Thai interview: A passion for teaching

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
A passion for teaching

Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

Prof Vicharn Panich is driven to help boost Thai teaching standards

BANGKOK: -- Though trained as a doctor, Prof Dr Vicharn Panich has spent his retirement years reading education-related theories, writing commentaries about how to boost educational quality and making real efforts to change Thailand's education for the better.

Vicharn, indeed, has practically made it his mission to promote the production of great teachers.

"I think there are too few good teachers these days," the 72-year-old man said during an exclusive interview with The Nation. "The rest are just pseudo-teachers".

In his view, pseudo-teachers are those preoccupied with their own interests, academic rank and pay level. Without any devotion to their students, these teachers do not care if most of their students fail to achieve learning objectives.

"Back in my school years, I found lots of good teachers," he lamented.

Last month, the Roong Arun School Foundation published a book to reflect Vicharn's hope to promote the production of good and respectable teachers, as he wants to see Thai children grow up in good hands.

"Inspiring teachers, with great teaching skills and devotion, should be able to raise the educational quality across Thailand," a part of the book's foreword suggests.

The book has a compilation of his articles about "teachers for students".

Vicharn considers himself lucky to have had good teachers in his childhood, one of whom headed to his home to persuade his father to send him to a medical school.

After graduation, he spent more than two decades as a lecturer. Looking back, Vicharn believes that long period was probably a reason why he has associated himself with teaching. "At heart, I am a teacher," he declares in the book.

Vicharn said teachers these days were prone to focus their attention on smart students, while ignoring the real needs of the average and slow-learning students.

"I am not going to say I am 100 per cent right. But I have come to this conclusion after observing the educational system for so many years," he said.

He noted that while the country celebrates whiz kids for their remarkable successes at international academic contests every year, it practically turns a blind eye to the fact that most students achieve far less.

"For society to benefit, we must not ignore the majority of children," he stressed.

Vicharn, now the chairman of the Knowledge Management Institute (KMI), recounted that he became obsessed with "dedicated teachers for students" concept after reading the book titled "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness inside Room 56", which was given to him by prominent educator Varakorn Samkoses in early 2008.

He was so impressed with the book, he started blogging educational articles on http://goto?know.org/blog/thaikm/tag/rafe.

In Vicharn's eyes, Thai educa?tional quality slipped over the past few decades because policies are flawed, while many government teachers have successfully bribed their way into their jobs and continued to use dishonest means to claim promotion and rewards.

"What can we expect from such dishonest teachers?" he asked critically.

Vicharn said while not all teachers were bad, a significant number were careful not to work too outstandingly for fear that their colleagues would get angry.

"From my perspective, any change must be done through a system. We need to foster a system that encourages teachers to work well and efficiently."

He said a KMI initiative had already kicked off at 20 pilot schools, under which everyone at the schools must be active in improving educational services, with school directors playing the lead role.

Vicharn hoped to encourage all Thai teachers to follow their Finnish peers' style of working. In Finland, students and teachers are in class?rooms together from 8.30am till 2.30pm only. After, teachers have discussions with the school director.

"That approach encourages teachers to be lifelong learners. Indeed, teachers must learn harder than their students," he said.

He also said Thai educators should stop putting academic excellence over well-rounded development. "To me, learning should develop humanity," he said, "We need to learn many more things, not just academic matters."

He said in the 21st Century, teachers should encourage their students to acquire and apply knowledge via activity-based learning.

"When they do activities together, smart students will learn listen and be kind to slower learners. They will get social skills too," he pointed out.

Although the Thai education sector is mired with many problems, Vicharn does not lose his hope. He has confidence that everyone can change and with positive psychology tactics, all players should be able to deliver much better performances.

"Let's share the success stories and tell all teachers how the contributions of each particular great teacher proves so valuable to children and the country. Then, we should see the differences," he said.

The powers-that-be should also have the guts, he said, to change rules and regulations that crippled the education system.

"Of course, there will be stiff opposition from those who will lose benefits. But if we go ahead with it, we should be able to achieve great changes," he said.

Vicharn suggested that officials from the Educational Council should work full time with the KMI for three to four years so that they step out of their old mindset and embark on new practical initiatives, which pursuing learning-based activities and a professional learning community.

In addition to sitting at the helm of the KMI, Vicharn also sits on a government-appointed steering committee on educational reform and serves as an active adviser to a panel headed by former deputy education minister Sirikorn Maneerin.

"Her panel has been introducing a new approach in about 300 schools. We hope these schools will set example for all other schools to follow," he said. There are now more than 30,000 schools in Thailand.

Vicharn said he believed everyone should help improve the country's education, wherever they can.

"In my capacity, I will do all I can including addressing educational issues on my blogs and delivering thought-proving speeches at events where I am a guest speaker," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/A-passion-for-teaching-30253173.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-02

In his view, pseudo-teachers are those preoccupied with their own interests, academic rank and pay level. Without any devotion to their students, these teachers do not care if most of their students fail to achieve learning objectives.

"I think there are too few good teachers these days," the 72-year-old man said during an exclusive inter?view with The Nation. "The rest are just pseudo-teachers".

In Vicharn's eyes, Thai educa?tional quality slipped over the past few decades because policies are flawed, while many government teachers have successfully bribed their way into their jobs and contin?ued to use dishonest means to claim promotion and rewards.

