Time to trade her in for a younger model?

I'm a serial monogamist ..... I don't like to use more than one camera and I stay faithful to my camera for years.

I like to learn how to get the best out of her, how to find her buttons in the dark, how to change settings without taking my eye from her viewfinder.

I like to understand her strengths and her weaknesses - and how to work around those weaknesses or use them to my advantage.

My trusty Lumix G2 has never let me down, never embarrassed me in public, and I like the way she feels in my hand. Her ample handgrip lets me use my long telephoto all day, her metal shutter release button is a joy to press and her large battery has plenty of stamina. I know her previous generation sensor has limited dynamic range - but her tendency to clip highlights is an advantage when I want that all-white background to a portrait.

But recently I've noticed that younger models have much better high ISO performance, in-body stabilization for non IS lenses and a higher resolution viewfinder.

So is it time to trade her for a newer model? I've invested heavily in lenses for her - so there may be a cost to changing - unless I date her hot younger sister, (GX7), or her curvy friend (GH4). I've also been tempted by the exotic charms of the Fuji XT1 and the stylish OMD-1.

Please help with relationship advice.

• Like 2

As good as the XT-1 is, this is the problem change if you go this way as you'll need new lenses. As such concentrate on the other choices. The OMD-1 is the choice amongst them. Your lenses will fit and only the body will be needed.

• Like 1

As good as the XT-1 is, this is the problem change if you go this way as you'll need new lenses. As such concentrate on the other choices. The OMD-1 is the choice amongst them. Your lenses will fit and only the body will be needed.

Yes - good point. Same lenses (and flash) and better sensor plus in-body stabilization - seems like the best choice.

Body only in Thailand looks to be about THB 40,000?

But .......

Only reservation I have is that I'm not keen on the controls and 'feel' of the OMD-1. The menu system seems less user-friendly, the control dials have no labels as they need to be configured. I guess I'd get used to it with time - but when I hold the OMD-1 it feels less secure in the hand ..... more like it was primarily designed to look like a classic old camera whereas the Lumix G was designed to fit the hand.

Still .... you are right - on balance it's the best option for an upgrade to the G2 - but I don't feel 'at home' with the OMD-1 when I play with it in the shop.

I've even considered a G6 - but I don't think the advances make it worth the swap?

Surprised about the 'feel' dynamics of the EM-1 that you came across. I have a GH2 and decided to go to a more professional micro 4/3s and when I picked up the EM-1 at the store I was seriously impressed with the solid feel of it and balance. The GH2 felt like a plastic toy in comparison and the fit to my hand very comfortable and I have fairly large hands though slender not pudgy. wink.png

As with any camera, you get accustomed to the controls and knobs and one of the great features are the twin dual function knobs, one right off the thumb and the other off the fore finger so no need looking for labels. Plus all the buttons are customizable for your personal taste and purpose.

You can take a look at the Flickr Olympus EM-1 group for more user feedback and examples. https://www.flickr.com/groups/em1/ and the Flickriver pool - http://www.flickriver.com/groups/2285443@N25/pool/interesting/

• Like 1

I have had the GF1, the GX1, the E-M5, and now have the E-M1.

Olympus menus are harder to work through than Panasonic; but that is mainly because they have more options. And yes, the E-M1 does not have markings on the dials and buttons; but that surely is a good thing. There is no control marked ISO, for example, because you are free to stick ISO on any button or dial that takes your fancy (or none at all). It is by far the most configurable camera I have ever owned. I wrote a little thing which is about moving from the E-M5; but does describe the set-up options available.

I found the E-M1 sat well in my hand, except I wanted a little more depth, so I bought a Gariz half case which makes it more comfortable (for me). If you want more, there is the optional batter grip which Olympus Thailand have been throwing in for free in recent promotions.

It's a joy to shoot with; especially with the 5 axis stabilisation which is amazing.

If you already have some lenses for the G2, worth a look.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments and thanks FracturedRabbit for the useful review. I like the photos of the EM-1 in your Blog and I guess these were taken with your old EM-5?

I'm leaning towards the EM-1 ..... but have not ruled our the Fuji XT-1. I know I'd need to replace the current crop of Lumix/Olympus lenses - but I was thinking that the bigger sensor on the XT-1 may mean that I can get the tight depth of field using a zoom rather than needing to use a wide aperture prime lens - so perhaps I would need fewer lenses?

Looking at what you're shooting you might want to consider what lenses Fuji have that will achieve the effects you seek. I use a Fuji XE-1 and their zooms, as good as they are, are slow and might not be ideal for your purposes. Maybe more choice in the future though. For me I use their primes - 23 and 35mm and also have the M mount adaptor to use my M mount lenses.

