Thai poll: Martial law vital to maintaining peace and order

webfact

I don't understand why Farang don't get it.

The situation in Thailand in nor normal. Most Thai wants to martial law to be in place as long as possible, because they feel safe. Else, Red Thai people killing Yellow Thai people almost everyday.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

Chotthee, I do not believe you at all.

I think you are a yellowshirt informer.

You probably have a government job.

You probably wentwith the other yellows to block the airport.

I live in the northeast,

During the redshirt demonstration in Bangkok, people in our village collected money to help them.

many got into pickup trucks to go the bangkok to support them, but were turned back by the army.

If the army had not done that, there would have been MILIONS of redshirts in Bangkok.

But the most important sign that PTP are popular was the thousands of red flags out the front of the houses in every village and town I drove through during that time.

In the North and Northeast over the month I saw red flags displayed out the front of all the houses on the main roads.

You are probably from Bangkok, you don't even know your own countrymen.

you live in a bubble called Bangkok.

Can you categorically say that they, OR their local leaders, WERE NOT PAID, to back the red shirt movement? Because I know some Isaan people who would say otherwise. Just to set the record straight, I DO NOT support either the reds or the yellows but I can support peaceful lawful demonstrations, something many Thais cannot do, and I oppose violent protests. At least the Coup stopped the violence in the streets and many Thais (including those from "red shirt' areas) liked that. And, of course, where to now? Only time will tell coffee1.gif

So long as martial law is in place, I don't see the US military allowing any of its servicemen shore leave in Thailand in connection with Cobra Gold military exercises this year. Under martial law the Junta has the right to arrest anyone with military forces and try them by a military court. I can't see the US government putting its soldiers in harm's way in that matter.

The US and Thai Governments can "negotiate" a way around that one if they wish. The precedent has been set elsewhere by others.

The situation in Thailand in nor normal. Most Thai wants to martial law to be in place as long as possible, because they feel safe. Else, Red Thai people killing Yellow Thai people almost everyday.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

I live in the northeast,

During the redshirt demonstration in Bangkok, people in our village collected money to help them.

many got into pickup trucks to go the bangkok to support them, but were turned back by the army.

If the army had not done that, there would have been MILIONS of redshirts in Bangkok.

But the most important sign that PTP are popular was the thousands of red flags out the front of the houses in every village and town I drove through during that time.

In the North and Northeast over the month I saw red flags displayed out the front of all the houses on the main roads.

Can you categorically say that they, OR their local leaders, WERE NOT PAID, to back the red shirt movement? Because I know some Isaan people who would say otherwise. Just to set the record straight, I DO NOT support either the reds or the yellows but I can support peaceful lawful demonstrations, something many Thais cannot do, and I oppose violent protests. At least the Coup stopped the violence in the streets and many Thais (including those from "red shirt' areas) liked that. And, of course, where to now? Only time will tell coffee1.gif

Well of course I can say that.

My wife's family and their friends weren't paid one baht.

i do speak quite good Thai and I certainly understand what is going on.

Until the old Bangkok family oligarchs and their military lackeys allow the people to freely elect the government of their choice, there can be no peace.

Why is that so hard to accept?

This country has been run by the same people for hundreds of years, born to rule as it were.

It's 2015 now, but they still think it's 1800 and they unwashed masses should have no right to determine how the country is run.

• Like 1

I live in the northeast,

Well of course I can say that.

My wife's family and their friends weren't paid one baht.

i do speak quite good Thai and I certainly understand what is going on.

Until the old Bangkok family oligarchs and their military lackeys allow the people to freely elect the government of their choice, there can be no peace.

Why is that so hard to accept?

This country has been run by the same people for hundreds of years, born to rule as it were.

It's 2015 now, but they still think it's 1800 and they unwashed masses should have no right to determine how the country is run.

"Until the old Bangkok family oligarchs and their military lackeys allow the people to freely elect the government of their choice, there can be no peace.

Why is that so hard to accept?"

Yingluck was freely elected and peace finally ceased, (amid much corruption and inept Government, aka rice scheme). Why do YOU find that hard to accept? Whether everyone agrees with it or not the Coup bought violent protests to a stop. You are not going to suddenly bring the country into first world standards just by having a free election. Attitudes need to change, education needs to be better, respect of law is needed and corruption by all colors needs to be eliminated or at least be called to account. That is not about to happen overnight, maybe it will be a generational change. If it is allowed to happen. EDUCATION is the key so that people can consider carefully who and what they are voting for. And at the end of the day, the country will THEN get the Government it DESERVES, rightly or wrongly.

"unwashed masses"?? Hardly complimentary to your family and friends are you?

I think, strongly, that until one has lived here for at least ten years and has taken time to effectively and pragmatically understand this VERY bizarre culture...... That it is near impossible to get your head around why things are happening and why the indigenous population think, feel and behave in certain head scratching ways. In this respect I think the Thais are right and many decisions made by US 'workers' in this field are coming from an American perspective.................... On the other hand......... This place is bonkers

I think, strongly, that until one has lived here for at least ten years and has taken time to effectively and pragmatically understand this VERY bizarre culture...... That it is near impossible to get your head around why things are happening and why the indigenous population think, feel and behave in certain head scratching ways. In this respect I think the Thais are right and many decisions made by US 'workers' in this field are coming from an American perspective.................... On the other hand......... This place is bonkers

If you are not born and bred Thai - "bonkers" could be a good call whistling.gif

I wonder who they polled? Karatchakan, the Thai Civil Service employees, get to count periods of martial law double for calculating their retirement benefits. that is, one year of martial law will count as two years in the retirement calculation. So far, my friend has an extra 7 1/2 years and counting. A bit of a conflict of interest there -- at least as to opinions.

To be honest I have noticed a difference since Martial Law was introduced and it has affected my life in Bangkok.

My girlfriend gets a bored waiting for her Thai soap to come on "Darling he's on the TV again" "Why he want talk too much" sad.png

• 4 weeks later...

They will not give up Martial law as they know given the freedom to express their view there would be a lot of Thai protesting the junta so they say shut up don't critisize or we will show you the error of your ways---- re-education/reconciliation center even for college kids giving 3 fingered salute.

The junta should have done what they said they were going to do when they first took over---"We are instituting Martial Law" --to control protests and open up the roads to travel, ect. But no right after they had the martial law they held a coup and are the only law in the land

The army is not the law of the land, the law is the faceless ones who call the army when power looks to be slipping from their grasp.