Looking Cheaper Tachilek Hotel

calvinyong

If you have a Myanmar visa (no, not the little entry stamp you get when you croiss from Mae Sai but ratyher a full-blown visa obtainable at the Myanmar Embassey in Bangkok) you can stay overnight in Tachileik. There is a nice new hotel just North of the main tourist market area accessible off the main highway. Don't remember its name.

No visa? Stay in Mae Sai. The Wang Tong is not bad (good breakfast). This time of year about 800B.

• Like 1

In this coming February I and my Burmese wife will go to tachileck to meet her parent. So I need to stay there 4-5 days.We will from Malaysia flight to chiang mai and she apply Thailand visa in Malaysia, when we arrive in chiang mai airport then apply re entry permit Thailand for her.

Edited by calvinyong

We were there two days ago. The Hotel's coodinates are N20°26'50.14" E99°52'56.88".

If you have a Myanmar Passport, no visa is required. For some ASEAN citizens, the visa is waived - it varies from location to lo9cation and officer to officer. My wife required a visa last November, not this January. Otherwise a visa is required to overnight anywhere in Myanmar. Visa can be obtained at any Myanmar Embassy.

After you finish with passport business on the bridge continue up the road then turn right on the main road. There are hotels all along that road. There is one about 500 yards along on the left side down a laneway. You should be able to arrange a discount with a group staying for a few days.

If you have a Myanmar visa (no, not the little entry stamp you get when you croiss from Mae Sai but ratyher a full-blown visa obtainable at the Myanmar Embassey in Bangkok) you can stay overnight in Tachileik. There is a nice new hotel just North of the main tourist market area accessible off the main highway. Don't remember its name.

No visa? Stay in Mae Sai. The Wang Tong is not bad (good breakfast). This time of year about 800B.

Do I need the Myanmar visa to tachilek?there are no longer us this entry permit to enter the tachilek anymore? please advice.

post-231362-0-54953400-1422598569_thumb.

Edited by calvinyong

As a US citizen I can say that I have never had a problem staying overnight in Tachilek without getting a proper visa. I think I was told I could stay for up to 15 days. I never could find a very cheap hotel. I think I paid 700 baht last time, but I don't recall the name.

If you are staying four days I guess you have some things planned to do. Myself, I couldn't stay more than two days.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there two days ago. The Hotel's coodinates are N20°26'50.14" E99°52'56.88".

If you have a Myanmar Passport, no visa is required. For some ASEAN citizens, the visa is waived - it varies from location to lo9cation and officer to officer. My wife required a visa last November, not this January. Otherwise a visa is required to overnight anywhere in Myanmar. Visa can be obtained at any Myanmar Embassy.

Umm I don't think so. It's always been the case that for US$10, you can get a border pass valid for 14 days in Tachilek and possibly vicinity, otherwise if you arrive with a tourist visa you get 28 days and can also travel to the rest of the country. That's for third party nationalities. Thais can also enter on a border pass valid for one day only and only within the vicinity of the border, for a fee of whatever they charge now at the border pass office, maybe 50 Baht plus 10 Baht more on the Myanmar side.

ASEAN citizens such as Vietnamese can only get a visa waiver if they fly into Myanmar. Overland entry still requires a visa (except for day trips or trips of up to 14 days without a visa, but then they can't leave the border area). I have recently travelled overland via Myawady (last month and just came back less than 2 weeks ago) and Malaysian and Vietnamese citizens, the latter being a friend of mine all had Myanmar visas in their passports due to their overland entry. There has been talk of allowing overland entry without a visa in the near future, but the Myanmar government hasn't implemented this yet.

As a US citizen I can say that I have never had a problem staying overnight in Tachilek without getting a proper visa. I think I was told I could stay for up to 15 days. I never could find a very cheap hotel. I think I paid 700 baht last time, but I don't recall the name.

If you are staying four days I guess you have some things planned to do. Myself, I couldn't stay more than two days.

That's true, it's 2 weeks. It costs the same whether you stay a day or two weeks and it's either US$10 or for gullible tourists or those without US dollars, 500 Baht.

The only condition is that you can't leave the border area without a visa. I don't know if they are still allowing travel up to Kengtung or Mongla on the Chinese border on the 14 day pass like they used to.

Agoda has quite a few good looking Tachilek hotels listed on it's website now. The older ones look like dumps but the 2-3 new ones look pretty good.