Conversely, the OOC jpegs of the X-Trans sensor are simply superb and the RAW files are brilliant ( when you discover the recipe to process them! )

Food for thought I hope.

Edited by fimgirl
  • Like 2

Thanks all for the comments and thanks FracturedRabbit for the useful review. I like the photos of the EM-1 in your Blog and I guess these were taken with your old EM-5?

I'm leaning towards the EM-1 ..... but have not ruled our the Fuji XT-1. I know I'd need to replace the current crop of Lumix/Olympus lenses - but I was thinking that the bigger sensor on the XT-1 may mean that I can get the tight depth of field using a zoom rather than needing to use a wide aperture prime lens - so perhaps I would need fewer lenses?

As the E-M5 features in some of the photos, expect they were taken with the GX1. Sad man that I am, I still have all my M43 cameras... Lens was the Voightlander 25mm F0.95 which is good for shots like this (although not using F0.95!).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay - narrowed my choice of 'younger model' to 2 (or maybe 3) models ....

Sony A7 Mk II - I would need to buy new lenses as I'm currently a micro 4/3 user - but the larger sensor is a significant upgrade in IQ - and more importantly for me it can deliver a tight depth of field at an extended aperture range compared to smaller sensor cameras (that really need f1.8 or better primes for that really tight DOF) so in theory I would need a smaller range of lenses for the type of photography I like (portrait and street) and a decent zoom plus one prime may cover all my needs?

Olympus OMD em-5 Mk 2 - small and light like my old Lumix G and uses the same lenses - but better IQ and dynamic range and in-body image stabilization.

(Or maybe the OMD em-1 as it's available for around 40k THB now which is similar to the likely cost of the em-5 Mk2 ..... but I think I'll like the new simpler menu system on the new em-5)

Have discounted APS-C cameras as the IQ/dynamic range is very close to the latest micro 4/3, depth of field is not that different and I'd still need to buy new lenses.

Does this look like logical choices and reasoning?

Phra Ek,

Have a look for the new Sony FE 28mm f/2. It's only just out now, but it's fairly cheap (<£400) and first reports are good. For UWA the Samyang 14/2.8 is smokin' hot on the A7r. Samyang 135mm f/2 is also out and shows great promise at fairly small money.

Remember you can also adapt most lenses to the Sony E-mount system.

• Like 1

Nice shot! The full exif data does not show on your flickr site - but I'm guessing that the Samyang was not set at f2.8 for this shot? There's an impressive depth of field?

My theory about going for the A7 II is that the large sensor will allow me to get a tight depth of field for portrait photography without needing to buy a range of wide aperture prime lenses.

So I'm hoping that the kit 28-70 lens would be good for portrait work even though it's only a f3.5-f5.6?

And then perhaps add the Sony FE 55mm f1.8 and that's all the lenses I'd need to get me started with the Sony.

I could pick up legacy lenses and adapters later on - but I'm looking at initial investment.

My alternative is the Olympus OMD 1 or 5 Mk2 and get the 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens as I already have the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 primes - which is equivalent to 40mm and 90mm on the Sony.

But f2.8 with the smaller sensor may only give me the tight depth of field I need at longer focal lengths - then I'd need a bigger apartment to stand far enough back to get the shot!

If I'm going to change body/format I need to do it now before the investment in lenses locks me into one system.

Nice shot! The full exif data does not show on your flickr site - but I'm guessing that the Samyang was not set at f2.8 for this shot? There's an impressive depth of field?

My theory about going for the A7 II is that the large sensor will allow me to get a tight depth of field for portrait photography without needing to buy a range of wide aperture prime lenses.

So I'm hoping that the kit 28-70 lens would be good for portrait work even though it's only a f3.5-f5.6?

And then perhaps add the Sony FE 55mm f1.8 and that's all the lenses I'd need to get me started with the Sony.

I could pick up legacy lenses and adapters later on - but I'm looking at initial investment.

My alternative is the Olympus OMD 1 or 5 Mk2 and get the 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens as I already have the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 primes - which is equivalent to 40mm and 90mm on the Sony.

But f2.8 with the smaller sensor may only give me the tight depth of field I need at longer focal lengths - then I'd need a bigger apartment to stand far enough back to get the shot!

If I'm going to change body/format I need to do it now before the investment in lenses locks me into one system.

Here's one with the A7r and FE55/1.8 . . . .

16590645360_1670612fb2_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/16590645360/in/photostream/lightbox/

Open up to full size and look at the detail.

• Like 1

It's a serious consideration for sure. I dumped my Canon 5D classic for the MK2 simply because of dust bunnies and the Classic not having any cleaning mechanism.

Something for the OP to think about

Edited by fimgirl
  • Like 2