A list of the 300 Wats in Chiang mai?

desi

I keep reading statements like "the official count for wats in the city alone is more than 300". But after asking both Thais and expats, I can't find a list anywhere. I only get the top few.

Does anyone have a list of the 300 plus Wats in Chiang mai? I'm wondering if it even exists.

Thanks cmsally and CMBob. I have a bit of time in CM so I thought I'd pin them on Google Map (photos included).

Should you want the info, I have a list of the temples within the areas I mentioned, the list indicating location, Thai names, and approximate English names.

• Like 1

When you read about 300 or so temples in Chiang Mai, they're referring to the province and not the city itself. In the old city, there are 38 temples (not counting 10-12 stand-alone old chedi's/ruins) and there are another 47 or so temples within the superhighway and Mihadol Road area.

As to the exact number within the city limits, I'm not sure as I'm not exactly sure where the city limits actually are located (e.g., most but not all of Tambon Chang Phuak is within the formal city limits of Chiang Mai). If, by the way (and off topic), somebody has a digital map of the exact city limits, please post it somewhere in the Chiang Mai section.

Like saying that Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand. BS never has been. Second largest metropolain area maybe.

Edited by khwaibah

Thanks cmsally and CMBob. I have a bit of time in CM so I thought I'd pin them on Google Map (photos included).

Should you want the info, I have a list of the temples within the areas I mentioned, the list indicating location, Thai names, and approximate English names.

Yes please. That'd be fantastic.

Sounds like a lot of work But would sure be a nice thing to have. Particularly if you had the locations.

A big project but if you have the time a darn good one.

It would hopefully be on the pinned list of topics here on the Chiang Mai Forum.

Probably way too long to post here. I have them in Word documents and I can email them to you if your should want (but do the email by private message, you sure as heck don't want to post it here).

Message on the way - and again, thank you for this.

Sounds like a lot of work But would sure be a nice thing to have. Particularly if you had the locations.

It would hopefully be on the pinned list of topics here on the Chiang Mai Forum.

It will be a lot of work but it's an interesting project to take on. I have a handful of books about the architecture/history of Wats so I'll learn something at the same time.

• Like 1

It will be a lot of work but it's an interesting project to take on. I have a handful of books about the architecture/history of Wats so I'll learn something at the same time.

Who knows you could come up with some thing as interesting as the thread on the Hippie Trails. Keep us posted if you come up with some thing particularly if it has a few details to make it more interesting. A lot of work but if it is some thing you have the time for and enjoy it go for it. With a little bit of information it might make Wat's more interesting.

Edited by northernjohn

I haven't decided how to go about it exactly (that'll come to me as I start compiling the information). As mentioned, classifying each Wat's architecture is thought. Finding the actual history of the less well-known Wats will be a challenge but I'll take a shot at it.

Last year I hit all the Thai language bookstores in Chiang mai looking for information but there wasn't any one book on the 300+, only a handful with either one Wat or a small selection of Wats. Perhaps I'll have better luck in Bangkok ...

I do have the series on Mural Paintings of Thailand (now out of print) and Introduction to the Thai Mural, but Bangkok and the surrounding areas are in the majority. I also have Buddhist Temples of Thailand but there are only a few Chiang mai temples there as well. But it does cover architectural styles (needed).

Thank you CMHomeboy! I was able to order The Chiang Mai Chronicle from Silkworm's online store. I have other history books on Thailand by Wyatt - I didn't realise he co-wrote one about Chiang mai.

• Like 1

Thanks, CMHomeboy. I've read two other of Wyatt' histories but was unaware until now of The Chiang Mai Chronicle. Bought a copy this morning at the Suriwong Book Centre on Sridonchai.

You're quite welcome.

The palm-leaf chronicles provide a lot of interesting information - albeit sometimes fabulous. They end in the 1820s.

Systematic and credible history writing began with the farangs who took up residence in Chiang Mai beginning in the mid-19th century.

The Rev.Daniel McGilvary's A Half Century Among the Siamese and the Lao. 1912 [reprint White Lotus 2001], could be recommended. The British railway surveyor, Holt Hallett's A Thousand Miles on an Elephant in the Shan States. 1890 [reprint White Lotus 1988], is another first-person account dealing with events that took place in Lanna T'ai during the late 19th century that led to the loss of sovereignty and dominance by the central government in Bangkok.

Silkworm, White Lotus, and Oxford in Asia have reprinted many texts that are relevant to Northern Thai history.

Good luck.

The Rev.Daniel McGilvary's A Half Century Among the Siamese and the Lao. 1912 [reprint White Lotus 2001], could be recommended.

We're perhaps veering off topic quite a bit but I'm quite familiar with McGilvary and ultimately the rise of the Laos Clinic, First Church of Christ, McCormick and McKean hospitals. Rather interesting stuff. I'll leave it at that as it's off topic.

When you read about 300 or so temples in Chiang Mai, they're referring to the province and not the city itself. In the old city, there are 38 temples (not counting 10-12 stand-alone old chedi's/ruins) and there are another 47 or so temples within the superhighway and Mihadol Road area.

As to the exact number within the city limits, I'm not sure as I'm not exactly sure where the city limits actually are located (e.g., most but not all of Tambon Chang Phuak is within the formal city limits of Chiang Mai). If, by the way (and off topic), somebody has a digital map of the exact city limits, please post it somewhere in the Chiang Mai section.

post-55418-0-97403200-1422891309_thumb.p

• Like 1

Thanks, Mapguy. I take it that is a map of the four wards/districts of the city. I see the southern (pink) one is named after King Mengrai, the eastern (yellow) one is named after King Kawila, the northern one is named (apparently) after the Ping river, and the western (blue) is named something like Siwichai. Anybody know the meaning of Siwichai?

Like saying that Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand. BS never has been. Second largest metropolain area maybe.

Actually it was The other towns which are larger now were once much smaller but in the last 40 years have had rapid growth due to industrialisation which Chiangmai has not really had.

• Like 2