Etihad airways

highlander76

prefer etihad and qatar to emirites; newer fleets, better food, emirates may have it on the inflight entertainment - though i cant really remember. Abu Dhabi airport is big and a little confusing depending on where in the airport you arrive and depart from and will be until they finish building the new airport.

my flight was delayed 4 hours leaving bkk last year so missed my connection in AD but was efficiently dealt with; reallocated to the next flight and given food.

i'd fly etihad every time.

Not as extensive a shopping area as Dubai by a long way. In Dubai you can walk a long long way from end to end.

Not that there seems to be much difference in choice as many shops in Dubai are the same at either end.

I flew economy, so hard to tell a difference. It was an OK flight. I did not like Abu Dhabi at all. Horrible airport, no place to really sit, smoke filled the air and the place was jam packed. I'd take swampy any day over that place. This was 2 years ago, so not sure if things have changed since then?????

Online reviews seem to be consistent with regards to the airport:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/auh.htm

Best thing I liked about etihad is they have AC plugs on the seats so you can keep your laptop going for the full flight, plus I found the chairs quite comfy... to be honest though I did do about 3 Valiums to get me to sleep so anything was comfy! but good airline in fact one of the best I have been with

I think the Emirates lounge in BKK is great, what are you comparing it to?

The Emirates lounge in Dubai is without question the best I have ever been in, although the Thai lounge at Don Muang back when they had free massage service would be a close second...

Have flown Etihad twice and they were fine, no major drama at the change over point which was very short.

But now, get on - eat - watch a couple of movies - sleep - get off LHR is the only way to go, with British Airways or EVA whichever has the better deal......you can keep Thai and their prices!

• Like 1

flew Etihad business and first to Europe. in nearly every respect not the standard of Qatar or Emirates and that applies not only to the equipment but also to the lounges dry.png

Amazing how opinions differ:

Flew Qatar Business Class a few years back: Not impressed with their flat reclined seats.

Flew Emirates Business Class this year 5 times: Impressed with the A380 otherwise again, not so impressed with the flat reclining seats (not 100% horizontal) on the other aircraft.

I've been flying Etihad Business Class for the last 8 years or so: IMO their seating is the best - 100% lie flat guaranteed on every flight.

Emirates lounges are the best, Etihad is always over crowded, as was Qatar.

Finn Air Business Class offer highly competitive pricing - I flew with them 8 months ago - not that impressed, but also not unimpressed.

If flying Economy I'd be tempted to go for Emirates, simply based on their entertainment system being better.

Have flown Etihad twice and they were fine, no major drama at the change over point which was very short.

But now, get on - eat - watch a couple of movies - sleep - get off LHR is the only way to go, with British Airways or EVA whichever has the better deal......you can keep Thai and their prices!

Thai's prices are hideous... its hardly surprising they are having trouble... Their Business Class seat to the UK is THB 160,000 the same BA seat is about THB 102,000...

However, for many of us LHR is not an ideal UK destination, thus a long onward car or train journey in the UK or a connecting flight is required. Thus: for many the Middle Eastern Airlines remain a highly viable option.

I'd love to see an airline offer direct flights to Birmingham or Manchester.

• Like 1

The Emirates lounge in Dubai is without question the best I have ever been in, although the Thai lounge at Don Muang back when they had free massage service would be a close second...

I agree the Emirates lounge in BKK is great, as is the one at LHR. I have to disagree about Dubai though - it nowhere near the top of my list. It reminds me of a school canteen - too noisy, too many people, too big.

I can remember the Emirates lounge in DXB at the old airport ( mid 90's ) that was when it really was quite the luxury, or over time perhaps it's become the norm.

Most of the lounges tend to be packed nowadays due to all the different tier levels and partner airlines.

I find the seats at the Emirates lounge in BKK about as comfortable as a park bench.

Edited by JaiLai

I agree the Emirates lounge in BKK is great, as is the one at LHR. I have to disagree about Dubai though - it nowhere near the top of my list. It reminds me of a school canteen - too noisy, too many people, too big.

It never seems that busy to me, and the food is great. Love hte gate access as well.

Thai's prices are hideous... its hardly surprising they are having trouble... Their Business Class seat to the UK is THB 160,000 the same BA seat is about THB 102,000...

However, for many of us LHR is not an ideal UK destination, thus a long onward car or train journey in the UK or a connecting flight is required. Thus: for many the Middle Eastern Airlines remain a highly viable option.

