Bed Back / Tonneau cover.. Removeable ?

LivinLOS

Reluctantly given in and got myself a Hilux to shift my motorbikes around..

As the main reason for getting a truck, which I dont like, is to shift bikes.. Obviously I need to keep that ability.

I would like to add a bed back.. In a perfect world it would be one of the bed backs with integrated roll bar.. Like the carryboy GRX or GSR..

Carryboy seem to say these can be simply removed.. I dont mind a 10 minute job on this but it needs to be easy enough for one person ideally clips and not tools.. For when I need to take bikes to the track or woods. The GRX even states "Quick-release hardware means it goes on or comes off in seconds"

When I asked locally I was told by Thai installers than no, these covers dont simply unclip and its installed permanently.. Made it seem like the gas struts connections for the lid were complex and what I am looking for cant be done ?? Its full time bed cover or no bed cover.

Is this right ??

Do any of the bed backs come off / unclip easily ??

Also not interfering with the strap mount points up to handle bar location would help also.. Tho I can have new mount points made.

My Aeroklas lid for a 4 door Vigo can be removed in about 20 mins. Has 4 struts, each strut has 2 nuts attaching the lid. So remove 8 nuts and lift it off. BUT, it needs 2 or 3 people to lift it off or put it back on...

Non starter if its something I cant do myself..

Thanks for the info tho, thats exactly the reality I need to hear.

Never seen where the roller lid rolls up, or how it rolls up. It could reduce the area (bed length) you need to use.

Exactly.. The front wheel sort of needs to butt up to the front so if it rolls down into that space its not ideal.. Plus as a 4 door I can only get the bike in at a diagonal, usually leave the rear door down.

When you have time.. This sint something that I am doing right now.. Just trying to make my mind up if its desirable and which way to go..

I could leave it open.. I just think they look so much tidier and would be much better from a luggage security point of view.

I previously had an Aero tilt-up which actually came off reasonably quick but proved a bit of a bugger to align - in the end I only removed it a couple of times in 5 years.

My current Aeroglas plastic has electric struts at the fore which would be a nuisance to take on and off. Fully up it is too low to get a motor bike under.

So........ I'd look for a manually operated one as the attachments are simpler.

Spend a bit of time looking round car parks to see what is available.

the more complex with "built-in roll bars" etc are just plain awkward and, IMO, ugly.

Apparently tests have shown that any aerodynamic benefits are negligible

I previously had an Aero tilt-up which actually came off reasonably quick but proved a bit of a bugger to align - in the end I only removed it a couple of times in 5 years.

My current Aeroglas plastic has electric struts at the fore which would be a nuisance to take on and off. Fully up it is too low to get a motor bike under.

So........ I'd look for a manually operated one as the attachments are simpler.

Spend a bit of time looking round car parks to see what is available.

the more complex with "built-in roll bars" etc are just plain awkward and, IMO, ugly.

Apparently tests have shown that any aerodynamic benefits are negligible

I think this one looks one of the better looks..

Toyota_Hilux_Vigochamp_Sport_lid,Tonneau

This is the one cover that has any mention of removing it.. The carryboy site making a point it can unclip in seconds.. The opposite of the carryboy retailer here.. I think I need to go back with this model name and a picture and try him again..

I do also like the alpha SCR (Sport Cover) but they reply almost instantly to say its non removeable / doesnt clip off..

Anyway not the end of the world if I cant.. Thanks for the input so far..

This is the one cover that has any mention of removing it.. The carryboy site making a point it can unclip in seconds.. The opposite of the carryboy retailer here.. I think I need to go back with this model name and a picture and try him again..

I do also like the alpha SCR (Sport Cover) but they reply almost instantly to say its non removeable / doesnt clip off..

I'm getting the Alpha SCR Sports Cover fitted to my Triton tomorrow, Hopefully they've matched the paint (Titanium Grey) OK.

post-130068-0-91442700-1422521282_thumb.

The roller shutter lids take up about 30 CM of bed space , behind the cab . May be too much space lost on a 4 door . Simplelightweight clip off lid sounds like what you need .GRX sounds like the one , try another installer or the main HQ office .

I'm getting the Alpha SCR Sports Cover fitted to my Triton tomorrow, Hopefully they've matched the paint (Titanium Grey) OK.

Just had the Alpha cover fitted this morning, it looks great IMO.

post-130068-0-23981800-1422598792_thumb.

Looks like water can get in the back when ride in motion.......

Who are you responding to?

Sorry, your lid.....The edges don't come down far enough over the bed liner. I looked at a few types and the only one I found was the AeroKlas lid where the edges dropped over a ways to stop water ingress. Perhaps yours has a rubber seal....

They run a bead of silicone all around, and never heard of any problems with the Alpha lid, so will wait and see. It's the one I liked, so I'm stuck with it.

The Carryboy website lists both models as 30 mins to attach, and the quick clamps to remove quickly.

I put 4 eyebolts under carport. slide 2 ratchet straps under canopy, tighten, drive away.

Replacement easy - just back under it. One man job.

Quick coupler for the interior light.

• 4 months later...