New Netflix style video streaming service to launch in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

New Netflix style video streaming service to launch in Thailand

700x336xsingtel-700x336.jpg.pagespeed.ic

SingTel, Sony Pictures and Warner Bros to launch video streaming service in Thailand

SingTel, Sony Pictures Television and Warner Bros have announced plans to launch a Netflix style video streaming service in Thailand and throughout Southeast Asia.

The companies, who have formed the joint venture startup HOOQ, have said they will offer more than 10,000 movies and TV shows ranging from Hollywood blockbusters and US TV series to local movies and programmes from India, Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand.

The service, which will enable users to stream and download content direct to their mobile device or desktop, will be available in the first quarter of 2015.

There are also plans to roll out the service in other countries in which SingTel has operations, most notably Singapore and Australia.

I wonder if Sony's recent demand that Netflix block users of VPNs, many of whom live in Asia, had anything to do with these expansion plans

----------------------

REQUEST TO MODS: Please delete duplicated post above. Thanks.

I just wonder how many people here have Internet connections with adequate bandwidth for video streaming. This is particularly going to be an issue if the services is hosted outside Thailand.

More importantly, I wonder how many of us will still have bandwidth once our neighbors can start streaming old episodes of Gomer Pyle USMC, dubbed in Thai.

Edited by impulse