Pseudo teachers in white uniforms.Interesting what the "wise man" says......wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

"Vicharn suggested that officials from the Educational Council should work full time with the KMI for three to four years so that they step out of their old mindset". Three to four years? So when will the "mindset" change start? None of us will be alive when it starts let alone finish!

Edited by kingalfred

Yawn yawn, here we go again. Having "more good teachers" will improve education" .. Without going through all the reasons just one phrase ,"No it wont!"

Yes it will. "Without going through all the reasons...": what a croc. Explain yourself, or are you devoid of intelligent argument for this crass statement? Are you seriously suggesting that an education service filled with poorly motivated, poorly educated teachers will allow the youngsters to achieve their best?

What is needed is a sound and relevant curriculum with a broad skills-base to prepare the kids to go out into the rapidly changing world. This will only work with dedicated and suitably trained teachers. Only then can Thai society start to mature from its current state. It will be a long process, but make no mistake, education is the cornerstone to any real societal change.

I have no doubt that the universally-qualified experts of Thaivisa will be able to cobble together the ideal answer, so please accept my apologies for basing such a naive post on 40 years in education, including time as a Deputy Headteacher in my home country and time working with schools across Europe.

• Like 1

Yawn yawn, here we go again. Having "more good teachers" will improve education" .. Without going through all the reasons just one phrase ,"No it wont!"

Yes it will. "Without going through all the reasons...": what a croc. Explain yourself, or are you devoid of intelligent argument for this crass statement? Are you seriously suggesting that an education service filled with poorly motivated, poorly educated teachers will allow the youngsters to achieve their best?

What is needed is a sound and relevant curriculum with a broad skills-base to prepare the kids to go out into the rapidly changing world. This will only work with dedicated and suitably trained teachers. Only then can Thai society start to mature from its current state. It will be a long process, but make no mistake, education is the cornerstone to any real societal change.

I have no doubt that the universally-qualified experts of Thaivisa will be able to cobble together the ideal answer, so please accept my apologies for basing such a naive post on 40 years in education, including time as a Deputy Headteacher in my home country and time working with schools across Europe.

highlights your lack of knowledge of Thai culture and its thought processes and consequences for education. I remember the arrogant teachers, such as yourself when I was going through the Uk education system . Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 2

Poppycock and balderdash.

Typical Thai rhetoric. What could have been said in a few sentences took several paragraphs or pages or books.

His message was clearly that professional teachers don't teach and vocational teachers do.

What I fail to understand is that if you are the educated person that you throw yourself up to be then why would you proceed straight to vitriol in your second sentence.

I would say unto you, before you abuse criticize or accuse work a mile in our shoes.

Oh and in case you are wondering what my credentials are; I lecture in sociolinguistics.

• Like 2

"I think there are too few good teachers these days," the 72-year-old man said during an exclusive inter?view with The Nation. "The rest are just pseudo-teachers".

In Vicharn's eyes, Thai educa?tional quality slipped over the past few decades because policies are flawed, while many government teachers have successfully bribed their way into their jobs and contin?ued to use dishonest means to claim promotion and rewards.

Pseudo teachers in white uniforms.Interesting what the "wise man" says......wai2.gif

More games in class.

Teacher too seeliatt.

Play game deequaa.

• Like 2

Thai culture and corruption is what holds back education. Many schools fail because they are results driven, the results are manipulated so as to save face and make it appear that everybody learns & passes the exams. When there is no viable internal and external verification process results and standards pretty much lose all meaning.

Learning material effectively never seems to be top of any priority list; plays, shows and other non education related activities seem to take precedence.

A good teacher in my opinion / experience (8 years over 3 continents) is motivated and dedicated to giving their students a well balanced curriculum with several assessment methods that will let all styles of learner contribute and show their best. In Thailand when it comes to assessment it seems multi choice exams are the only way to test.

Letting students free to do projects and coursework after giving them some examples and guidelines should be the way to go. It will give all students the opportunity to create, whether or not they take it or not ultimately falls on their shoulders.

You can have the best curriculum in the world, the most up to date technology in the classroom, an administration that is free of corruption and self service, and a completely inclusive assessment regime, but if you don't have hard-working dedicated teachers who put the students' best interest first, NOTHING WILL CHANGE. Teachers ARE the cornerstone of education.

You can have the best curriculum in the world, the most up to date technology in the classroom, an administration that is free of corruption and self service, and a completely inclusive assessment regime, but if you don't have hard-working dedicated teachers who put the students' best interest first, NOTHING WILL CHANGE. Teachers ARE the cornerstone of education.

You can have the best teachers but if the curriculum and assessment method is failing and you are forced to use it, nothing will change. Edited by kingalfred

Teachers are just ONE corner stone.

Imagine a car, Four wheels and tyres.

When all inflated properly it will go anywhere... if only one Tyre or two tyres are inflated it goes nowhere, or limps along at best.. that's the Thai education system!!

• Like 1

You can have the best teachers but if the curriculum and assessment method is failing and you are forced to use it, nothing will change.

...added to that, inept management that fails to back up teachers. Poos school administration causes schools to fail. Without strong support from admin, teachers cannot fulfill their function. Teacher training/professionalism is only one issue.