Thai's prices are hideous... its hardly surprising they are having trouble... Their Business Class seat to the UK is THB 160,000 the same BA seat is about THB 102,000.

i think you are "slightly" off the mark. i am presently in Germany (flew last sunday) wife checked all prices with our regular travel agency and came up with Thai first class for THB 188,000 but on old equipment (747) without "cabins". that does not tally with your info "business 160,000".

Thai's prices are hideous... its hardly surprising they are having trouble... Their Business Class seat to the UK is THB 160,000 the same BA seat is about THB 102,000.

i think you are "slightly" off the mark. i am presently in Germany (flew last sunday) wife checked all prices with our regular travel agency and came up with Thai first class for THB 188,000 but on old equipment (747) without "cabins". that does not tally with your info "business 160,000".

Gotta love the TV detectives determined to point of flaws in an argument that nobody would have any reason to lie about in the first place. TG business to the UK IS around 160,000 baht. To put your super sleuth's mind at rest I just picked two random dates in March. The price is 156,185 baht, or - to put it another way - around 160,000 (and that's the cheapest business fare).

But keep up the good work!

post-83861-0-48910300-1422586883_thumb.p

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 2

flew Etihad business and first to Europe. in nearly every respect not the standard of Qatar or Emirates and that applies not only to the equipment but also to the lounges dry.png

Amazing how opinions differ:

Flew Qatar Business Class a few years back: Not impressed with their flat reclined seats.

Flew Emirates Business Class this year 5 times: Impressed with the A380 otherwise again, not so impressed with the flat reclining seats (not 100% horizontal) on the other aircraft.

I've been flying Etihad Business Class for the last 8 years or so: IMO their seating is the best - 100% lie flat guaranteed on every flight.

Emirates lounges are the best, Etihad is always over crowded, as was Qatar.

Finn Air Business Class offer highly competitive pricing - I flew with them 8 months ago - not that impressed, but also not unimpressed.

If flying Economy I'd be tempted to go for Emirates, simply based on their entertainment system being better.

The QR first and business lounges in Doha were pretty amazing. I haven't been there since they opened the new airport - in the old one, F and J passengers had their own dedicated terminal with the lounges inside of that terminal.

Flying through Doha has its own challenges, though.

Gotta love the TV detectives determined to point of flaws in an argument that nobody would have any reason to lie about in the first place. TG business to the UK IS around 160,000 baht. To put your super sleuth's mind at rest I just picked two random dates in March. The price is 156,185 baht, or - to put it another way - around 160,000 (and that's the cheapest business fare).

But keep up the good work!

nobody mentioned anything about a lie, i was not referring to flights to a remote and insignificant island such as U.K. and neither did i refer to any "argument".

but to put it another way... are you happy and relaxed now and did you stop beating your wife and/or kicking your dog to compensate your frustration?

laugh.png

I got a BKK LHR Biz flight for 100k in April with Etihad, makes Thai look ludicrous

You lot must be minted, why would anyone pay 100k for a flight?

so you get to sleep in a nice bed and get good service, but if you grin and bare it for 12-15 hours in standard you'd save yourself 80k! think of that in beer tokens?

never understood how people can pay so much for a flight business class compared to standard when I look at the prices, end of the day its a flight and if you neck a few beers and do a few xanax your not going to notice it but hey I must be a just a peasant, or you lot have more money than sense!

I got a BKK LHR Biz flight for 100k in April with Etihad, makes Thai look ludicrous

You lot must be minted, why would anyone pay 100k for a flight?

so you get to sleep in a nice bed and get good service, but if you grin and bare it for 12-15 hours in standard you'd save yourself 80k! think of that in beer tokens?

never understood how people can pay so much for a flight business class compared to standard when I look at the prices, end of the day its a flight and if you neck a few beers and do a few xanax your not going to notice it but hey I must be a just a peasant, or you lot have more money than sense!

On the face of it it does seem rather insane that some would pay so much extra for 12 hrs of 'relative' comfort.

But the same could be said of eating in a nice restaurant, owning a more luxurious car, owning a larger house etc... we don't need these additional luxuries, some may call them 'trappings'..... its a 'trapping' if you can't afford it, its a 'luxury' if you can....

