no progress at the club for 10 years.

I was taking the piss on Comolli if you missed it.

Business thread please.

As much as Levy is a very shrewd business man,more importantly he is a life time Spurs supporter which basically means he would never leave us in the lurch, how many other clubs could say that ?

Alfie, yes I agree. But at the end of the day Levy is not rich like Lewis and will wish to see a return on his investment. Personally I think what Spurs need is Levy backed by someone else. But please accept he has a vast proportion of his wealth tied up in Spurs (Levy) and he will wish for a return. Being smart financially means that you seek a financial return. Levy is not so rich that he can regard Spurs as a charity and being financial he will ultimately look at his financial return rather than a couple of silver cups.

And to him say eventually building the club up selling it to a decent investor for 500m which was twice what Liverpool was worth despite their cups and trophies is a big achievement. He also knows he has helped the supporters (whether he stays or goes on sale) because nobody pays 500m for something they are not prepared to invest in (excluding USTs). And finally as a supporter he might sacrifice the best price for the club for the best investor.

Business thread please.

Actually i'm very interested who our next manager will be. Lets face it, Redknapps off in the summer.

I have said my "realistic" preference would be Didier Deschamps. He fits the bill for us. My reasons already previously state are that he is young, 43 years old i believe, yet already experienced, highly regarded as a player, has success at managerial level already winning the french league, took Monaco to the CL final, has the stature in the game to attract top players and might enable us to keep some of our best for longer. Finally he has already proven he can manage big names and work within tight financial constraints. and he's never been sacked!

If i were Levy this guy would be a stand out top of the list.