But....... wait until you have tried it... I've sat in economy in the past and thought whatever the cost, I want to lie flat - business just takes the majority of the stress and discomfort out of travel.

I'm healthy, still play sports etc, but I had a DVT in my 30's... I have no wish to sit for 12 hours in a cramped space and risk another.

My question is: If someone has the money, how could they tolerate sitting in Economy Class for so long?... This is just another opinion from a different side of the fence - every single one of us has different tolerances, different opinions and different financial conditions on travel...

I don't mind economy on a short flight, but an overnighter is a different matter - I don't care for the better service, faster check in etc... Its simply the lie flat seat that I'm after..

Business takes most of the hassle out of flying for me, easy to check in, nice and peaceful in lounge, nice and peaceful on flight, 1st off the plane and to immigration, different lane for biz passengers at some airports ( most ).

All of these make a massive difference if you're a frequent traveller.

On the face of it it does seem rather insane that some would pay so much extra for 12 hrs of 'relative' comfort.

But the same could be said of eating in a nice restaurant, owning a more luxurious car, owning a larger house etc... we don't need these additional luxuries, some may call them 'trappings'..... its a 'trapping' if you can't afford it, its a 'luxury' if you can....

But....... wait until you have tried it... I've sat in economy in the past and thought whatever the cost, I want to lie flat - business just takes the majority of the stress and discomfort out of travel.

I'm healthy, still play sports etc, but I had a DVT in my 30's... I have no wish to sit for 12 hours in a cramped space and risk another.

My question is: If someone has the money, how could they tolerate sitting in Economy Class for so long?... This is just another opinion from a different side of the fence - every single one of us has different tolerances, different opinions and different financial conditions on travel...

I don't mind economy on a short flight, but an overnighter is a different matter - I don't care for the better service, faster check in etc... Its simply the lie flat seat that I'm after..

I do get it, but when I look at the prices I just cannot see why you would pay that much for comfort, I mean 100K+? sure if it was an extra 10-20k I may consider it, but that is an insane amount of money to be able to lay down for me... I do have that money but I would sooner spend it on other things such as my son or my mother etc, it just doesn't make sense for that... I guess its similar to hotels where some will pay 20k for a nights stay in a hotel, when you can get a perfectly nice hotel for 2k..., but I always come back to the 80k extra could be spent on so much more than that x amount of hours you feel slightly cramped, its alot of money really

I mean some of the business class flights I have seen have been 150k+ as-well, that's just mad to me, Ive flown economy for 15000 direct and it was fine, I guess some people just have alot more money to burn, but even if I was a millionaire I don't think I would pay it!

I don't think you can compare it to a car or a larger house as these will return more if you sell them and hold more value, plus they are objects which you own but I do kind of get your comparison.

I fly to the uk and back to Thailand a good 5-10 times a year, if I was to go business class that would be a serious amount of money, a friend of mine was saying how most business class customers are having it paid for by the company they work for which makes sense a little more when you need to be fresh the next day for a meeting

Each to there own I guess, I do not want to mock anyone spending that as its your own choice but I personally cannot get my head around it

Cheers

• Like 1

I do get it, but when I look at the prices I just cannot see why you would pay that much for comfort, I mean 100K+? sure if it was an extra 10-20k I may consider it, but that is an insane amount of money to be able to lay down for me... I do have that money but I would sooner spend it on other things such as my son or my mother etc, it just doesn't make sense for that... I guess its similar to hotels where some will pay 20k for a nights stay in a hotel, when you can get a perfectly nice hotel for 2k..., but I always come back to the 80k extra could be spent on so much more than that x amount of hours you feel slightly cramped, its alot of money really

I mean some of the business class flights I have seen have been 150k+ as-well, that's just mad to me, Ive flown economy for 15000 direct and it was fine, I guess some people just have alot more money to burn, but even if I was a millionaire I don't think I would pay it!

I don't think you can compare it to a car or a larger house as these will return more if you sell them and hold more value, plus they are objects which you own but I do kind of get your comparison.

I fly to the uk and back to Thailand a good 5-10 times a year, if I was to go business class that would be a serious amount of money, a friend of mine was saying how most business class customers are having it paid for by the company they work for which makes sense a little more when you need to be fresh the next day for a meeting

Each to there own I guess, I do not want to mock anyone spending that as its your own choice but I personally cannot get my head around it

Cheers

If I was a millionaire I would also not fly business - i'd fly 1st ^_^